About Shorthand...

Anakha1

Banned
Holy hell! I thought everyone knew shorthand! In Canada we learn it in grade three. At least we did when I was a kid.

Cmdr_Adeon

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't really see the need for offical shorthand. If your just writing notes for you to read you can write whatever the hell you want as long as you can read it (which basically requires you to use a system that is consistent and logical)

masterazn

Banned
I use short hand for taking notes SOMETIMES, i don't have my own fixed system (which is what teachers say you should get by the time your in university) so I'm afraid to use short hand because then I can't remmeber what that "w" or "r" stands for...

Geeno

Diabloii.Net Member
I always considered it "good note taking", but instead of copying word for word I just sum the whole idea up in a word or two... meanwhile everyone else in the class is complaining about taking notes instead of trying to learn the material so they dont have to.

Corneo

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow, I just copy word for word from my professor, most of the time his examples are clear enough. I am a freak about neatness, I tried writing in drafting style, but it just takes forever!

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
Holy hell! I thought everyone knew shorthand! In Canada we learn it in grade three. At least we did when I was a kid.
Hey, don't generalize those pinko commie things they taught you in your backwater part of Ontario to the rest of Canada. I never heard of such a thing, so it all looks a bit arabic like arabic writing to me.

Anakha1

Banned
SomeCanadianGuy said:
Hey, don't generalize those pinko commie things they taught you in your backwater part of Ontario to the rest of Canada. I never heard of such a thing, so it all looks a bit arabic like arabic writing to me.

That's because you learned in french, you crackhead Quebec zealot. Shorhand is barely used with french. Everyone I know in Ontario knows it.

Akira

Anakha1 said:
That's because you learned in french, you crackhead Quebec zealot. Shorhand is barely used with french. Everyone I know in Ontario knows it.

i don't know it. :scratch:

SomeCanadianGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
Veux-tu vraiment commencer avec moi, petit bonhomme ontarien? Je ne te le recommande vraiment pas... Un seul mot et je retire tous les privilèges de poutine de ton petit province en entier. Je suis certain que les quelques 7 millions d'autres habitants ne l'apprécieraient guère... :teeth:

Anakha1

Banned
Gah! Foiled by my own cleverness AND had my handwriting forged by Akira! Today is a dark day in Anakhaland.

piff

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm an American and I learned shorthand in elementary school. I never used it after elementary school, but I know it. My note taking style is a hybrid. I print, but all of my letters in a word tend to connect. And I take very basic notes unless I have to have a certain amount of notes.

EDIT: Didn't know there was a difference between shorthand and longhand. Now I feel stupid.