Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

About blocking

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Cinslayre, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Cinslayre

Cinslayre IncGamers Member

About blocking

How much dex is required for max block with stormshield?

Is having max block effective, or should I just go for as much vita as possible?
    What kind of sorc has the most use of block? Does it work against ranged attacks?

Sorry for asking such noob questions, but I'm new to the forums (and to diablo 2)... :xsmile5:

//Cinslayer

2. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

block is personal preference. i don't like it. i don't remember the exact number, but it is based on character lvl, which you didn't mention. i dont' want to try to reproduce the formula again, last time i tried, i was wrong. but look for that thread. it asked the same exact question. it sill be on the first 1.5 pages of threads.

3. theeellama

theeellama IncGamers Member

Shield Blocking X (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2) = Total Blocking

156 @ lvl 73 (SS lvl req)
    237 @ lvl 99 (Compare to 186 for Withsand's :eek: )

These numbers can be lowered though, with the use of a Hel rune or -15 req jewel.

4. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Eh, no. The dexterity requirement for maxblock will not be lowered by a Hel or a -req jewel. An Eld however raises block % and thus lowers dexterity needed for maxblock.

5. Mr_Grimm

Mr_Grimm IncGamers Member

i'v found that 50% or better block will save you from those "instant death" situations, for example a pack of fanat/curse archers around shenk.

really 75% block is only preferable when you do a lot of teleporting, ie. around durance 2 in hell where there are nasties like extra fast/fanat dolls. i would however advise against going with base dex, because that means that everything WILL hit you, and wearing a shield pretty pointless, so you'd be better going for a staff than using a shield if you're gonna have no block, for example chromatic ire or one of the new elites.

6. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Max block is mostly effective, depending on two main things. Familiarity with the game and its' monsters. You also need to get your life upwards of 750, you see, you'll still need to be able to take at least one hit from Black Souls and the like. Oh not to mention eventually maxing your resists, but that goes for most characters.