Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

a way to counter possible RW rerolling

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Denton, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

a way to counter possible RW rerolling

Code:
    Fortitude
    Superior Archon Plate
    'ElSolDolLo'
    Defense: 1663
    Durability: 60 of 60
    Required Strength: 103
    Required Level: 63
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0x9813c181
    +200% Enhanced Defense
    +14% Enhanced Defense
    +300% Enhanced Damage
    +15 Defense
    Damage Reduced by 7
    Fire Resist +30%
    Lightning Resist +30%
    +5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
    Cold Resist +30%
    Poison Resist +30%
    Replenish Life +7
    +1 to Light Radius
    25% Faster Cast Rate
    12% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
    20% Chance to cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
    +107 to Life (Based on Character Level)
    Socketed (4: 4 used)
    Here's a video of making the Fort. Sadly, video google ruined the resolution, so text is almost unreadable:
    I has a Fort Edit: please note that this video is just for "entertainment" *cough*or bragging with my Fort*cough*

XDoomasX came up with a neat idea that everyone who is going to be a part of SPF's trading and/or multiplayer scene, would have to make all higher runewords in the presence of an observer; another SPF member, that has full trade status in effect. The threshold of what is to be considered a "higher" runeword would need to be determined.

The observer should be able to see the target item before, and after making the runeword, and preferably take a screenshot of it, just to remember the exact properties of the finished runeword. After making the runeword, the maker should copy&paste an ATMA readout of the runeword item, which the observer would then confirm to be either a match or a mismatch to the result seen in-game.

This would be to disencourage and prevent possible runeword rerolling. What do you think? Oh and - ehm - I hereby bestow the honor to answer questions and to comment possible replys, to XDoomasX. Thank you. *runs awaaaaaaaay*

Important edit: With rerolling, I meant illegitimate rerolling through making the save file read-only or something like that. Clearing the sockets in-game with the Hel cube recipe and making the runeword again with different runes is of course legitimate.

2. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

Runeword rerolling? Is this in order to get perfect elements of the variable parts of the runeword?

Sorry, I had never even considered this before, so I am at a bit of a loss as to how and why this would happen! :)

3. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Yep I confirm that Denton is one lucky bastard...30 res all Forty:thumbsup:

Alltho I still doubt its possible to make a rule out of it, since some members dont have access to internet, or have one where they cant join or create mp games.

But I think Its a realy nice idea.:cool:

Spearthrower: IIRC Jantia rerolled his grief that way, but later confess that he did it.

edit: rerolling means, backing up save files wich lets you create the RW again in hope for better stats.

edit2: Everyone, pls read everything Denton posted. Video was used only for show off, main thing is observer (respected member) who sees through that RW is made once. Screenshot is needed to make sure there's nothing else in players inventory.
    I dont see any way you can fool observe/SPF by doing this procedure.

4. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

To get better stats on a rw?

5. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

Are you talking about deleting the save file and using the same runes to make the rw again? In that case the video would be fine but not every one can use it.

Or are you meaning to burn it with hel rune and remake it?

6. Freekje

Freekje IncGamers Member

He means backing up save file before trying, and then trying again and again until satisfied. Hel rune would be considered legit in my opinion, it costs you multiple high runes then.

But in my opinion, this is maybe too strict, although this rule would not apply to me, as I don't trade or MP anyway.

7. sablast

sablast IncGamers Member

I can see nothing wrong with that. I did it with spirit, insight, grief, hoto.

8. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

What makes you think that we believe that's not your 16th video? I'm not saying that it is, but it certainly could have been. I haven't seen the video, but unless it includes the drop of the rune and the making of the RW in one contigiuos stream, and even then, it could easily be a subsequent try.

The only way we can have legitness is blind trust. That's why when that trust is broken, we get a little pissy about it.

9. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

Because the point is there would be an observer watching the socketing process.

Makes no sense.

10. nex

nex IncGamers Member

You explained your reasons for re-rolling Grief but I still think that was pretty damn insane thing to do :tongue: And I guess almost everyone will agree with me :wink3:

What was wrong with HOTO? Low res? Look at mine:

Heart of the Oak
    Flail
    'KoVexPulThul'
    One-Hand Damage: 1 to 24
    Durability: 30 of 30
    Required Dexterity: 35
    Required Strength: 41
    Required Level: 55
    Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 80
    Fingerprint: 0x87a18d17
    +10 to Dexterity
    All Resistances +31 :smiley:
    Adds 3-14 cold damage over 3 seconds
    7% Mana stolen per hit
    Replenish Life +20
    Increase Maximum Mana 15%
    40% Faster Cast Rate
    75% Damage to Demons
    150% Damage to Undead
    +100 to Attack Rating against Demons
    +3 to All Skill Levels
    Level 4 Oak Sage (18/25 Charges)
    Level 14 Raven (60/60 Charges)
    Socketed (4: 4 used)

Oh, and nice idea Denton but there are many reasons that would prevent it from working.

11. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

GAaaaaaaah! Forgot to include that important part. Of course I meant rerolling via illegitimate methods, like making the save file read-only etc. It's perfectly legitimate to "reroll" a runeword in-game by clearing the sockets and properties first with the Hel + Town Portal scroll cube recipe, then shoving the runeword in the item again. Well I'd prefer that to be said as "remaking". You're basically burning the same runes again.

12. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

Now that wasn't very nice thing to say. Also it seems you didn't read the whole text. The video is there only for the kicks. It doesn't prove anything, I do understand that.

Edit.... Should have used edit button! Sorry. :tongue:

13. YoungDbl

YoungDbl IncGamers Member

The video was a sorta good idea, but not every one can do it and there are plenty of ways to get around it. Besides I know if I just found the vex rune ive been waiting to get for a awsome runeword I dont want to take the time of making a video and finding an observer. The spf works on trust. Brake the trust and you make every one mad. If you personally dont want to trust some one for a trade or MP with them, DONT. A video isnt going to seperate hackers and non hackers. Go on your instincts and if you get tainted get there personal information and kick some a$$ ! Just my .02 :grin:

14. sablast

sablast IncGamers Member

Like I said a lot of times, it all comes to this: I don't have to have a lot of "something", but that "something" have to be beyond average. I chose wolfs as my favourite chars, whish are less then average, by default. So I want my wolf to be extremely good, I am always proud to beat some paladin/barb with him. That's why I burned Lo runes. I could have saved griefs, but I would, at one point, give up on hf rushing if I had grief alive. And at that moment it wasn't allowed to trade runes. Also I could try to trade it through pms, but I hadn't any friends at that time on SPF, so I wouldn't be trusted.
    Hoto had 30 resists, and I reroled it once for DoA challenge, cause I couldn't find a way to improve resists on my necro without sacrificing life and damage.

15. zenithsmith

zenithsmith IncGamers Member

a thought that came to mind....what if you have two people that are in cahoots? It comes down to trust again, sooo might as well just go straight to trust but Its a decent idea but how many traders would want to be bothered as well...not that this applies to me in the near future but does this mean you want people to hand over high runewords to observer for verification purposes? because i can see problems with that.... plus for the people who don't really trade, or are not super active in the forums, it seems like a lot of hassle to find someone to observe for you.... i mean i'm not really gonna want to attempt to find someone because i want to make my runeword at 3:00 am est so i can have my beast wielding fishymancer..and if/when i can make it i'm not gonna want to wait a day to test that badboy out.

16. Denton

Denton IncGamers Member

zenithsmith: Yeah it would be a bother. Still, a witness would increase the runeword's credibility in my eyes at least. And about viewing the item to the observer: Instead of actually dropping it and letting the other one to pick it up, it can be done via trade screen. Practically no risk there.

17. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

A single post in Item find thread will get you plenty of observers in 5 mins.
    And handing over RW is not neccesery since there's a trade widow.

Im not offering to make this a strict rule, just like making a screeny isnt a must when you find high rune.

18. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I have to say it is an interesting idea. Particularly with the advent of being able to trade runewords.

Getting and observer wouldn't be difficult; we are all on different timezones, after all. It would benefit the newer members most, I think. As you say, a suggestion like taking a screen shot of runes, rather than you must do.

I do have one concern. But I am going to PM that.

19. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

There are still ways around this rule, easily. Those who cheat will go to such lengths to do it. One painfully obvious way to do this would be to simply pre-roll, as I'm sure some of those would. They would then show the duped armor, and pretend to socket it, and afterwards show the pre-rolled item made in a dupe of the (un)socketed armor. You'd have to open trade after each rune is socketed, and even then, one could bring the pre-rolled items though it becomes an inconvenience.

What is one to do, socket every single slot except the runeword + runes with 1-space items and show every one of those in the trade screen, in order to show that there is no possible way to have more than one "roll" of the item?

20. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

I haven't traded in awhile, not do I MP. I the distrust in the SPFTF that high, that this sort of thing would be necessary? I realize that every now and then someone gets caught hacking or cheating, and the a couple of people get burned by it. This seems to be going down the trail of "lets put a video camera on every SPF players puter so we can determine legitness or not".