Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

About to tackle the hell ancients

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Rhonlyn, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Rhonlyn

Rhonlyn IncGamers Member

About to tackle the hell ancients

My hybridzon is almost ready to "do" the ancients in hell, after having her backside kicked last time. I have a couple of questions though,

1) Are the ancients undead? I ask this because I just picked up a set of ghoulhides which would help alot with undead @lvl 89.

2) Best weapon for defiance merc for these guys? I have eth kelpie snare, low reapers toll and a low bonehew with 2 clean sockets. Reapers seems most efficient usually, but does decrep work on the ancients?

any advice here would be appreciated, thanks for your time.

2. Turbocannon

Turbocannon IncGamers Member

Re: About to tackle the hell ancients

1) No.
    2) I think it does, as do all other curses.

3. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

1) No Ancients are Barbarians. With a hybridazon LF, CS and strafe or MS backup , you are better off using Charged Strike and a good blocking shield for Non Lightning Immunes. If you have some gloves with IAS these will be of more use to you because the leaper in target you immedately as a ranged attacker. CS and LF are autohit.

2) I think the Reapers is the best merc choice and Decrepify is has a small area of effect. Once it goes off the Ancients will slow,

In my view , your zon needs to keep moving and keep your Merc alive, if she had a decoy or valk cast these or get the valk to stand near the altar before activiating it so she tanks one of the ancients. use slow missiles on the thrower. Spread piotions of healing and full rejuvinations of the ground around the Arreat summit so you can pick up potions quickly when you run short. You may need to reroll nasty mods like Extra Strong, Cursed, Fanatasicm, Might. If you can 1 on 1 with a non LI ancient and take him down , the fight should get easier. GL

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  4. Rhonlyn

Rhonlyn IncGamers Member

Thanks for prompt replies, guys, I will use some other gloves. I only have FA in bow tree, and 1 hard point in magic arrow, so with mostly FA I havent got any other IAS (using lycanders bow). Didnt think it would matter much as I only use it against lightning immunes.

For my merc, I have a socket quest but didnt want to waste it on a non eth, low reapers...would it be worthwhile?
    Also I plan to give him shaftstop and either tals mask or the vamp gaze which has served me well till I traded a shako(go +skills!).

She does have a lvl 18 valk, 4 levels stronger than before( valk melted pretty fast at lvl14) so I'm hoping she can tank alot better.

5. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Thyiad made a tips thread quite recently, this has lots of useful info iirc

6. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

Stop, Gaze and Repears for merc if you have them. That will give his best chance of tanking. Spend the socket quest on your character first to sure up lightning fire and cold resists first using runes such as ort, thul and ral if you are on a budget. Once the sockets are in your gear you can reuse the gear or resocket it with more useful stuff later THe tips linked to by lionheartthe brave are very useful

7. Rhonlyn

Rhonlyn IncGamers Member

Some good stuff there, lionheart thanks for the link. I found some marrowwalks a while back, that'll take the odds down quite a bit.

Edit:Ted, I will equip all that on my merc, My resists are fine thanks to charms, amulet, Tgods and vipermagi...More worried about keeping merc and his aura alive! So a socket in the reapers, or the Gaze might help us both.