Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

absolute best

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by bigballerpaul, Sep 5, 2006.

1. bigballerpaul

bigballerpaul IncGamers Member

absolute best

What is the absolute best weapon for a smiter? When I say best, I mean best combination of damage, speed, AR, and other bonuses for PvM and PvUber.

Grief Pb is the most common but what about ebotdz, lw pb, lwz, grief zerk, beastz, deathz, etc. I just haven't seen much about choices. Everyone says Grief Pb and I think that is just because everyone else says it. If anyone has experience with some of the other weapon choices I'd like to hear about it.

Other gear will most likely be fort, raven, hoz/pheonix/exile (when I get more info on that), gores, tgods/verdungos, dracs, andys(maybe delirium).

As always, thanks for the comments in advance!

2. TheBassman

TheBassman IncGamers Member

For smite Pvm and PvUber, Grief PB and LWPB are best.

~LesC

3. Kiba

Kiba IncGamers Member

Triple el el el wirt's leg is best imho for a paladin.

4. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Grief PB because +Damage will do more for you in terms of raw and consistent ($$) damage than anything else will, you can mold the rest of your gear around what you need and won't have to worry about the damage end (so I personally wouldn't recommend Pheonix over Exile).

PB because the inherent Indestructible quality will save you cash on repairs and the -30 base speed will reach Zeal and Smite breakpoints with any IAS roll. Range doesn't matter in PvM or PvUber.

Other nice qualities like Venom and -%PR help against PI's and ITD makes for a monster PvM Zeal weapon.

I've PvUber'd with PB Grief, PB LW, PB Death and BA eBotD. Grief was easily the favorite; I would highly suggest Exile for a pair though, as I dislike the frequency of Drac's Lifetap.

Dungo's is a PvP belt, T-Gods has much more favorable stats for PvM (remember +Vitality from gear isn't multiplied by BO, and with Fort you'd have 90 Light Res $$$). Both Andy's and Delerium are horrible PvUber helms. I suggest Guillame's Face for CB, DS and FHR and 15 Strength (do I need to explain why? :badteeth:).

5. kakobobo

kakobobo IncGamers Member

Not nearly as good as a ZodZodZodZodZodZod Phase Blade. You never have to repair the things!

6. bigballerpaul

bigballerpaul IncGamers Member

Thanks Yerba for the intelligent post.

So the enhanced damage I would get from using a Pheonix doesn't really matter? And if I went with an Exile, what would you recommend for gloves? Something crafted perhaps?

7. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

I use Fort, Grief, Guillame's and Gores and in normal play, with those items (50% DS) I generally never hit anything more than 2-3 times. Most monsters die in one hit. Nothing stands up to a full Zeal with all hits landing, not even Hell Cows. Super Uniques and Champions I usually see CB working but I never spend more than a few seconds with my mouse button held down.

I probably wouldn't even suggest using Fortitude if it wasn't such a damn nice PvM armor in general, because Grief really does generate a lot of damage very consistently.

The math and what I've experienced tell me that Pheonix is total overkill on damage, so if that would be your reason for using it I suggest against it. Pheonix also has some attractive properties besides the ED however, and I would listen to an arguement for using it to make use of things like Redemption, +max resists and the sexy Firestorm CTC. You would definitely get style points.

I chose Exile because I disliked how infrequently Drac's produced Lifetap, Exile and Lastwish were my options and after testing both I decided I couldn't leave Grief and here we are.

My advice would be: don't rely on stats from your glove slot. Make Blood crafted gloves, They come automatically with CB, ll and Life mods and can spawn with up to 4 affixes; think life, mana, dual leech and the Faithful mod.

As long as you don't factor gloves into your stats you can switch them out for say LoH for the 350% ED to Demons, in Ubers it would be just like having that Phoenix..