Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

AARGH! Going insane...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Drystan, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

AARGH! Going insane...

Ok, so my lvl 80 HC PURE cold sorc is now in act 4, up to Diablo.
    She levelled to 80 doing NM Baal runs looking for a stupid Jalal's! (I gave up after maybe 30-40 runs. :) ) Anyway, she does nice (for me) 3k Blizz damage and 1.7k spikey cold... Umm.

Anyway, she kills fast enough. I got to Diablo's room in about 10 mins, just tele'ing everywhere. But WTF! Damn those cold immune OK's! A nightmare for melee's my ***! I can't kill them as I'm blizz, and my merc can't kill them cos he's either decrep'd or IM'd...

I've a Wizardspike, so my resists are all 70+. And there's two cold immune OK hero's: The sealed one, and another.

Point and laugh at me :) I'm going insane buying potion after potion only to see my merc die time and time again. Maybe, as it is HC I should just walk away before I start melee'ing with her. :undecided:
    Merc has Spire of Honour with 1.5'ish K damage.

Anyway, just wondering if there's any secret to handling these guys as it's driving me mad. I have no idea how I did it last time! Any tips as I'm completely lost and can't think of a way out, not even the obvious solution.

[/rant]
    [insanity]

Thanks (for letting me rant about this)

Dryst! :thumbsup:

2. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Find some Lower Resist charges on a wand and use those. Your Cold Mastery doesn't start working on Cold Immunes until their immunities are broken by other means (like Conviction or Lower Resist, for instance). I would bet that Lower Resist combined with your Cold Mastery would mean their immunities disappear :grin:

3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

The obvious solution is "Go run NM Meph about 1,000 times."

Your merc is going to need some better gear to plow through CI's for you. Make sure he has life leech, socket Amn's into his weapon if needed.

Look for any of the following items:
    • Hone Sundan
    • Kelpie Snare
    • Guillaume's Face
    • Vampire Gaze
    • Shaftstop
    • Duriel's Shell
    You might also consider a few hard points into Static Field to increase its range. I put about 10 hard points into it, and I can static the whole dang screen.

-GG

4. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

If you have a Bonehew, stick 2 Hel runes in it (you'll need 117 str iirc), put it on switch, cast bilz till you get a few bodies, switch and CE. It'll only work effectively on /p1, but it'll do the trick.

5. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I found a flying knife of lower resistance a little while back, it's all yours if you want it. Give me your email address, and it will be on it's way tonight

6. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

OMG! Charges! :( The obvious answer.
    Lol. Thanks Psycho. :)

Lol GG. I've an Eth Hone Sundan, Guillaume's Face, and Duriel's.
    My merc is wearing a 750 defense armour, Hwanin's Helm, and the Lance. The only part of his equip I want to change is his helm.

The problem is, my merc either killed himself on IM, despite me teleporting him away, or he's decrep'd and can't attack fast enough to hit anything.

I never actually planned on plowing through CI's. My plan was to teleport past 90% of act 3 and 5 and only kill those I needed. She's a meph/ancient tunnels runner. Unfortunately, I forgot OK's were CI.

I'll try swapping my mercs items for the Eth Hone, Guill and Duriel's.
    Thanks again :)

Edit: Haven't found a bonehew in a while. I'll need to do the 1000 meph runs. :) While running NM Baal, I found quite a few nice things. My wizardspike, duriel's, natalya's boots and the like.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm selffound. I appreciate it.

7. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I know it was the obvious answer, and you didn't really want to go down that path, but it works.

The offer is still up if you want it.

If not, I'll be posting it in the giveaway thread... tick tock :p

8. nex

nex IncGamers Member

I don't think charges of LR will be enough. IIRC cold immune OKs have insane amount of cold resistance, not even Conviction can break that. I hope I'm wrong on this :wink3:

9. Quizzart

Quizzart IncGamers Member

What about gambling a really crappy weapon for your merc that has a ton of elemental damage on it and socket it with a pruby or something so his damage isn't physical so not much gets reflected back at him? And doing the lower resist thing.

10. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

I hope you're wrong too, nex

I'm planning a frost assassin, who will have a throwing knife of lower resistance on switch. But if that won't break the resistance ... :(

11. sawm

sawm IncGamers Member

What I do (this also works for the second wave in Baal's Throne Room), is teleport right next to the bugger, static him down to half (or 1/3 or 1/4, depending on difficulty) life, and then let the merc take over while I use telekinesis to keep the enemy "pinned" / "stunned". Also works great for CI Lister.

12. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure nex is right on the immunities...

13. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

YAY! Crisis over. Heh.

Sawm, Great minds think alike! Except for one thing. I didn't use static field. Slowly, I separated them 1 by 1 (after getting the other 4 seals.) That venom lord guy was CI too! I teleported over to them, took a step back, and 4 mana potions later, they're gone. GO TELEKENESIS! Same thing with the hero OK guy.
    It took a little while, but much quicker than I thought it would.
    After that, fought Diablo and he died even quicker.
    Next up: Act 5, full of CI. Go Pure Blizz Sorc! Honestly, apart from the ancients and CI baal minion waves, I'll just teleport past everything. :smiley:
    Hopefully my first new guardian!

Thanks again for letting me rant my insanities (or something.) :grin:

14. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Hopefully you can be the second Darkchaos and bring her to lv 99... then you are a legend of SPF already!!

15. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Although it might be nice, Suiling, that's not my thing :grin: I'm just happy with guardians.

Just an update: She's already up to Baal!
    Teleporting through act5 took about 5 minutes, ancients took quite a bit longer, and she had 1 attempt at Baal's minions.
    The first wave were easy.
    The 2nd wave: The skeleton mages are CI and I thought I'd attempt it properly some other time.