Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

About to start fire ele druid ladder sc useast. yr thoughts on vit vs. dex?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by inkanddagger, Feb 23, 2004.

1. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

About to start fire ele druid ladder sc useast. yr thoughts on vit vs. dex?

Okay guys, starting at 12am est (thats 30 minutes from now!!!!) i'm going to start levling a new fire druid for PvP play I finally have enough equipment on the ladder to pull this off. Anyways, I ain't rich enough to afford chains or enigma on the ladder so this is what I'm going to wear:
    Shako
    +2Valor
    Storm Shield
    wiz spike
    bul kath, raven
    25 maras
    arach
    magefists
    probobly war travs for str and vit bonus - possibly aldurs.

Now my question to all of you is this: My valor and SS currently have Um in them - shoul dI trade for hel'd versions? Doing do is only going to save me about 23 ststa points, and in my mind 23 vit only = 46 more life points.

In fact, druids in human form get ripped off considerably at only 2 life per vit invested.

So my question to all of you is this:

Shall I get enough str to wear SS with items and annihilus, and then put every last point into vit, or shall I get that much str, enough dext for max block with items, and then dump into vit?

I'm only going to have enough stat points for a single point into oak sage, and a single into ravens. So my sage with +skills might be doing 80% life - and sages get killed quikly.

2. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

Read this... i think fire druids are a waste of time:
    http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=137975&highlight=fire+druid

but to answer your question:
    nuff dex to max block, nuff str to hold gear, rest in vit

but seriously.. dont waste your time on a fire druid for pvp... only viable in pvm... i have a wind druid that is only level 80 and it BY FAR outshines my deleted fire druid... and my fire druid had some godly stuffs too...

read my review and head my warning. DONT MAKE FIRE DRUID FOR PVP THEY SUCK BALLS!

thnx
    stef

3. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

You remind me of all the people back in 09 when I used to join a cows game with my elemental druid - Immediate cries of OMG NOOB ELEMENTAL DRUID! NOOB DRUID SUCKS! ELEMENTAL DRUIDS ARE ***! WTF SPELL IS THAT YOU NOOB DRUID? WHY ARENT YOU A WOLF?

But I consistently killed everything in the game faster than any other class with the exception of 40 290 winforce multishot zons, and godly kinged nova sorcs.

I despise the superpresence of the storm druid build now in 1.1, people who used to make fun of me in 09 are now making some of the very builds that I used to thrive on then. "Wind" druids are boring, and they are lame.

I am going to prove it by owning every last one of them with my dedicated fire elementalist. Trust me, I know how to use them. I've been using them for years before you even knew that there WAS and elemental tree on a druid. Fire build have the advantage of being bale to use ACTUALLY USE every single one of the skills they invest in. I can still get a little bit of ele absorb from cyclone, I can still tunlock people with twisters, I can still slow people with hurricane (which is all wind druids do with hurricane anyways - face it it still doesnt do godly damage in 1.1) and If someone is chasing me down even a single point investment into armageddon will do 4k damage per hit - which can actually kill people, very unlike hurricane.

Of course I wont have a 5k spamable skill, but I will be able to consistently keep people away from me (molten boulder), keep people away from me (click lock myself with fissure) and keep people away from me(armageddons falling for 50 seconds). If someone thinks they can stand in one spot and spam a skill at me (fireball, orb, TORNADOS) I can and will click lock them with volcanos - which at 75 hits over 6 seconds will do 120k damage to a single hit PER VOLCANO - and I can have 3 vocanos under them at the same time. That's 12.5 hits per scond, which still means that I'll be getting in 14k damage in one second with a volcano.

Once I get it done I will gladly challenge all of you.

Now, instead of flaming (ha!) my flaming elemenatlist, hlp me out and tell me whether you think I should go for an all vit or a max block build and why.

4. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

I agree w/ you inkdagger ... many people down put things to much when they have never tried them. On east in 09 it used to go Bear > wolf > elementalist in pvp .... then a few guys smokin/df/me and a few others (been so long i forgot the crew) got together and helped started the elemental era on east, then people started saying ele > bear > wolf. Wolf and bear was very debatable as always but at the end of 09 ele's owned in druid vs. druid pvp.

I also agree that fire druids have a ton of potential in pvp and that no one has exploited it yet b/c they are lacking MASS damage that everyone looks at, but w/ the right strategy their skills are actually BETTER than a wind druids, they again just lack damage. Of course except the one wind druid skill that makes them overpowered is cyclone armor.

To answer your question. I personally ALWAYS go max block whether pvp or pvm, its just a habit. But for pvp it is a must IMO. As for whether you should trade for a hel'ed version is NO, NO MATTER WHAT NEVER I REPEAT NEVER DO THAT !!!!!!!! If anything trade it for a clean or socketed one + a -15 req second mod jewel. Whoever came up w/ the hel'ed ss didnt look at the obvious better choice .... -15 req/ ANY SECOND MOD jewel, maybe a fire facet would do nice.

