Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Aborting homosexual babies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Aborting homosexual babies

Let's assume tomorrow it was proven there was a homosexual gene. Then let's assume it could be tested for as part of the prenatal care. What would the implications be? Other than a flamefest... :grrr:

The pro-choice crowd would be fracture into three crowds.
    One would be pro-choice no matter what. These are the people that are for abortion, period.
    One would be pro-choice but against aborting homosexual babies. This would be the *** community. They'd want to have as many homosexual babies born as possible.
    One would be pro-choice but for aborting all homosexual babies. This would be the people who don't care about abortion but are against homosexuality.

The pro-life crowd would split into two crowds.
    One would be pro-life no matter what. There are the people against abortion, period.
    The other would be pro-life but for aborting all homosexual babies. This would be the religious fanatics.

Move on to the legal issues. I could see this being even more divisive. You would have groups trying to ban the test and others trying to make it mandatory. There could even be people demanding that all homosexual babies be aborted.

But what would happen if it could be tested for at home? Similar to a pregnancy test. What would the implications be if the test could only be done as early as the second month? What if it could only be done after the 7th month? Some people are for abortion as long as it's done within the first trimester. Others want partial-birth abortions to be legal.

So answer these questions (please cut and paste for your answers):

1. Which of the 5 groups would you be in? If something else, please explain.

2. Would you be in favor of the test or would you want it banned?

3. In essay form in three part harmony: Are there any differences in your opinion on a 2nd month test vs. a 7th month test?

4. If such as test were available, would you want it?

5. If said test came back positive for a homosexual baby, what would you do? Please explain your reasons.

2. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Satire? Please God say this is satire.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Contrary to what Rush tells you to think, the *** community doesn't actively recruit. There are no, "Sign up to be *** and get a free tote bag." It's not a credit card.

While not your worst thread, Smeg, this one is going to be real bad. I predict Duped and Munch will have their third back and forth battle over semantics, Sarge and Anyee will go after each other again, various people will make uninformed, asinine statements and then defend their original statements with worse statments. Then, about page 6, Ash will start spamming. All in all, a typical thread :eek:

I'm glad I'm getting in and out quickly.

Edit: 'Boosh, I think he's serious.

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

This isn't satire. This may very well one day be possible.

5. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

A rather inspired topic, I must say. What better way to stir up controversy than to combine two of the hottest-button topics in today's society.

About them answers...

I'd be in the "pro-life, no matter what" group.

I'd probably rather not see it used. It would only serve to give humans more control over a supposedly natural process. I also can't see the immediate benefit of determing your child's sexual orientation, unless to abort it (which of course I would be against).

3. In essay form in three part harmony: Are there any differences in your opinion on a 2nd month test vs. a 7th month test?

Nope. Against it as a general concept.

4. If such a test were available, would you want it?

Nope.

5. If said test came back positive for a homosexual baby, what would you do? Please explain your reasons.

Absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't have let them run the test. I would allow my child to grow and develop as he was supposed to genetically.

Peace.

6. toader

toader Banned

So answer these questions (please cut and paste for your answers):

I would still be in the same group im in now. Pro-life (for all babies...homosexual or not)...EXCEPT for situations involving rápe, incest, or if it could cause death or serious injury to the mother.

I would not be in favor of the test.

No, my opinions would stay the same. I wouldnt be in favor of either test.

4. If such as test were available, would you want it?

Seems like kidna the same question as #2...but N, I wouldnt want it.

I would let it be born, and raise it and love it as any child. Even though I think that homosexuality is a sin, I dont think that it will prevent someone from getting into heaven. I would not deny someone life if they were a homosexual, that is between themselves and their creator.

7. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I think the whole thing Is a little far fetched Smeg.
    Who says its a "*** gene", and could they provide enough proof to let parents decide wheather or not thier kid dies?

However, if they were to give some kind of BS proof (which will never happen), I'd just be pro-life, at least for my kids. Even IF they told me my wife was cooking a homo, I would still raise him.

PS
    Is there some kind of transplant you can have done to take straight genes from someone who wants to be *** and trade them with a casualty kid??? :xmad:

8. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Pro-choice in any circumstances.

I wouldn't exactly be in favour of it due to people's ability to exploit it - but if people want to have this test, like any other, it should be their choice.

Not really. Other than 5 months I guess :)

Personally no - although if the fictious mother of the equally fictitious child wanted it, I'd go along with it anyway.

Make some sort of noncommital grunting noise and carry on as normal, since I see the whole thing as irrelevant.

