Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Absorb, how does it work?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by xyzthorakzyx, Jun 3, 2005.

1. xyzthorakzyx

xyzthorakzyx IncGamers Member

Absorb, how does it work?

Let's say I have 20% lightning absorb and 75% lightning resist. How much damage do I take from lightning then? Or do I actually get healed from it?

2. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Im not completely sure, this should probably be posted in statistics so thrugg or rtb can accurately explain it, but I'll take a crack at it. Lets say a gloam shoots a lightning bolt at you; 75% of the damage will be resisted due to your inherent resists, then of the remaining damage being done to you, 20% will be aborbed by lightning absorb. It might be the other way around though too. 20% of the damage might be aborbed by your lightning aborb, and then of the remaining damage 75% of that is resisted.

So basically its like taking a percent of a percent. It doesn't stack to eliminate 95% of damage. I'm probably missing something, or don't have it completely right..

3. phatbrava

phatbrava IncGamers Member

ok
    lets say some monster hits you with 80 lightning damage
    having 75% LR mean that only 20 lightning damage passes your resist (80-80*75%=80-60=20)
    having 20% lighting absorb means that 20% of that 20 remaining lightning damage is added to your life pool: exactly 4 HP (20*20%)
    however, the rest of 16 will be substracted from your red bulb

4. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Thus, when you heal 4 hps and lose 16, you actually only lose 12 (after all effects took place)

In reality, you lose the 16 hps first, and then get healed back 4 hps :rolleyes:

And to add to what you said: the max you can get is 95% res and 40% absorb, thus you get a ratio of 1/20 damage that passes your resistances and 1/5 (40% hold damage, 60% dealt, 40% healed) passes your absorb, so 1% of the damage dealt gets through to you :thumbsup:

(keep in mind that in pvp damage is at 1/6 anyway, so with max res and max absorb the damage headed your way shrinks to 1/600th, in an example: 63600 lightning damage, about the maximum possible, does only 106 damage)

5. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

It is possible to stand in a fire and get healed by it with the right equipment.

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Actually the healing part of absorb is done before the dmg absorption. So if you're at full life absorb is only half as effective as when you're not at full life.

dang79: All it takes is a bit of fire resist and The Rising Sun. :rolleyes:

7. xyzthorakzyx

So the conclusion is that t-gods probably protects better than that ring I guess, hmm...

8. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Tgods absorbs lightning, the Rising Sun amulet absorbs fire. Also, they each absorb a fixed amount rather than a percentage. Therefore they would probably be more effective against "continuous" attacks like inferno or Diablo's lightning hose, than say a meteor or lightning.

9. xyzthorakzyx

That lightning in act 5 hell (from souls) is that a single hit or many hits. The only thing I have seen so far that makes me survive it is t-gods but I wonder of there is another way to survive them?

10. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Their hits come through as a string of lightning instead of a blast. However, their damage is half lightning/half physical (IIRC). Other lightning absorbs out there are Blackhorns Face (helm) and the good old Lightsabre. Teleportation is a good skill, and a tp amulet is the easiest way for a non sorc to get it. There are various strategies for different character dealing with the black souls, check the specific character forum for yours.

Good luck!

11. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

It's one blast doing 200 - 300 lightning dmg. Max resist +tgods allows healing for over 70% of the hits.

12. DeMeVeR

DeMeVeR IncGamers Member

i'm not sure where but i had read that souls do half physical and half light
    AND that the damage is dealth in 5 bits

but its long ago and i really cant remember or check if this information is still accurate

(if its done in 5 bits then tgods would be better than whisp --> resists and 5 times -20 damage)