? about item finding

ObiWan

Diabloii.Net Member
? about item finding

I am currently trying to find exceptional items with sockets, and I have been doing hell cows, but keep coming up short. Should I do NM cows instead, due to the fact that the drop calc won't have to calc through so many lvls. I've tried to understand the drop calc, but come up short.
 

ael

Diabloii.Net Member
If you are looking for socketables, ditch all your mf stuff. That will decrease the chance of magic items popping up. Items have 5% chance of being elite in NM and 10%in hell. Im not sure about exeptional ones, but I think they have a larger chance of dropping in hell than NM. Also you could try the pits, I find it alot easier than cows. Its in the tamoe highland next to the black marsh (bm also a got wp).
 

ObiWan

Diabloii.Net Member
ael said:
If you are looking for socketables, ditch all your mf stuff. That will decrease the chance of magic items popping up. Items have 5% chance of being elite in NM and 10%in hell. Im not sure about exeptional ones, but I think they have a larger chance of dropping in hell than NM. Also you could try the pits, I find it alot easier than cows. Its in the tamoe highland next to the black marsh (bm also a got wp).
Thanks for the reply!! Does the amount of players have the same effect as when you're mfing? Meaning, will the monsters drop more due to the fact that there are more people in the game?

The reason I ask, is I've been soloing the cows,and was wondering if I made it public, would I get better drops?
 

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't where you got 5% chance of elites in nm/10% in hell, ael. Some elites can drop in late NM, some cannot. Monsters have lists of items they can drop depending on their level.
I'd stay in NM cows, because they will drop few if any elites, and you can clear them faster in 8 player games, because yes, more players = smaller chance of getting a "no drop" from a monster.
 

ObiWan

Diabloii.Net Member
Evrae Altana said:
The more people in a game, the quantity of drops increases, not quality.
Thank you! So it would be wise to run public cow games? More drops, means more of a chance?
 

ObiWan

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the help in this matter people!! It seems that there is no special guide for finding norm-elite non-magic items. It took a few days to get the info needed, but you peeps are great!
 

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
ObiWan said:
Thank you! So it would be wise to run public cow games? More drops, means more of a chance?
The number of item drops will definitely be higher, but the number that actually ends up in your inventory might be much less if it's in a public game, due to people instantly grabbing anything and everything on the screen. :rolleyes:
 

sunflowersmooth

Diabloii.Net Member
Evrae Altana said:
The number of item drops will definitely be higher, but the number that actually ends up in your inventory might be much less if it's in a public game, due to people instantly grabbing anything and everything on the screen. :rolleyes:
Does mf have any effect on the amount of charms you would find? I would assume no since charms can only be magical.
 

ObiWan

Diabloii.Net Member
Evrae Altana said:
The number of item drops will definitely be higher, but the number that actually ends up in your inventory might be much less if it's in a public game, due to people instantly grabbing anything and everything on the screen. :rolleyes:
Ya, I do agree on that one! I just ran 8 games, and ended up with only one item. :( I tried using my summoning necro, so I could sit back and be able to jump in there and grab what I needed, but it was moving to slow, so I switched to my zeal pally, and I had to kill first, then look.:( bummer, back to solo
 

ael

Diabloii.Net Member
Merick said:
I don't where you got 5% chance of elites in nm/10% in hell, ael. Some elites can drop in late NM, some cannot. Monsters have lists of items they can drop depending on their level.
I remember this info from my sp days back in pre 1.10, so yeah, this might be out of date.

Edit: actualy it might just not be complete bs. Take a look:

What are Exceptional Items? -- Exceptional (abbreviated "Excep")items are higher quality versions of normal items that can ONLY be dropped by monsters (never bought from NPCs) and only on Nightmare and Hell difficulty. There is a 5% chance an item will be Excep on Nightmare and 10% chance on Hell. There are no set or unique Excep items, but there are Rares and socketed Excep items, and Rare Exceptionals make up the majority of higher level character equipment. There are no Excep rings or amulets, and several Excep items are not dropped in the game due to an error in the programming code. Whether this error is an accident or was put in on purpose by Bliz to keep these items from dropping is unknown.
Linky.
 

Merick

Diabloii.Net Member
ael said:
I remember this info from my sp days back in pre 1.10, so yeah, this might be out of date.

Edit: actualy it might just not be complete bs. Take a look:



Linky.
Yeah, and

There are no set or unique Excep items, but there are Rares and socketed Excep items, and Rare Exceptionals make up the majority of higher level character equipment. There are no Excep rings or amulets, and several Excep items are not dropped in the game due to an error in the programming code. Whether this error is an accident or was put in on purpose by Bliz to keep these items from dropping is unknown.
is all something like 1.06 information. Maybe even 1.05. I know item drops have changed since then in fundamental ways. It also used to be the case that exceptionals absoultely could never drop in normal no matter what. At the time elites didn't exist either.
 
Top