Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

about salvia divinorum...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nosoup4crr, Jun 13, 2008.

1. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr IncGamers Member

about salvia divinorum...

I'm curious about this herb and the effects of smoking it. If you've tried it, there are a number of questions I have:

1. Is it legal in all states?
    2. If so, where can the extract be obtained?
    3. What's the process for smoking it (i.e. do you smoke the leaves, add the extract to something, or what?)
    4. What are its effects?
    5. How dangerous (if it is) is it?
    6. How expensive is it?
    7. Is it worth it?

2. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Re: about salvia divinorum...

Diviner's Sage was outlawed in Australia (or maybe just New South Wales) in about 2002.

When it was legal a friend of mine purchased a 1/4 ounce bag for $25 at Mardi Grass, the annual marijuana festival in Nimbin, northern NSW.

It is an evil looking black stuff and smoking it straight is as bad as it looks. We tried it in bongs and joints, but settled on bongs. After the first round we all agreed it was best to mix it with tobacco, like pot. It occurs to me now that we never got around to mixing it with pot which may have proved interesting.

Effects take a couple of minutes to manifest, but the first effect is always intense body heat. It suddenly feels like a hot summer day - an Australian summer day where it's 40 degrees Celsius. I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever, but I'm tempted to say that it actually is a real, and therefore potentially dangerous, rise in core body temperature, I suspect, however, that it is very difficult to smoke enough to cause a serious threat. The heat wears off after a couple of minutes and before any other effects are over. The heat is accompanied by pins and needles... and I mean pins and needles, not tingling - it feels like thousands of pins are being stuck into you, although it isn't particularly painful.

Hallucinations range from mild, almost unnoticed, to vividly real shifts of reality. Hallucinations are of real things, what are actually present, there are no flying rabbits or giant strawberries chasing you down the street. In my case, the plain white walls of the room first changed to look like those fake wood panels popular in the early 80s, the "woodgrain" then changed from what would be real to being pencil drawings. It was exactly like a filter you can get on PhotoShop to modify a photograph to look like a line drawing. Someone else present said that I morphed into some sort of Ravenman, kind of like Batman but with giant black raven's wings rather than a cape (I was wearing a black leather jacket).

Each of us had some sort of revelation, or sudden intense understanding, somehow related to our visions. My own was related to the significance of cedar in ancient myth and legend (particularly Gilgamesh) although it has never been as clear as it was on that night. Someone made the quip, after I explained my vision and what it meant to me, that it was "written on the wall"... which was kinda spooky given what I saw.

Depending on how much we smoked hallucinations for us lasted between 2 and 10 minutes. Physically, it is an uncomfortable experience, there is no "high". Others among my friends, some of whom smoked more than I did, said they felt as if the sage enabled them to somehow "see more" of things and they felt a deep understanding of things, both in their immediate environment and things they thought of (meditated on as the uber-hippy put it) which disappeared as the effect wore off.

My opinion is that it is not a recreational drug and should be treated with a great deal of respect. If you decide to try it you will understand why traditional cultures used such drugs rarely. I would probably try it again, but the environment would have to be right, I would have to be in the right frame of mind and I would have "questions for the spirits" ready.

3. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

I do know it is illegal in some states, but legal here in Texas (What are the odds of that?). My roommates actually bought and are growing a salvia plant, but did not realize it's hallucinatory potential until later on. They aren't planning on smoking it, though. I can go to the local pipe shop and buy the stuff pre-sorted, if I wanted to. As far as how dangerous, youtube salvia to see just how deep the trip is. It only lasts 5-15 minutes, but you are completely incapable of making intelligent decisions. I've been told that the length of the trip does not warrant its price, but then I don't actually know what the price is.

4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

my best experiences with it were using the liquid extract droppered on to a bowl of MJ. i actually like smoking the dry leafy stuff myself, but it's been a long while.

5. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

I could of sworn someone else posted in this thread...

6. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

try chewing...it takes awhile longer for the effect to hit but it lasts longer than a bong hit.

i have three blossers...they are easily cloned.

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Someone else did. Can't remember who, though. :(

8. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

forgot to mention...it is still legal in all provinces of canada.

9. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

ive smoked it before. a smoke shop sells it. its about 25 bucks for a few bowls of the stuff. it smells like tea and taste like **** when you smoke it. its fun though.

it kind of makes you immobile. i did it with two other guys once and i knocked a glass of water over. i just pointed at it and said "dude". i could not clean it up at that point. it also makes you laugh a lot.

10. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

I was expecting Jigga to say it was better wrapped in bacon.

11. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

interesting.

12. disgruntled

disgruntled IncGamers Member

1. NO
    2. if legal, a head shop
    3. use a bong or do what SD suggests
    4. Collapse, laughter, hallucinate out of your mind. Have a babysitter
    5. Dunno. I would only be in a very safe place
    6. Not very. 20 bucks, many hits
    7. It depends on the person.

13. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

A lot of this sounded like general experiences with Hallucinogens except for the first rush to the state and the Body heat experience - is that linked I wonder??