Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Abseiling!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Amra, Oct 16, 2006.

1. skihard

skihard Banned

I can think of no known fears that I might have concerning myself. I have fears that things might happen to my wife or the kids, but because whatever might happen is pretty much out of my control I choose not to let them bother me.

About 16 or so years ago I had a number of fears that I couldn’t rationalize and they had some effect on what I wanted to do or did. I “woke up” one day and said that I wasn’t going to allow a fear of going spatter on the ground from keeping me from sky diving, friends I had were doing it and were asking me to go so finally I said sure what the hell and went sky diving. I loved it and kicked myself for missing the opportunity to do it more. The friend was shipped off state side. That is one example of why I no longer have fears, I have apprehension about some things still, but nothing that stops me from doing or being part of events around me. Scary movies, aren’t. Haunted houses are boring because well, they can’t do anything to you or it’s a law suit at which point I’m rich.. I’m amazed at spiders so not afraid, snakes stink but otherwise nothing, heights are just a high spot and I think being very high on the edge of something is exciting not scary. I’ll continue to swim with a bleeding foot in waters frequented by sharks and have no worries. Sorry it bugs you that thinks don’t scare me.

2. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I think a bit of fear can be a good thing. It's all about balance.

On my first abseil after lunch, I felt sure something wasn't right with my harness or such. I felt sure I was going to fall to my death. After checking and rechecking things all seemed in order. So over the wall I went.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

It had side railings, so that wouldn't have been possible even if I could've summoned up the courage to swing around the outside.

I get this weird fear every time I'm in a situation where one wrong move would mean my death. It's bizarre, almost like my mind is programmed with some kind of instinct for self-preservation.

I've never found movies scary - they might get me to jump if something happens all of a sudden but that's it. The Blair Witch Project was the only movie that came close to actually scaring me. I've never been in a haunted house, although I have occasionally woken up in the Hour of the Wolf, for some reason that's always scary. Spiders are gross (the big ones anyway) and they do creep me out a little when they start darting around in random directions, but I don't think I'm arachnophobic. Snakes don't scare me at all, and the only time I'd be scared of sharks is if I actually saw one coming for me.

Apart from being acrophobic, I don't find heights exciting at all. All I think when I'm up high is that I'd rather be anywhere else. Even if I got over my phobia I can't see why it would be enjoyable. Each to their own, I guess.

4. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

Dondrei..you are just a wuss. Maybe if you got outside and stopped being on the forums 24/7 you may develop another hobby.

That looked like tons of fun. I would do it in a heartbeat..if I had the right partner :wink2: .

5. Dondrei

If the world outside has nothing better to offer me than jumping off tall things for no reason, I'm reminded of why I choose to stay inside.

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The first step over the edge is always hte hardest. Second hardest is the last step back on ground. Dammit I wanted to do more!

7. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

LOL!!

Ah, but we had a very good reason! :thumbsup:

I agree with the first statement but not the second. Landing is easy. But when you first go over the wall.... weeeeeee!!

So why don't you? :thumbsup:

8. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Diabloii.Net Member

My first experience wth this was at the ripe old age of 15. Going down a 100 foot cliff was a bit unnerving, yet exhilarating. I made them let me do it a couple more times.

For those interested, it was part of a JROTC summer camp I attended. Basically, watered down army boot camp for 2 weeks.

9. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

What I meant is the last step is the second hardest because I didn't want it to end so soon.

10. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

Ah, got it! :thumbsup:

My first time I was 13 or 14; not quite sure. Maybe 40 foot drops. I did it on and off until I was 18 where I did it at Philmont Scout Ranch in NE New Mexico. That was great fun.

Now, 21 years later, I am back at it. :jig:

11. Dondrei

So I'm curious, for those who have been abseiling, bungee jumping and/or parachuting, which one is most fun?

12. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I have only done the one so I can't say. I don't feel compelled to try bungee jumping but I'd jump out of a plane.

13. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

From what I've heard, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is the most fun.

14. Yaboosh

Yaboosh Diabloii.Net Member

Skydiving is indeed pretty amazing. What is most shocking is the absolute lack of a sense of falling. You have no reference point so you just seem to float. I highly recommend it. If you jump tandem (with an instructor strapped to the back of you), it requires a 15 minute tutorial before the jump and you never notice the guy during the jump.

Best 120 bucks spent in my life I think.

15. skihard

skihard Banned

well I've done 2 of the 3 and jumping out of a a plane from 15,000 feet and free falling to 4,000 feet was the most fun. I had to do that tandum with an instructor because I never made it past the 3rd jump. My first 2 were static line jumps from about 5,000 feet. A lot of Jump schools now have a training fan that you can get in to learn how to control fall. once you learn to fall in a controlled manner you can free jump without an instructor. It used to be 9 tandum jumps to learn to free fall in case you are wondering.

16. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

That sucks. I want to free fall on the first jump. hmmmm.... BASE jumping....

17. skihard

skihard Banned

The reason you need to learn to fall is because it only takes about 2300 feet (with gear on) to reach terminal velocity of 120 mph for a human. So that means you have 120 mph winds pushing against your body and if you don’t know how to fall you can beat yourself up to the point of becoming unconscious. If that happens who will pull your rip cord?

18. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

120 mph? Been there. gogo motorcycles!

19. skihard

skihard Banned

yeah I've done 160 on my ZX-6R, that was almost as much of a rush as the tandum jump

20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You had lots more weight and more importantly something to help break up those winds.

That said the Dell XPS is a crime against humanity. . .fugly thing.