Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

a zealot question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ToastedTacoGuy, May 12, 2005.

1. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

a zealot question

i am going to start a zealot, the only question is which to start, a frost or a tesladin? i like the idea of cold damage, it makes things slow and its blue. i like blue. but then i think of lightning damage, which has a higher maximum, and then i could use a HF merc to get the slowing effect. which one of these is going to be easier to take through the game?

2. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I say go for lightning if your using a HF merc. You'll get lots of lovely blue monsters thanks to the merc, and do potentially alot more damage with the HL.

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Personally I think tesladin is easier, especially consider you got CM runeword which gives -35%(!) enemy resist, that's even better when you have a griffon's. My own teslasin is probably the only char whom I took through the game on p8 all the way with ease. Only death is due to being amped and have 9823464238407 stygian fury shooting at me in frozen river, which I don't think any char can survive.

4. Chiastic

Chiastic IncGamers Member

While we're talking about zealots, is it worth it to max HS for the % blocking so you can pump the extra stat points into vit?

I'm thinking no, since according to my math the max-block difference at clvl 99 with a GA/HoZ combo between 0 HS and 20 HS is about 37 or so dex, which is only like 111hp (and because a measly five points in HS scores you 70% or so of the max bonus), but maybe I'm underestimating the value of HP to the builds.

Also, for a HF zealot (or a tesla, for that matter), is it worth it to get fanat for dealing with the immunes or is might/zeal good enough?

And one final question: Is it just me or is GA wildly overrated? +15 to max resists and +20% blocking is nice and all, but the blocking bonus is really pretty negligable and it's not like anything other than lightning is worth being concerned about on the resists end of things (and that's what tgods is for). Or am I missing something?

5. chicagofan51

chicagofan51 IncGamers Member

I took a Frost Zealot all the way through Hell, and actually morphed him into a decent MF'er until my harddrive failed and he was lost to history. I seldom use Mercs (at least until this point), so the crowd control was great. Whichever way you go, remember that crushing blow is your friend. My FZ was pwnd by the CI's in the claw viper temple until I farmed NM Meph for enough CB gear to deal with them. Oh, and if you have a pair of Drac's, most Zealots are essentially imortal.

6. Chiastic

I actually thought about the %def, but for a super-twinked max-block frost zealot, I figured that it didn't really matter much. Or is that a bad assumption?

7. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

Agreed. And I would hardly call 111 hitpoints "only" after so many posts by people here on the "fragile paladin". 6 20life small charms = 120life. 6 small charms with 5All Resist = 30AllResist. Many people use ViperMagi over QueHagan simply for 25-35AllResist, which no one refers to as "only".

8. NSXdreamer

It is. :lol: With high level of HS and some decent armor, 10k+ def can be easily obtained, which is quite nice in hell. Try it sometimes, you'll notice even with max block, 2k def and 10k def have a huge difference.

9. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

I loaded my freezalot with tons of cold damage and there are plenty of monsters that just stop altogether when I hit them so thats what I vote for. It might do less damage but is loads of fun. GA is the only armor for pallys.

10. NSXdreamer

I used gloom archon on my tesladin, sick defence with nice resist. Used gris' set socketed with cold facets on my freezer, though I have to say for the rarity of the set, it sucks.

11. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Guardian Angel is most certainly not overrated. In addition to +skills (always good), and the +blocking% (which means less Dex for max blocking), you have the +max resists. With the right gear, it's not too hard to hit 90 res all in Hell (my avenger has 95 res all, if I remember right). Then you have the bonus AR vs. demons (note that all act bosses and many of the nastier superuniques are demons). Icing on the cake is the faster block rate, which means you spend more time swinging, and less time blocking.

edit: Don't forget that GA has pretty awesome defense when upgraded.

12. ToastedTacoGuy

ToastedTacoGuy IncGamers Member

one thing to take into account it that i did just get a nightwings, so that is another 10% on to cold damage if i decided to go that route, although as of right now i think i am gonna do the tesladin once i get a guardian angel and the runs for CM

13. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

GA is overated, both gloom and stone are better, I have an upped GA with an um collecting dust in my stash cause even that isn't as good as stone(for a fanat zealot)

edit
    my upped ga has a 1300 defense, my stone has a 2100, I never die cause I have lack of resistance, 85 light, 75 rest is more than enough. although I have almost maxed defiance, so that 800 defense differense is multiplied quite a bit, and that extra defense lets me tank better.

Also the 60%FHR is a huge help when fighting fanatic/might enemy packs, and also baals last minion set, where there is really no case where the extra 10% resistances is a big help

14. Chiastic

Hehe, ok ok, I stand corrected. GA=l33t. But here's my issue. I found an HoZ last night so I decided to make a frost zealot to use it. I plan to emphasize CB, and I'm wondering how I'm gonna come up with enough resists to actually use the 15 extra that GA gives.

Right now my planned end-game setup (and yeah, this is twink city, but I hate to just let this gear rot in my stash) is:

GA
    Gores
    Heaven's Light
    Guillimane's
    String of Ears
    HoZ
    Dracs
    Ravenfrost
    21 Mara's
    BK ring

Now, factor in three +10 res scrolls from Malah, and I'm gonna need +155 res all to hit 85% across the board in Hell. And the above setup is good for 71 as-is. In a fantasy world where I have enough Ums to socket up the helm, armor and shield AND have a +10 res all jewel for the wep, that still only gives +133. The difference there could be made up easily enough with charms and/or ditching the BK ring for a good +res all rare. Sadly, I don't live in that fantasy world and have exactly ZERO Ums to burn and only a handful of res all jewels, none of which give +10.

Which means that I'm gonna have to do some serious charm/rune/jewel farming to come up with enough to actually take advantage of the GA, and I'm wondering whether or not it's really worth it when I could use those Ums to go with a Stone or Gloom there instead (especially since this setup has a mana leech problem that needs to be addressed as well, probably by socketing an eth or two somewhere).

Thoughts?

15. Immortal_Slayer

Immortal_Slayer IncGamers Member

It shouldn't be too hard considering filling ur inventory with |+9-11 single resist charms is easy...And it's mainly fire and lightning...you can always gulp down thawing and antidote potions for their +50 to cold and poison resist.,..

-Slayer

16. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

HoZ socket with PD alone can add 69% resist all. you mara gives 21%. That's already 90%, plus 2x quest award (you don't get the last until very late, so don't count on it). you start hell @ 10%. Getting few 10+ resist all jewel won't be a problem at all (15% is a bit harder). Socket GA with 10+, and get rockstoper (socket with another 10+), you can hit about 60-70 resist fire/lit/cold easy. The rest is no brainer if you add few charms. At least if you don't aim 90% resist poison in hell, it is too easy to get 90%+ resist in F/C/L with your pally.

17. NSXdreamer

Yeah, that's another thing with use GA on melee, you can't really get that much resist without sacrificing lots of other combat gears.

18. DeathMaster

upped GA on barb, sacrificing zero combat gear, yet still get 90% resist all :D

Pally with HoZ has no excuse.

19. Howitzer Al

Howitzer Al IncGamers Member

Barb has Natural Resistances.

20. DeathMaster

But barb doesn't use HoZ either. My concentrate barb use SS, my double thrower use no shield (how can you use shield with 2x throw axe?).

They both get 90/90/95/90 or 90/90/90/90. How much resist you can get lvl1 NR with +skills, and how much you can get from PDed HoZ?

Now you tell me if there is any excuse.