Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Abort, Retry, Fail? --Will Blizzard get locked out by their own DRM?o

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by snipeattacker, Jun 13, 2012.

1. snipeattacker

snipeattacker IncGamers Member

Abort, Retry, Fail? --Will Blizzard get locked out by their own DRM?

If you're old enough to remember: Decades ago, when I was a young child, I have tried (and I imagine many of us have at some point) or at least researched the possibilities, to bring floppy disks or CD-ROM's back to the "game-store". This happened mainly when ANOTHER DOS game (later also in win95 until vista), failed installing, loading or playing (bad CRC error, low memory, etc. etc.) OR it was just a $%& game.

I tried, a few times, but was never successful. No refunds. No Warranty. "You might have already made an illegal copy."

And you know what, I understood. Games just didn't work all the time. Computers also didn't (they still don't), and we had no Internet to check gameplay videos. Or any graphics / color (pink + green!) at all for that matter. :) In my eyes the 'developers' of that time were heroes! Ken and Roberta Williams, Ron Gilbert and Sid Meier were just like my friends and me. Small children battling against MS-DOS and the computer hardware + magnetic disks. Programming the game alone for months, followed by months of copying every disk by hand and sending them out in plastic bag to unknown people who spontaneously started sending money...

In my 9 year old eyes Bill gates was to blame (who gave us 638k memory instead of 640k memory in DOS. GRRrrr @ boot disk), ALSO dust-particles, the mailman, my teacher, and my friends adding fake viruses to autoexec.bat were guilty. ::) Now I know It was my poor English and lack of knowledge.

To The point: IF, for instance, a new vacuum cleaner, fresh from the store, stopped working after a short period of time (after a year, two, maybe more), you go back to the store, get a repair or a new one. Sometimes you have to get angry and then the boss comes and then he gives you a new one. Because it is the law. Products have to live up to their agreed and common expected standards / price.

BUT NOW we finally CAN go back to the store and ask for refunds, maybe even after years! Because of Blizzard's copy protection, they KNOW how much copies we have installed, what we have done with it and where it has been. The old arguments against refunds are not applicable anymore. If somebody has money for a good lawyer, he/she could even try to argue LOSS of money, because you WERE going to make a lot of profit on the RMAH!!! :) Read this on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misrepresentation and start fantasizing!!

Personally, I am quite happy with D3 and had little problems, and maybe expected less, but I understand people's complaints. (Although I would be REALLY angry if Blizzard applies hotfixes to my PC without letting me know. That's intrusion. Don't think that happened though.

What there needs to be is a industry quality standard for video games. Or a few of them to differentiate between "cheap" and "expensive" games I guess... Like there is for every other stuff. Some ISO-245352 or whatever. At least that would help resolving disputes easier by a third party like a judge when issues arise. Because, there is a hell of a lot of money going around in this business, but it is handled naïve, unprofessional and uncontrolled.

Snipe

p.s. Consider this: in 1,5 years, some cyber weapon destroys the world... of Warcraft. Or there are just not that many people playing D3 anymore. Blizzard decides to shutdown D3's servers. CAN they? I EXPECTED to play the game for MANY years, like D2 and Wow, as is standard with blizzard games, INCLUDING a (R)MAH), like promised. Will they be forced to keep the servers running? Or pay a huge fine or something?

Will Blizzard, in the end, get locked out/in by their own DRM??

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Sid

Sid IncGamers Member

Re: Abort, Retry, Fail? --Will Blizzard get locked out by their own DRM?

>Will they be forced to keep the servers running?

I haven't read the EULA, but I'd be amazed if it didn't contain language that allows them to pull the plug at any time.

Seems an odd thing to worry about though. I fully expect them to keep the servers running for many years. Don't know why they wouldn't.

3. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

In a decade or so DIII will probably be shipped on something like the bestseller games series mags, including a server emulator. And nobody will make a big deal about it.

Lawsuits were never the tool of gamers and even the most ridiculous copy protection schemes were laughed at after some time went by.
    Blizzard might even have cheated itself out of some money, I lost my DII/Lod cases numerous times ending up buying the game like 4 times, I wouldn't have to do that with DIII since if I loose it my key is stored on my account...

4. RyTEK

RyTEK IncGamers Member

It is ridiculous to assume that you will be able to get a refund and/or sue Blizzard for lost RMAH revenues when/if the servers shut down (and I doubt they will this side of 2020). And no, they will not be forced to keep servers running.

In recent history dozens of servers have gone offline with players having zero legal financial retribution. For instance, those that paid $149 for a lifetime subscription to Hellgate: London were crap-out-of-luck when the servers shut down after 18 months. And yes, that was OFFICIALLY KNOWN as a LIFETIME subscription, and they still had zero legal standing in the matter.

I'd say good luck, but Blizzard issues are getting more litigious than the 1990s where people in the U.S. would sue over people looking at them wrong.