As for ss I did put a -15 req/+some resist + mana after kill + some stupid mod. jewel in mine however i havent done research to decide if its better in .10. I will look into this and get back to you sometime tomorrow, but for now i would go max block (take into account +raven dex, annih, water walks)

Oh yea on the boots water walks w/ 60+ life give the most stats together so i would recommend them over your previous choices. 60 / 2 = 30 stats, +15 dex = 45 total stats from water walks.

Again on mara's i would look for a better ammy, I hate mara's w/ a passion b/c all it is is decent mods nothing 'great' about it. I know you said you couldnt afford much but a try crafting a few caster ammys you might get lucky and be able to get that ammy out of the way :lol: .

You might want to reconsider arachnids as well. Again i havent tested out a fire druid so these are just things coming to mind. Reason I think arachnids is good is b/c +1 skill AND fcr, however fcr isnt going to be necessary for you really b/c most of your skills are timer'ed. So the debate would be +20 str + +20 vit on t-gods OR 30+ vit/fhr/finished off dr (verdugngos) vs. +1 skills. Just a thought.

wiz spike ... i like it a lot b/c resist can be a pain to get and w/ wiz you get a ton, and socketed w/ a good resist jewel you'll get +90 all resist this will mean that you can take off a lot of other +resist items and replace them w/ gear that has better mods. Other option suicide branch.

A good raven lore might help you more here not sure ... reasoning is b/c it adds +1 but more than that the -fr it gives the person your attacking.

Good luck and let me know what you decide on :clap:

5. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Oh yea all go str + block rest vit. why .... b/c blocking is essential it was for 09 druids and it still is. think of it this way ... all vit will get you about 3k maybe 4k life. (good gear and no cta). Now imagine having max block w/ 2k life (not that great of gear) Which would you take, expecially considering that most duelers go 'high powered' attacks. So even w/ that extra life chances of you surviving are slim, however w/ max block your chances increase greatly. I have been whirl winded through many of times on my 09 build and lived .... i doubt that would ever happen w/ max vit build

6. Tor

Tor IncGamers Member

agreed

a fire (my preference) would be alot omre unique and has more potential than a wind because it has long range skills made for killing casters/zons(volc/fissure) casting volc under a shooting zon hurts, then a fissure while shes running..ouch... armageddon would just be a skill used with firestorm to deflect melee opponents and make them give you some breathing room

7. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

well. i agree it is fun to see new builds but i don't think fire druids are better than wind druids.

First of all. Fire druids use Fire for their primary damage over physical damage from wind druids. Fire is by far the easiest resist to up. All you need when you see a fire druid in pvp is to place your two dwarf stars and nokozan amulet on. And instantly you've got 30% Fire absorb and 85% Fire resist.

Now, your 4k armageddon blast gets cut in quarter in pvp according to the information on this site becoming 1,000. With 85% fire resist. this becomes a measly 150 points of damage. Add the fact that 30% fire absorb then becomes 300 absorbed. Your armageddon will actually heal them.

And. Even with a fully maxed out Armageddon of skill level 50. Which is the ultimate max(i believe) you would normally do 18386-20012 damage. Which in pvp becomes a maximum of 5,003 points of damage. 85% reduced of that becomes 751 points of damage to the person. With 30% absorb your enemy will take 751 points of damage. (which is good) but then will heal after taking that damage 1,500. Negating your damage all together.

Your only real hope in pvp is with molten boulders for their physical damage. But they are easily avoided compared to other classes skills getting up next to you. Volcano might be hopeful...but any good pvper knows to keep moving so the damage will be hard to get off before any class closes to smite you.

So while i think the fire druid is a good PvM for some fun. it's pvp uses are low as far as i know. But please correct me if i'm wrong.

8. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

dont forget about the eliteness of volcanos people.

9. Snarlin Stef

^^ read my link b4 you put it down... i bet you dint even read it... i bet that link uses the same setup that you will use... not to mention better gear... i did try to make a pvp fire druid and he sucked and i talk about it in that link.

look.. im all for trying new things.. i try it all the time... so please read up on the paths that others have walked (ie: in this case my pvp fire druid) and learn from it.
    thnx
    stef

10. Snarlin Stef

voice...

fire druids can pour out a lot more dmg than wind druids.. they lose out on the pvp field because geddons is too random to ever hit consistently and the fire spells have these MONSTER casting delays... basically you will be dead before you cast your 2nd volcano.

read my link... i tried to make a fire druid and i talk about it. Geddon can easily do over 15k dmg. with the right gear.

fire druids suck at pvp... they are great at pvm. READ MY LINK B4 YOU PUT MY OPINION DOWN. I back what i say with proof and personal experience and i posted about it so i was giving yall the link to read *why* i said they suck pvp.

thnx
    stef

11. Snarlin Stef

thepopo is exactly right in what he is saying... that is the same conclusion i have about my pvp fire druid from personal experience...

