Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

About to start an untwinked zealot, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Disposition, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Disposition

Disposition IncGamers Member

Just curious from anyone who's played a zealot before if they have any recommendations/leveling/things I don't need/things I do need, good runewords to make as I level, benchmarks ect!

drmalawi likes this.
  2. drmalawi

drmalawi IncGamers Member

Holy Fire through Normal. Holy Fire can take you almost all the way through nightmare, When you can make Holy Thunder runeword go with Holy Shock. Or save a respec into fanat when you get a good weapon. You can grind Nightmare Mephisto a bit and try to get like headstriker or butchers pupil or fleshrender. Rhyme in Exceptional/elite paladin shield is nice in Nightmare and hell. Strength or Black on switch for smite single targets. Stealth and Ancients pledge (in paladin shield) is good in normal. If you go fanat, lawbringer is nice to make on switch for physical immunes.

3. Disposition

Oh so don't zeal through normal/nm? Do a swap? xD I never thought about that, holy fire can probably take out NM andy rather quick for farming too hey... Buchers can drop off NM andy. I planned to make a Rhyme in NM, I think that's a good zeal shield, nothing worse than going from attacking 100x / sec to 1. :D I was just going to go fana/zeal from the hop, I'm level 20 already and it seems to be going fine but I'm pretty sure it could be faster... maybe I'll use my norm respec, does anyone else have a similar opinion?

4. Trapin'

Trapin' IncGamers Member

I would go zeal/fana from the hop. Remember to max fana before zeal and you'll be fine. If you can get some MF stuff and then find a decent weapon, that's going to carry you a long way. Remember you can always use 2 handed weapons with zeal as well! As far as gear and what to use, i'd browse through arreat summit and check out the cheap runewords and low uniques that are accessable to you at low levels. At level 20 you can easily make the low level essentials: Stealth, Lore, Malice, Steel etc...

drmalawi and ioupainmax like this.
  5. drmalawi

Yes 2H zeal fana is really powerful early on

Holy Fire could get you trough almost entire Nightmare without problems even on high playersettings. As you said, NM andariel will be piece of cake even at high playersetting (farm some gear)

Another option for weapon is if you get an ethereal crystal sword or dimensional blade and use imbue quest. You can then upgrade to indestructible phase blade in cube (if u got the runes)

I have a diary for a HC auradin on youtube aswell, perhaps check it out

6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

The only thing that really holds back a fanazealot is physical immunes in Hell. Yes you will have a general lack of great weaponry but that just slows you down, it's the immunities that will stop you dead in your tracks. There's a few ways to solve this problem, the most obvious of which is either Amp Damage or Decrepify from a ctc weapon or wand. The second option is elemental damage either from a secondary aura like Holy shock or a weapon like Gimmershred. The third and potentially least fun option is to simply run past them.

7. Trapin'

Trapin' IncGamers Member

Finding elemental damage is probably the easiest option if you're able to do MF runs? Something like barnars star or azurewrath in late game.

8. drmalawi

difficult to run past them PI in Maggot lair and Arcane Sanctuary :(

9. Disposition

Lawbringer seems like an easy runeword to make as long as you can get to countess in hell? Thanks for the rest of the tips so far however. :)

10. drmalawi

Or is lucky at the Nightmare Hellforge

Problem is that there are physical immune ghosts in the tower. You could go for one point into sanctuary since it removes physical immunities of undead.

11. Disposition

Presently I'm in A3 Norm, haven't had an upgrade since A1 sometime weapon wise and even rats are taking like 5-6 hits to kill, very slow progression... nothing like a sorc lol, going to be a very long grind.

12. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin IncGamers Member

Zealots are very weapon dependent, so that should be your main focus.

