Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A way to negate exploding dolls?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Lonewolf256, May 10, 2005.

1. Lonewolf256

Lonewolf256 IncGamers Member

A way to negate exploding dolls?

Does anyone have a fool proof method to negate exploding dolls?
    I usually play a strafer w/WWS and about 95% IAS.
    I have now lost 6 HC zons ranging from CLVL 52-79 to these lovely dolls.
    The last one was a lvl 79, with crafted gloves (knockback), upped WWS, highlords,ravens, war travellers, wyrmhide lionheart armor, tals mask, and at least 60 resists.
    The first 4 zons died without knockback , so crafted gloves still dead.
    This generally happens in durance 1 or 2.
    Starting again but will be awhile to build up the armory (items from mfing), so have time to plan a survival method. The lvl 79 zon rocked in pits, but I wanted to make her a Guardian. (I play solo or with 1 mule)
    Any suggestions welcome

thanks,
    Lonewolf256

2. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

This is painfully obvious and I'm sure you're already doing this but you could constantly recast decoy out to the edge of the screen to attract any dolls before they see you. Your merc and valk would act as the second line of defense to catch any ones that get past the decoy.

A holy freeze merc would also give you more time to react to incoming dolls but I doubt you want to lose the damage a might merc gives you.

A high block/low str shield like Whitstans' or Moser's on switch might help if you can switch in time. That's pretty much how my melee characters prevent getting hosed from dolls exploding all over the place.

3. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Can the explosion be dodged? I seem to recall my tankazon avoiding the damage somehow, but I'm not sure if it was from block, dodge, or leech.

4. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Ouch! I feel your pain. I have the same kind of luck with Paladins. Does your death scenerio play out this? The dolls have gotten by your deek,merc and valk. You are surounded, you know you need to run, but strafe's auto-target feature won't let you. You shoot, they die/you die. In the dark days of 1.09 the strafe duration (strafe-lock) often took the blame for what the auto-target did. The answer is use another skill. FA is what I use, shattered dolls do not explode.

Also, trade out one of the ravens for a Dwarfstar. I posted about the dolls explosion being half fire/physical to you a while ago. What was your life at? your r/w speed?

5. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Um. If I'm not mistaken, cold has 0 effectiveness against dolls in hell. Does FA still work against them?

6. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Yeah, you are right. My last trip through hell durance was with a Harmony bow. I used a lot of MA for mana recovery. I'm not really sure what killed them, and don't really care. But I do know that auto-target lock is much worse than strafe lock in some situations.

7. Lonewolf256

Lonewolf256 IncGamers Member

The last zons life was at about 970, passives around 40% each D/A/E.
    I was clearing area when killed, merc,valk and decoy died 1/2 screen away.
    So I guess lag was possible, took screenshot after death and they are good distance away from me. I had just killed about 20 of them so was going slow, standing behind wall of tanks and firing into adjacent room. Don't think it was strafe lock.
    I will try dwarfstar in future.

Thanks everyone for suggestions, and keep them coming if you think of them

Lonewolf256

8. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

This is analagous to Iron Maiden. Killing them killed yourself. They must have gotten close because the explosion range is quite small. Use Dwarf star and also max your fire resist. A Gaze/Shaft will help against the physical damage too. Finally consider using multishot for Durance 1 and 2 so you can retreat if you lose your minions, or javelin + shield since the explosion is blockable.
    My dual wield (SC though) Barb has problems there even with 4,000 life since defense is ignored.

9. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Remember, there is no shame in running in Hardcore. More than a few times my softcore bravado has gotten the better of me. Take it slow bro! :thumbsup:

10. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

The dmg done by exploding dolls is 100% physical and can be Dodged/Evaded/blocked.

quietus: FA won't slow em down.

11. Tarantella

Tarantella IncGamers Member

Ive lost a few in Act3 mainly because my valk has done a sharp u turn and poked at one off my toes though a couple of times the doll has seemed to appear from nowhere (no doll sound) so lag maybe.

Ive learnt not to automatically fire off my weaponry when theres dolls around. Running back and dropping a decoy works nicely as does spamming decoys all over the screen.

Teleport amulet might be a cheap option?

12. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

Thanks RTB, I wasn't sure about that, but I was never challenged about this the first time I posted about it. I'll still stand by the Dwarf Star, considering what is coming up ;)

13. Wmeredith

Wmeredith IncGamers Member

This may not help, if you're not rich, but I think iwhen you double up your Knockback (Gloves and WF) it doesn't actually stack, but it gets rolled twice on hit. So you have at least double your chance to do it. That may help. The HF merc is also a great idea.

14. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Multiple sources of Knockback don't add to the chance to knock back a target.

15. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

Yeah, I thought that was the case. I found that to be one of the most annoying things about the little buggers when I was doing mf runs, that my sorc's orb might kill them, but it didn't slow them.

16. HCTwinJava

HCTwinJava IncGamers Member

- as a bowazon, don't attack stygian dolls (or variations) on sight - only do so from a very safe distance AND do so only if you are sure the dolls are actually attacking some other targets (merc, valk, decoy, other ppl or their minions).

- if a doll attacks you, don't fight back with your bow - instead, run away (and cast decoy on top of yourself on escaping).

- a well-equipped melee merc can almost always 1-hit kill a doll in a 1ppl game, that's why I would remove my merc's wpn before my sorc tele in the durance or in the sewers, even in SC.

- the same type of dolls may reappear in act5 - their danger is second only to black souls and extra fast (moon/venom/etc) lords.

- in HC, whenever both your merc and valk are gone, you are already in potentially BIG troubles. I would never keep fighting. I'd immediately run away, regroup, and then come back.

- A screenshot of the deeds won't tell all the truth since it's frozen at the moment of dying and won't show any desync (if any).

BTW, you are not alone. I lost a half dozen ama over the years. I stopped playing d2 a whole month after I lost my "best" Javazon due to a worst lag. And I totally stopped playing the 1st HCL after my 7th 1.10 char, a Javazon, died to PK due to my negligence.

I'm now playing SC as well as my n-th Javazon. She has not died once in my hands, though she's in SCL. I'm happy with her. And very likely, she'll be my very last Javazon, and my 2nd last ama (who will play this game forever?).

17. League of Shadows

League of Shadows IncGamers Member

Couldn't you just grab a few cheap cold charms? The cold shatters the body a portion of the time, thus, no explosion. Decoy always helps to, I tend to cast decoy a few steps ahead of me, to take all incoming fire.

18. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

the only foolproof way is not to attack them, which doesn't help much if they beat you to death.

the best method i found was to use an a2 merc and let him attack them, and run away before he kills them but after they target him. the decoy thing doesn't work if they have already targetted you. it takes good timing though, as you want to start running once he starts his attack. if you run too early, they will follow you and get out of his range. if you run too late, he'll use them to kill you.

usually i can take at least 1 explosion, although i usually always use a shield. you might want to try using a shield/jav on the switch. you don't need any skills, just use "throw item" skill.

another trick is to use freezing arrow. the arrow shouldn't kill them, but will give you time to back up and fire a 2nd time or allow your merc/valk to take over.

19. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Much easier: my bowazon doesn't do Mephisto, Diablo or Baal. Avoids all problems with Dolls, OKs and unleechable and/or merc-killing act bosses. Duriel often takes a few potions for my merc as well, sometimes even Andariel cuases trouble, but it's manageable.

20. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

look at the terrorzon post, it's how i deal with them. they never even get close to me. dont use the knockback when doing tho, it will just mess it up.