READ MY LINK PEOPLE b4 you go on this long rant how they can own... why not do some backround research to see WHY you dont see fire in the pvp field.

thnx
    stef

12. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Popo you don't know how absorb works.

13. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

I did read yours, you apparently didn't read mine.

do the research? didn't tell you that I've been destroying people with elemental druids since the early days of 09 - back when no one even knew there was an elemental tree there?

didn't I tell you some strategies to use towin in PvP?

why insist on only trashing geddon? geddon serves the purpose on the fire side o fthe tre that hurricane does - defensive. Did you try learning how to use molten boulders to kep people away from you? Did you try spamming twisters on people while a volcano burns away under their feet? Did you try cating firesotrm and then running through it, forcing others to run through it? Or did you just run around like a mad man hoping your armagedon would actually hit someone?

14. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

fenris I give you mad respect - and that's why I look forward to tearing you a new one one of these days :D

and why are voice and tor the only people who made an effort to answer my initial question?

15. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Because I'm Rick James *****. :lol:

16. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

No, No - I'M Rick James.

17. thepopo

thepopo IncGamers Member

sorry fenris. i was just going by what the arreat summit said. perhaps you could correct me or let me know then.

18. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

we're the only ones that attempted to answer b/c we're the only ones that think these druids have a lot of potential. I havent read that link ... i'll try to get around to it some time and post some opionions on your debate but i been extremely busy lately.

As for the basic arguments .... do you know how many people tried elementalist before they became good pvp's on east??? Lets just say there was 3 eras (that i recall) where good players tried to get elemental druids good ..... it wasnt til the third era that elementals actually did good in 09 east. I was part of two of those eras, yea i sucked during the first era, didnt join second era, remade on third era and owned. Each era was close to a year apart so it wasnt an ongoing thing since each era only lasted like 2-3 weeks, considering how easy lvls were to get.

My point is Sometimes it takes different items, gear, strategy, ideas or anything else that might help to find a way to make a build good. Some builds dont have skills like tornado + hurricane + ca that make them instantly good, ( I mean one of the ideas that took off was a pure summoner, that means no oak / raven / animals etc.). And they did VERY well in pvp so weird ideas that people come up w/ and work might be what this build needs.

As I stated above dam is lackin in this build thats why more / or less when dueling w/ this build your duels will be rather lengthy (no 1-3 tornados to finish of a character), more like 20-50 volcanos to finish someone off.

After that stated I WILL READ THAT THREAD ...... sometime in the next couple of days so dont go bashing my thoughts until i reply w/ what i b/c no i havent had the chance to read it yet.

19. wolfstar

wolfstar IncGamers Member

I think both builds are of equal strength. It all depends on the skills of the person who are using the build. If both are equally skilled, it just boils down to luck.

Btw, how does absorb works?

20. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

Okay i looked at the tread and noted that i already looked at it before.

observations.

-no cookie cutter fire builds yet b/c no one made one worth mentioning (that i know of) and well ... there are various options for fire druids which may be more complicated in deciding on what skills to max. Wind druids are set up so easy that anyone could figure out max ca / tornado/twister/hurricane / oak. Fire druids have to decide between, fire storm, mouten boulder, fissure, volcano, geddon, and oak. Granted maxing mb and volcano and fissure are the first no brainers. Then you have to decide mass dam finish off synergies + geddon or life (oak + rest in synergies). Because of this depending on your other options fire druids are hard to make a cookie cutter. Only decision wind druids have to make is not to max out artic blast ... if you make that mistake ... ouch.

- Didnt list your stats but im hoping you went zero str(or close to it, max vit, max block and zero mana route.

-how much run walk you got on ? I'm not possitive on run/walk bp's been so long since i used it ... i would aim for around 130ish f run/walk, shouldnt be to hard to get now w/ enigma out.

- if you didnt use volcano that is a big no no ... i used to think it blew too ... its actually necessary in this build since geddon can be more or less negated physical damage is necessary.

- did you try to use any of the wind skills? they wont do mass damage but can be used as a distraction. I mean if you hit 99 fcr throw down a timed skill ... you can almost instantly start casting wind skills why not use that to your advantage instead of running around only using half of your skills?

-also I agree it would be hard to make a good fire druid but by no means impossible. But i got a question, if you put 1 in every elemental skill and no oak ... why not use both sides of the tree? Makes no sense. If you used oak i can see that it might take away a big part of your synergies.

But here is my suggestion.( personally I think this would do VERY well vs. wind druids.)

max ca, tornado, mb, volcano,fissure. 1 in oak. that would take me to lvl 95 and give w/ good gear mind you:

1290 absorb
    2.3-2.4k tornado
    2.2-2.3 fissure (for them runners)
    877-844 phys 950-1041 fire damage on volcano (for tele'ers if used right)
    mb is just synergized to up that volcano physical damage. These guys also OWN hammerdins btw .... a hammerdin has to stop to cast multiple hammers volcano under him ... BAM do that a few times they are dead.

A pure fire would work well too but GOOD run/walk + tele is almost necessary IMO.