Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

? about the /players command

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by inkanddagger, Jan 31, 2004.

1. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

? about the /players command

Up until a few days ago, I didn't even know that this command existed.

I just started playing single player recently as I have no internet access at home right now (only at work), and I'm frustrated at how hard it is to level up effectively and such.

Now, will setting the game at /players 8 allow me to gain experience at the rate that i would if there were actually 8 players in the game? I am assuming this is how it works.

Also, if I am running mephisto, and I kill everything around him and then get him down to the last few hits, and then set the game from players 1 to players 8, will he drop more items like he does on b.net in multiplayer games?

This would be very helpful to me if the command works like I think it does.

Can't wait to get back to my 'puter on monday.

2. Joutaja

Joutaja IncGamers Member

Players X setting doesn't affect drops of uniques or super uniques (including act bosses). It only increases the chance that normal monster drops something (and of course theri hps and xp ammount they give).

Whenever you change the players setting it only affects the monsters that haven't spawned yet.

3. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

It would've felt like cheating anyways.

thanks!

4. TrenShadow

TrenShadow IncGamers Member

Actually, the life of monsters is set when they spawn, but the drops are calculated when the monster dies. So, setting players8 before leaving town will increase life, XP, amount of drops etc for everything. Setting players8 after hitting Meph a few times will set his drop chance to that of an 8 player game, but his life/XP will stay at the original setting. I would feel uneasy about doing this though :)

5. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

yeah, it could be considered exploitive i suppose. about the same as making meph run games on them realms that are named "free items here" .

i'm sooo tempted though, because I am in such poverty on SP.

6. TrenShadow

TrenShadow IncGamers Member

Ah well now.. poverty we can help with :D

Check out the giveaway sticky at the top of page 1. Unfortunately I can't help you out as I'm still mostly playing 1.09, and the little 1.10 I do play is HC :p

7. Icebird

Icebird IncGamers Member

Just to clarify Joutaja's post: players settings doesn't affect uniques or superuniques but it *does* affect act bosses.

Uniques and superuniques always drop two magic items plus 4 potions. Normal monsters have a chance to drop 1 item, while act bosses have a chance up to 6 items. Higher players settings reduce the chance that an item roll will produce a "no drop" result. In other words, normal monsters are more likely to drop their maximum one item, while act bosses are more likely to drop their maximum 6 items. (The no drop roll is done separately for each of the six chances to drop an item).

Hope that made sense.
    Chris

8. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

One last clarification - Act Bosses roll seven chances, but can only drop up to six items (due to a cap in the code).

Also certain SuperUniques do have a no-drop chance (eg. The Countess, The Smith, etc.) - basically any SU that doesn't drop 2 items and 4 potions will be affected by the number of players.

(Also Uniques only drop 1 item and 4 potions, SUs drop 2 items and 4 potions if they don't have a seperate TC)

9. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

thanks to both of you, this is some extremely valuable information here.

now about getting me out of poverty... I don't really understand the whole free mule system... are mules small enough to fit in my email inbox? can i copy them to a floppy disc at work and then bring them to my home computer and load them?

yeah this is o/t for this thread...maybe I'll make a post somewhere else.

10. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

The mules people send you will be the CharacterName.d2s files out of the "Saved" folder in the D2 directory. They are quite tiny (well under 10kb each) and you can fit as many of them as you like on a floppy or USB keychain drive or whatever!

You take the .d2s files home, stick them in your Saved folder, and when you start up the game they will be available as characters in there, and you can do whatever sort of muling floats your boat . . . If you use a program called ATMA (check the sticky thread about it if you're a Windows user) it makes things very easy.

11. Bahamut

Bahamut IncGamers Member

So people don't really use /players 8 a lot since 1.10 came out? I have been a hardcore players 8 player ever since I came to know about it... :)

I type it first thing in the game. And my intention is to never lessen it to players 7 or 4. Now I would feel like I have cheated.

12. tragor

tragor IncGamers Member

Actually, I think a lot of people here use /players x. I know I do. But, like you, I generally leave it at 8. Occasionally I lower it if I get bored and want to just mow through an area. It's always 8 when I get to an Act boss or other SU. Just finished off the big red lizard last night that way (all of CS was on 8).

I don't think /players x is cheating unless you use higher numbers for the areas and then drop it for the big boss. That would feel like cheating to me. Lowering it during the areas and then going back up for the boss actually makes it more interesting since you didn't level as fast for a while.

Just my personal opinion.

13. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

The only times that I ever lower the players setting are the Ancients, only because I've had too many bad run-ins with them, or if hell difficulty just becomes too much for my poor character.

14. Bahamut

Bahamut IncGamers Member

We share the same philosophy tragor. I just want it all on players 8... (except when getting bored and mowing the area:))