Another set of issues that could arise from this are based on insurance and benefit entitlements - it's already thought that genetic testing for susceptibility to illnesses (heart disorder, etc.) would drive up health insurance premiums for those affected (who, ironically, are the ones most likely to need said insurance). Would similar problems beset mothers whose children test positive on this? Would they be granted extra aid or even denied it based on a test which may be inaccurate (even the best testing today doesn't guarantee 100% accuracy)?

9. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

I would be in the group saying that genes do not invalidate free choice. alcholism is genetic too.
    I'd also be pro life except in cases of **** or serious risk to the mother.
    eh, let them test. it would also prove that the one or both of the parents are *** or part ***. (oops, that will cause problems)
    no [tenor] no [bass] no
    nope
    get myself tested? he might have got it from me after all. "I never suspected I was ***, get tested today!"

10. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

I'm waiting for the conservative/liberal prenatal test. What a can of worms that opens up.....

1) Liberal parents find out that their child will be conservative. Life is good for them.
    2) Liberal parents find out that their child will be conservative. They are most likely, as Smeg so eloquently put it, "for abortion", so they have the fetus killed.
    3) Conservative parents find out that their child will be conservative. Life is good for them.
    4) Conservative parents find out that their child will be liberal. They can't have free-thinking offspring, so they decide to have the abortion for the betterment of society and one less vote against the Republicans.
    5) Conservative parents find out that their child will be liberal. They are adamantly against abortion no matter what, whether the woman was *****, whether the conception is incestuous, or whether their own offspring stands for all that they oppose.

Which of these 5 groups would you belong to?

11. Xynrx

Xynrx IncGamers Member

There are only two people who would want this test: people who are homophobic and Riki Lake, "Is my cheatin' husband my cousin's look-a-like-aunt's homosexual brother who can't read?"

12. th5418

th5418 Banned

Such a touchy subject...Ill think about this.

13. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

What? So now conservatives are for facism and the degeneration of society? Thats a new one. I'll be sure to let you know next time I go to a "DOWN WITH SOCIETY" party. It's funny, I never knew I wasn't thinking for myself, I guess the bus driver was thinking for me! Who would have thought?!?

14. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

A child is a child, *** or not. It's still a womans choice until it becomes a child though.

15. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Contrary to what you also may believe, a lot of pro-choice people are against always aborting children with "imperfections." The discovery of a gene for homosexuality would, if it did anything at all, increase the number of these people, not decrease them. It would also increase the number of pro-life people who wanted abortions, but that's also not a given.

Betty Degeneres is Ellen Degeneres' mom and, after Ellen came out, became an ardent supporter of her daughter, as well as an advocate for the parents and loved ones of LGBT people. She has said numerous times that homosexuals do not recruit, or else she definitely would have been one by now.

16. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

You forgot an option, Smeg. What about the side that still firmly believes in aborting all babies, calling for the voluntary end to our species?

I'm in the pro-choice catagory regardless of genes, anyways. I believe that parents own their children until they move out of the house, which is why, even at age 26, I think it would still be okay if my parents decided to abort me. :p

17. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

1. My group would not change. I am against abortion except in situations of ****, incest or a danger to the mother's life. ONLY in those situations would it be acceptable.

2. Well, since I don't think it's genetic, test away, I don't care.

3. No. No. And no. Since I don't think it's genetic I don't think testing will matter but, go ahead if the parents want it.

4. Nope, cause it's not genetic.

5. The test results wouldn't mean anything to me. Since I wouldn't get the test, there'd be no results for it. IF I did get the test and it came back positive for homosexuality, it wouldn't change my opinion. Homosexuality isn't genetic so any test for it is irrelevant. They won't ever prove it's genetic anymore than religious folk can scientifically prove it's not. So, IF I had my baby tested and IF it came back positive, no biggie. I will raise my child the same as before, the test would mean nothing to me.

18. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Pro-life in all circumstances.

I would oppose any further tests which give people a reason to kill their children for being "imperfect".

19. 1SG Bowie

1SG Bowie IncGamers Member

I find it difficult to answer the questions in the order that they were asked but, I don’t see it as changing anything for me. I have always had a hard time with this issue.

If it were possible I would want that test and, about 1,000,000,000 other tests.

That way I would always have the answer to the question or the correct response ready in advance. A little preplanning to help my child along could not hurt.

20. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

All I can say is, if the "H" meter is up, *ZZZZAPPPPPPPPPPP*