Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Aaah.. The burdens of Math.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Raith, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Raith

Raith IncGamers Member

Aaah.. The burdens of Math.

I don't know if I'm the only person that been up all night trying to figure out math questions and such, and the next day, its like I've never seen the problem before. Maybe it isn't even that, I remember one time in class, I was taking a math test, worked down to 6 problems, and all of a sudden, a block. My head was numb, no nausea or anything, but all of a sudden, a white blink, I practically knew I had forgotten the problems and everything else. The time went so quick, and then the bell rung. 30 questions there, 6 solved, 24 remained. A week or so later, I got the test back. Guess what I got? a 18. No clue how I got a 18, but at least its something. Of course, I would rather have a 0 than anything below a 70. And today, coming home like always, I opened up my mailbox. There it was, my name all over it, a progress report. I knew it was coming, I haven't got a passing quiz/test grade since forever. A month probably.

My mom, as always, and like every other mom that cares. Lectured me, and for one, I hated lecturing. Sigh! So does anyone know like... math sites with examples and etc? I'm doing Alg2 right now. Thanks.

2. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Multiplication: Addition's Tricky Pal

3. toader

toader Banned

The math sites probably wont be much different than your text book. If your having problems understanding that, I dont think that having the same information on a website will help you out.

What I would reccomend is a tutor or a freind you know personally help you and work thru some examples with you until you start grasping it.

4. Raith

Raith IncGamers Member

Yeah toader, possibly so. I've been trying my hardest to maintain my focus on math, but it doesnt work that way. Math is one of my severely weak points since for a long time now. I think I should go to school at 7 or so and ask my teacher for help. Aah, math is a burden. Thanks for the advice.

5. mouschi

mouschi IncGamers Member

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one that Tarnok can look down upon disdainfully. I would suggest praying for a miracle and going to tutoring with your teacher as much as you need. I'm taking college algebra for the second time right now, and I'm pretty sure I'm failing. Considering I'm otherwise an A student with a few B's for variety, this is not normal. I just don't understand or enjoy math (mostly because anything past 9th grade algebra is entirely useless for anyone but a math teacher or engineer). The only thing that has kept me from completely losing it is the tutoring.

6. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Unfortunately, I can't really empathise with having difficulty with math. However, I think there are a few things you may do that (IMO) would really help you out:

1) Get some sort of a tutor to help you. A friend from class that is doing well is a pretty good idea, but also a relation, or if the worst comes to the worst a paid-for tutor. Certainly were it me I would give you a hand in a few spare hours a week.

Obviously, this is not someone that 'does your coursework', but rather an aid to get into 'the way of thinking' for maths. It is an acquired taste, and not for everyone.

I'm quite surprised that your school does not provide extra classes for people struggling, they are reasonably common in other places.

2) Do lots of examples. Learning the theory is one thing, but you need practice in carrying it out. This is especially useful before tests and exams, but also quite handy to do after class of an evening. It should improve performance and confidence at least.

3) Relax. Easier said than done I know, but going into tests in a relaxed frame of mind can greatly improve your performance.

Websites IMO are definitely not the best way to learn math. Recommended course texts are far far better in the main.

And don't worry. There are plenty of people who simple don't have a flair for maths and have to work damn hard for their grades (and actually earn them), it by no means makes you stupid. Take comfort in what you do do well, and keep on plugging away to get the pass grade for your weaker subjects.

Good luck with it Raith!

7. Raith

Raith IncGamers Member

Thanks. Well, I'm one of those people that does my work in class, and not really 'socializing' with others. Because if I do, I easily easily get distracted, it's one of my flaws.

For the tutor thing, I think I'll have to setup appointments with my math teacher. Yeah, our school doesn't have those things that help students who are struggling with subjects.

Doing tons of examples, I do them a lot, but sometimes I don't know I just get distracted, always somehow. My attention span is also low and short, that's bad for me. Sometimes when I overdo problems, I tend to forget it. I got to find a new method of doing examples and problems.

I mean, I used to be a C/F student but I've worked my way to A/B's. And math is killing me here, having a hard time. I'm going to try my best. Thanks again guys.

8. Icarus

Icarus IncGamers Member

sometimes it is easy to get sidetracked while doing homework. math is something that needs your whole attention while doing it. if you can't concentrate at the task at hand, it'll be difficult to get anywhere, especially if your mind wanders.

try working in a secluded area, away from usual distractions:tv, radio, people.

well maybe that's just me, i like to work alone, with little distractions.

also, when doing problems, it's helpful to have your notes handy in case you get lost, or can't figure out what to do. refer to your notes, then do the problem to the best of your ability. then check your answer.

suppose the attention span and concentration problems are personal things that only you can fix. all i can say is, try your hardest. math is fun. :thumbsup:

9. Raith

Raith IncGamers Member

Yeah, you're right. My focus is always wandering, sometimes I wish I was smarter because if I don't get something in math, I can never get it...

10. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I'm a math major, and there is one thing that has helped me along the way: Caffeine. And lots of it.

Make sure you listen in class and work through the samples BY HAND. Just reading the board does almost nothing to help your understanding of the material. I know many people feel they just can't do math, but concentrate and you can learn it like anything else.

11. Raith

Raith IncGamers Member

Yeah I know just by staring it won't help. Because Math need two skills, memorization[For the formulas and such] and do math by hand. But caffiene, I need that... I mean, I stay up VERY late and I'm sleepy. I usually get 4-5 hours of sleep each night.