Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

About WW speed...

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by CuteCathy, Feb 26, 2004.

1. CuteCathy

CuteCathy IncGamers Member

About WW speed...

About WW speed...
    The info on D2.net says that only IAS on the weapon itself has any effect on the WW speed...

For example, 2-hand sword's WW break-point is at -10 and -35.
    So... for a 0 speed 2-hand sword, I just need to add 35IAS (shael and a jewel) on the sword to make it reach 2nd break-point? or that added 35IAS has a demonishing return for WW as well?

2. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

I think you worded that last part strangely...

But, yes. If a Sword has a base speed of 0, and you add 35%Ias Directly to the sword... you'll hit the last ww bp.

Any IAS from a source other than the weapon doesn't count.

3. CuteCathy

Thanks, alainpp66. Sorry for my strange wording.

That solves the question. So, the IAS on the weapon is counted as straight speed increase for WW.

4. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Yes. Diminishing returns is happening, but behind the scenes. That is where the breakpoints are coming from.

5. CuteCathy

So...

"weapon IAS diminishing return only apply on the general attack speed, and it does NOT apply on the WW speed/hit rate"

If above statement holds true, then:

for WW, "-10 speed weapon + 25 IAS on weapon" equals to "0 speed weapon + 35 IAS on weapon" in speed/hit rate...

6. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Correct. :winner:

7. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

That math also is true for all attack speeds, not just WW.

The diminishing returns gives you the breakpoints, like Thrugg said, and it has nothing to do with adding attack speeds.

It just means that, for example, the first breakpoint is 10 ias, the second is 30, the third is 80, fourth 160 and so on.

8. CuteCathy

Then it is very much different...

If what you said is true, that diminishing is in effect for all attack speed... then it is ---- for WW, "-10 speed weapon + 25 EIAS on weapon" equals to "0 speed weapon + 35 EIAS on weapon" in speed/hit rate...

And NOT as what I have concluded ---- for WW, "-10 speed weapon + 25 IAS on weapon" equals to "0 speed weapon + 35 IAS on weapon" in speed/hit rate...

Further... I believe "breakpoints" are more according to/based on FINAL EIAS, not IAS. What I am trying to understand was "for WW, IAS on weapon = EIAS on weapon?"

alainpp66 and Thrugg, suggestion?

9. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Sorry Cathy, I think I see the confusion.

Yes, IAS applies directly for WW - as it is usually referred to, AIAS = WIAS - WSPEED (AIAS is "actual IAS")
    For normal attacks though, IAS is diminished before being added on: AIAS = SIAS + EIAS - WSPEED (SIAS is "skill IAS", EIAS is "effective IAS")

Both AIAS values then get put through another diminishing formula which produces the breakpoints.

The key difference is that normal attack AIAS includes IAS from all gear but is pre-diminished, whereas for WW (and some other special attacks) AIAS includes only WIAS counts but it includes it directly.

The diminishing formula for normal attacks is EIAS = (IAS * 120)/(IAS + 120), if that is useful.