Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Absolutely stunning literature

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SomeCanadianGuy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Absolutely stunning literature

I just finished my rollercoaster ride through 277 pages of absolutely incredible writing.

The novel is Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. Here's what the back of the book says:
    One of my teachers actually hounded me down to give me the book. He told me that I had one week to read it and return it to him; any longer, and I wasn't paying the book the proper attention it deserved. It's been since last friday that I've had it, and I've been reading it non-stop. I finished it about 20 minutes before starting writing this post. Took me so long to get here because I was having problems with my net connection. Not the point though.

Basically, I'm telling anyone out there to pick up this book. It might be a little bit tougher on someone who's only starting their teenage years, but I'd say anyone around 16 or older will get the core of this book. It'll take you an up and down journey through all the possible emotions you could imagine, and won't leave you regretting having picked it up for an instant.

And it really is extremely well written. There's a very clear evolution in the main character/narrator's persona, one that is distinguishably evident as the story progresses. The type of language used varies from something resembling a redneck drivel to an extremely concise and thought-out process near the end of the book.

I really find it to be an incredible and breath-taking story. And this is from someone who hasn't read a book in nearly 7 months for sheer lack of time. I've been reading it non-stop, in whatever crak of available time I've had since last Friday. I finished it roughly 20 minutes before starting to write up this post (it's 8 in the morning here).

I believe that I can say that it's such a well-written piece of litterature that it will cater to anyone's reading tastes and abilities, ranging from our resident TDL editor Anyee to the 1337357 of leetanese speakers out there.

Anyone about 16 years of age or older should be able to understand it without much of a problem, although people who don't speak English as a first language might not get some of the twists of language (paradigms = powerdimes, for example). I do believe that older people might like it more for the lessons learnt by the main character that reflect life so adequately, whereas the younger readers will probably like it for how well it reflects some of the complications of growing up.

Either way, pick it up. It's definitely worth your time if you consider yourself somewhat of a serious reader.

Here's one of my favorite quotes from the book:
    For some more info on the book, check out what Amazon has to say.

Now, is there anyone out there who's already read it and has any comments about the book, good or bad? I'd really be interested in hearing what anyone else thinks of it.

2. SomeCanadianGuy

Since no one seems to have taken much of a liking to this thread, I'd rather find some way to save it, rather than let it die like this... So I'll tweak the subject a bit.

What is the absolute best piece of literature you have ever read in your life. Whether it be a novel, a short piece, a poem, or anything else that involves the written word, what is it? Tell us a bit about it and why it moved you or marked your reading history so strongly.

That seem like a better subject to the thread?

3. kittenslayer

kittenslayer IncGamers Member

you've convinced me, i'll check it out at the bookstore next time.

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Where's Waldo.

5. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

reading must be a big thing in the OTF eh

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Books I've loved:

The Mysterious Island -- Jules Verne

I read this first in 8th grade, and totally loved it. Cyrus Harding is one of my all-time favorite book characters.

The Great Train Robbery -- Michael Crichton

I think this is Crichton's best book, although admittedly, I haven't read Jurassic Park. The research in it is great, and the story is phenomenal. Edward Pierce is also one of my favorite all time book characters. Probably the favorite. And Sean Connery plays him in the movie. I have yet to see the movie though :(

Lindbergh -- A. Scott Berg

This is the most recent biography of Charles Lindbergh. The things this man did for the early aviation community are simply amazing. The book also delves into the mystery of the Lindberg baby kidnapping and trial, and Lindberg's WW2 fiasco.

More to come...

7. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Where the Red Fern Grows...

*sob*

8. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I'll see if I can find a copy of that book.

As for my persoal favorite, it happens to be a kids book:

Maniac Magee - by Jerry Spinelli

All I can say is that as a 5th grade boy, I couldn't resist this story. The author has a unique writing style that makes it all more appealing. Now in college, I still read it again from time to time. So, if you think you are one of those people who "is a child at heart", go on and give this book a shot.

[edit] Where the Red Fern Grows was another pretty good book I read at about the time I read Maniac Magee. Uh, yeah, thats all.

9. SomeCanadianGuy

I said written word, sunshine. Not much written in Where's Waldo except for the title on the front cover and publisher on the inside... :p

I'm sorry, but huh? I don't understand. I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm just maybe a tad dense, but why do you say that?

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

The Ender's Game Series....all seven of em.
    Battle Royale
    Lord of the Flies(unedited)
    Where the Sidewalk Ends
    Light in the Atic
    Falling up
    The Da Vinci Code
    Times of Discombobulation
    The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Universe

11. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

That's as far as my attention span can stretch.

12. Alex_Str

Alex_Str Banned

Da Vinci code is a GREAT book that raises some legitimate real-life questions about Jesus Christ and the Vatican. It also has some VERY interesting facts that you would never even imagine. I definately reccomend it. For example...in Da Vinci's painting "The Last Supper", it's supposed to be a painting of Jesus and his apostles. But look closer, and you will see that the person sitting next to him is a WOMAN...and not just any woman, but his (suposed) wife! No I'm not a salesperson for Mr. Dan Brown.

This is the only back where after I read it I logged onto the internet and spent a good 45 minutes doing research. VERY interesting.

13. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

The Flivver King by Upton Sinclair is a great read. I liked it a lot more than i liked The Jungle. Its about the beginning of the Henry Ford dynasty

14. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

The Sword Of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

15. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

WordWar series but Harry Turtledove

16. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

The Silmarillion, The Catcher in the Rye and 1984.

17. Deramhus

Deramhus Banned

1984 George Orwell

18. Grawner

Grawner IncGamers Member

Re: Absolutely stunning literature

well, i must say, that it's a conversation between the great philosophs: Phaidro, Pausanias, Eryksimacho, Aristophane, Agathon and Sokrates. They talk about the god 'Eros'; love, beauty and all that.. Aristophane tell's his version and his understanding of Eros, and it is really a piece of art.. if you want a shortstory of his speech, just youtube his name: Aristophane :)

besides that, i must say that i love reading the work of the norwegian writer: Lars Saabye.
    and i'm a huge LOTR fan as well, more because of the whole universe, the whole idea.

19. Gigashadow

Gigashadow Banned

The quote you presented doesn't make much sense to me, taken out of context, I guess. I'll try to find your book, though.

Speaking of great literature... I prefer philosophers, really. I am not sure how you define literature, nor do I believe I read enough, I'll just list what I enjoyed reading the most:

The Harry Potter series (kill me)
    Dune and Dune Messiah (didn't read the rest yet due to school stuff)
    Fahrenheit 451
    Self-Reliance
    Huckleberry Finn
    The Girl and the Birdflyer

20. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

The Wheel of Time series

Heroes Die & The Blade of Tyshalle