Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

About de Globes.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by raveharu, Jan 2, 2009.

?

Love de GLOBES ?!

1. Yesh! THEY ARE GORGEOUS!

61.6%
  2. Nooo! THEY SUCK!

38.4%
  1. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

About de Globes.

Ok I know this topic has been revised many times, but I would like to have some feedback on Health Globes and Mana Globes in D3.

Apparently I HATE them, its ridiculous to make the game so bloody nice, and have this fugly unrealistic orbs floating, popping, exploding, shyting out from monsters near your beloved Hero. What an insult eh :punk:

Pretty disappointed in Blizzard :coffee:

So boys and girls, what do you think should be created to replace these ghastly unearthly things?

2. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: About de Globes.

Souls lingering above the slain corpses, would be far more suited imo.

3. Maxadrenaline

Maxadrenaline IncGamers Member

I think the system is good, cause potions were defintely OP in D2, but they could make it look a whole lot better. Globes make d3 look like an arcade game. (and so does that leveling I saw in a video recently, just popping up above your chars head, pff come on...)

4. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

Insult .. i don't see how a floating red globe can be an insult ... as for being unrealistic .. there is nothing realistic about monsters like Fallen dropping an armor twice their size or Diablo dropping money and arrow quivers ... face the harsh truth ... it is a game.

Sigh .... from the OP post this topic is about the looks of the globes only, well ... they surely aren't final graphics for the health/mana globes, and even if they are i suppose it is meant to make them standout and become easily readable in the midst of the chaos on screen involving four players and dozens of monsters both dead and alive ... not to mention the items and props thrown around too.

With all that it is essential for them to be clear and showing cause the player's survival depends on them.

And there is nothing wrong with having arcade elements ... all modern action games have elements in them that can be called "arcade" in some way, stop using it as some sort of insult it is just silly.

5. AkumaSlayer

AkumaSlayer Diablo: IncGamers Member

Wait, what's this?!

You should make your own game without the globes. Good advice, no?

6. raveharu

Wait, what's this?!

A stalker o.o
    Anyway its good to know someone actually tracks and remembers what I posted previously but...

This topic is opened for discussion, its not a "whatiwant,whatithink", like Iwantmyangelarcher,becauseitisminegodliestmostIMBAideawhichshouldbe100%integratedtothegameQQ.

7. AkumaSlayer

AkumaSlayer Diablo: IncGamers Member

You posted that in my thread which is why I remembered it. Judging by your tone in the OP however, I would say this is one of those threads because you crap all over blizzard and say how disappointed you are at them for not doing it your way.

8. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

The thread seems useless mostly because you finish your first post with: 'what do you think should be created to replace these ghastly unearthly things? instead of 'what is your position about this new system?'

9. Mizantrop

Mizantrop IncGamers Member

This is what I think about the globes: THEY ARE GORGEOUS!

10. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

The souls idea is really great. We all know what souls are; does anyone know what floating red globes are? They look like blood in zero gravity. Hmm...how does that heal you?

So I think it would look good if a greyish-white translucent image of the monster you killed is shown over the body or place where the body exploded, and it's feet or lower portion is part-burried in the ground. When you move over the soul, it is freed and it floats away like the 'slain monsters rest in peace' mod from d2. To return the favor, the soul heals you and the nearby party members. After all, undead were once good people, and killing the undead means you free their souls. The demon souls can be souls freed from the demon who killed and captured that soul. They can come up with something for animals too--the soul is a victum who was eaten by the beast, or w/e.

The mechanism would be the same, it would just be cooler and way more appropriate for the gameworld. We see souls released from Baal when you kill him, etc, so we are already familiar with the concept.

11. raveharu

And why so?
    The thread is open for all discussions and opinions.
    Where was it stated everyone has to agree with me 100% :whistling:

12. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

They should give player empty bottle too pick up this thing and use later, i do not want to be force to go back 2 levels in dungeon for heal because if my weak memory is correct there was few health globes i left there. Btw i hope they stay forever not disappear after some time past.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  13. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

Wouldn't that be a health potion? Anyway you shouldn't have to go back to find one, you should be able to get more just by killing more mobs. Also believe I read that they disappear in about 45 seconds, though I can't remember my source.

14. mywrisoicy

mywrisoicy IncGamers Member

So apparently the problem lies with the aesthetics and lore of the health orbs, because i can imagine that nobody has a problem with the system and concept. (its great!:thumbup:)

If you do i am very very interested in what you have to say and i would love you to challenge that.:scratchchin:

Yeas they have no connection to lore but atleast they dont ruin the mood cuz at least their gothic arcadey spheres hehe, not some pac man tings. I guess the reason it looks so arcady is cause they want to emphazise on the A of ARPG but still they should find a way they can emphazise the RPG as well. If they can get that soul thingy to work it would just be the bomb (or some other aesthetic change, one that gives in to lore obv).... in my opinion they dont ruin the dark mood of the game and actually they pull the mood towards more of an arcade and action feeling which is kind of good, its what makes diablo diablo (action in a goth/dark environment). Action/arcady/dark on screen, rpgish on the menus and quests etc... i like it. Agree/disagree?

15. Smash

Smash IncGamers Member

Ok!
    For both Telzen and mywrisoicy:
    You have 1hp barb after you finished last group of monsters (let say poison left you with 1hp even if i hope that poison in d3 will kill), you didn't got any health globes what you will do in this situation?

16. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

@Smash:

Die like the wasteful barb that you are :)

As for this soul business, do demons have souls?

Second, should our characters be consuming souls or forcing services from the souls of those they have recently slain?

17. DivineSweety

DivineSweety IncGamers Member

I love the globes and everything with them im so sick of buying 1000000... pots .

And i think they look nice to...

18. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

Gah .... use a health potion, that kind of situation is what potions are made for in D3, they are rare but they are still there for this kind of situation, this has been said over a hundred times really XD

I don't know what Diablo lore says about demons having souls in the world of diablo but it won't make any sense for the UNDEAD to have souls so i prefer sticking with the Health Globes ... as their look and shape is a needed gameplay element ... they need to stand out and be easily readable.

19. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Well... the globes dont bother me but they dont awe me as well. I agree with knight that they should stand out and be noticiable.

Maybe we can get the better out of the two worlds, being a noticiable globe and having the "soul" theme whithin it. It doesnt actually need to be connected to the lore it just may be asthetically more beautiful. Something alone the lines of the Soul Sphere power up in the older doom games:

[​IMG]

Of course, with more graphics, it can even use the same art "idea" that was present in D2, with a demon face represeting the red life globe and an angel face represeting the blue mana globe, after all thats how the globes have been represented in the diablo games.

Even if the actual globe is already final, it would be ok for me, it doesnt bother me that much but I do agree that there might be room for improvement.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  20. Nahlraka

Nahlraka IncGamers Member

They're cool. One of the worst things about Diablo 2 was having to replace every single potion in your belt after every death [usually cheap one-hit deaths from souls and the like]. My only qualm is with their graphic - they need an update desperately.