Here is a very nice runeword calculator:

https://babelthuap.github.io/runewords/

RW's like King's Grace and Strength shouldn't be too difficult to obtain. When you get to NM Mephisto, Strength will help you very much with It's CB. And maybe equip your Might Merc with Malice, unless you find a bigger hurty stick along the way.

sanguillen likes this.
  13. drmalawi

Try to use, as someone mentioned, a 2H weapon for more damage.
    You do not have access to a might merc yet, so a defensice act 2 merc might be a good idea to somewhat cover the loss of not having a shield (block chance is pretty low in normal before you get high level Holy Shield anyway)
    A good weapon might be a savage polearm, you can get them with the cube.

14. sanguillen

sanguillen IncGamers Member

In terms of leveling a pure zealot, then I agree with @Trapin' - max Fanaticism first, before Zeal. From my experiences, some other things that really help:

-Eye of Etlitch - freezes any non-boss or non-Unique upon striking, and then shatters the body upon killing. Great for Zealot crowd control
    -never tried a 2H weapon before, but sounds like a great thing to have in weapon swap if you can handle the min requirements
    -Sigon's Set - gloves + boots + belt + armor drop all the time, and this setwill serve you well until Hell
    -4 frame attack speed - if at all possible, get to this point and you'll have most monsters in Hit Recovery the whole time. That will help a lot given that your killing speed will be a little slower being untwinked. Sigon's gloves + one other Sigon's will get you 30% IAS, which is huge
    -Bloodletter (lvl 30 req) or Coldsteel Eye (lvl 31 req) - these two swords drop reasonably often, both are inherently pretty quick weapon speed (Coldsteel Eye especially), and both have 20% IAS on them. Coldsteel Eye also has 50% Deadly Strike, which is huge for Nightmare
    -Rhyme shield (the Cannot Be Frozen alone is critical for a Zealot)

Once in Hell, the Oath runeword (assuming you use RWM) packs a lot of bang for your buck (210-240% ED, 50% IAS) - and the highest rune needed is Mal. I always prefer a Paladin specific shield with +30 or more Resistance on it BEFORE putting 4 Perfect Diamonds in it - that takes care of most of my resistance concerns in hell, and allows me to focus on achieving the 4 frame attack rate.

15. Disposition

Man that website is dope I just realized I can make holy thunder which will up my damage hugeeeee! Need to find a 4OS scepter. :)

thanks everyone for their input so far, trudging along... 7 hours play time so far and just finished norm meph. :/

Total Play Time Thus far : 7H30M~~

Run : 5Hr40M
    Norm Countess : 27M
    Norm LK : 24M
    Norm Meph : 1Hr7M

16. CrustyRusty

CrustyRusty IncGamers Member

I pretty much agree with what's been said. I usually go with holy fire until level 30-35 and then respec into fanaticism. Work on maxing fanaticism as soon as it becomes available and then move on to other skills. You will have to spend some time grinding for weapons off and on until you get something good. I usually use whatever I can find until nm meph and then roll an easy map to run him for butchers or headstriker and some stuff to fill in elsewhere. Try to stack some crushing blow if you can; it'll really help with bosses. The big things I usually look for are crushing blow and cannot be frozen.

I generally try to get to hell act 1 so I can run the countess and the pit to get runes and bases. I like to shoot for oath and sanctuary in nice bases from the pit. If you're feeling saucy, you could make a duress too. That will get you through pretty much all of the game, especially if you or your merc have something with ctc amp damage or decrepify. Hell andy can drop some alright gear for other slots as well, and the mobs on the way down sometimes have goodies too. You can then run whatever you feel like to further dial in your gear. If you really feel like grinding, you could run hell trav for high runes once you have the gear to do it.

Basically, be prepared to grind for some decent gear off and on (or grind lots for some fantastic gear) and you'll be fine if you spec into fanaticism. I prefer fanaticism personally, but the holy thunder route is pretty cool too and can be lots of fun. Make whatever you like, there's always respecs.

17. Trapin'

Trapin' IncGamers Member

I think this thread has inspired me to try an untwinked zealot as well! :)