Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

absorb vs. resist question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by squarewolf, May 4, 2005.

1. squarewolf

squarewolf IncGamers Member

absorb vs. resist question

sorry folks, i'm full of questions today (full of **** to some of you rude mofo's out there).

i got boots to replace aldur's advance but now i'm hurtin in the fire res department. the only items i can switch around are my rings and none of them have enough fire res to max (currently sitting at 27% in hell). can i put a dwarf star on and forget about it or will fire still kick my--

thanks in advance.

2. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Without complicating too much:
    15% fire absorb gives you ~30% fire resistance. So you'll be looking at approx. 57% res with D-star then.

3. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Absorb is calculated after resist so you will do quite a bit worse than 57%.

e.g. Monster does 1000 damage, 27% resist and 15% absorb:

1000 * 0.73 = 730
    730 * 0.85 = 620.5 (You will first take this much damage)
    730 * 0.15 = 109.5 (You will then absorb this much damage)
    Net life loss = 511

But, if you had 57% resist with no absorb:
    1000 * 0.43 = 430
    Net life loss = 430

I doubt that a monster could actually do 1000 fire damage, but I don't think you will just be able to put on a dwarf star and forget about fire damage altogether. Also it is important to remember that you first take the damage and then absorb. Treating absorb like secondary resistance only works if you have the life to take the initial hit.

4. squarewolf

squarewolf IncGamers Member

wow, was not aware of that. invaluable info!

thankyouthankyou.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Absorb works indepentently, coming into play after resist are applied. 15% absorb are like 30% res if your resists is around 0%. That means if you have 50% res and 15% absorb, it's like having 50%*(100%-2*15%)=42.5% res. This type of absorb is capped at 40%.

If you have a fixed amount of life to be absorbed (e.g. from Rising Sun), it's applied after that, i.e. if you have 60 absorb in addition, an attack which deals 300 points of damage will be reduced to 174 points and then 2*60 life will effectively be subtracted, for a total of 54 life. This type of absorb isn't capped.

Absorb works in two stages. First, the appropriate amount of damage gets absorbed and if you survive that damage, you will get healed by the same amount. I'm rather sure about the order in which it happens. I made tests with a character with 95% lightning res and 20 absorb from T-Gods and when a gloam shoots its ligthning at my character (a zealot btw), he was at full life thereafter.