Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A two-part thread !

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Samsung, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Samsung

Samsung Banned

A two-part thread !

Alright guys, My computer has officially died on me. So I'm looking for a cheap and effective replacement. Here is what I'm currently looking at:
    http://www.shop.earthlink.shopping.com/xPO-Dell-Dimension-E521

It's very cheap, and it looks like it could run WoW/Guildwars/Several copys of Diablo II without a problem.
    Do you guys think I should buy this? Keep in mind my budget is very very tight.

Also, I'm using this 8 year old computer which I have a 1.10 copy of Diablo II still installed. I don't have my original disks anymore, so I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to email me the d2video.mpq file and the d2speech.mpq file. I think these are the two needed files to make Diablo II Loader work. If someone would like to email me these using www.yousendit.com then please post here and I will PM them my email ASAP.

Thank's guys for your help/opinions. Oh, and HP, if and when I get this copy of Diablo II up and running, you better watch out for me ^.^
    I'm going to win that DexAZon tourny :p
    :evil:

2. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

That computer wont be upgradable, and it doesn't say how many Megs of Ram the Video card has. Most likely it's onboard video and shares with the main Ram which also sucks. but, it will play d2. I wouldn't expect any spectacular WoW performance from it though, however the price it right and you're broke so thats the most important part, right?

Challenge excepted! I'ma kick your ***!
    PM me your e-mail address and I'll mail you the files in the next couple days.

-hps

3. Samsung

Samsung Banned

Thanks hp!
    and that really is dissapointing about that computer. I was really excited when I saw the price, and I thought the specs were going to be just right. My last computer had onboard video, and it ran DII. The only problem was I constantly got video lag, and that's what drove me to quit the Realms. During singleplayer when I get video lag so do the monsters, so they can't eat me while i'm frozen.

4. Hp_Sauce

What are the stats of your old computer? That Dell one might still be better.

-hps

5. tomatoman

tomatoman IncGamers Member

depending on the video card in that pc, i think it would be a good buy.
    shared video ram isnt too bad anyway even if it does have it.

Offtrack: is it possible to intall d2 and make it work w/ loader if your cd is somewhat broken, but you get broken files from someone/ another comp?

6. Samsung

Samsung Banned

The dell had 128 MB of ram and I think it was a Pentium III. It was a Dell Dimension 2300. I just finished emailing Diablo to myself so I could move my Diablo II from this old computer to my Dell 2300, and I re-hooked up the moniter to the dell, along with the keyboard and the rest. Then I hit the on button and a black screen came up saying that windows/system32/system or something like that was missing or corrupt and I remember that happening a week after I first got the computer. In a fit of rage I took the computer and threw it off the Deck. So.. if my dell was better, it's gone now. The dell was garbage though, I talked with a Dell representative on the dell website and he gave me a link to the type of ram I needed to buy to upgrade it and they were 150 dollars each. That was for 256 sticks I believe. It's going to cost me more to upgrade it then it initially cost me to buy it so I decided to chuck it and buy this new computer.

@tomatoman: I have no idea. I would imagine you could put the entire game together using files from someone else, because that is what I initially tried to do, but I was missing a great amount of files. GL though, and if you need individual files I can send them at a later time once I get my Diablo II working again. Also, if you need a list of all the files that would be inside the Diablo II folder, I can provide that as soon as HP gives meh the 2 files.

7. tomatoman

tomatoman IncGamers Member

some furthur advice, the E521 your looking at will run multiple d2's perfectly.
    Having 1gb of ram for that price is a good deal, most computers at that price range have 512 mb, but may have more powerful video cards.
    Try asking on a WoW forum the same question here, but that should be able to run the game smoothly without other stuff running in the background.
    I dont know about guildwars, but if it can run WoW it should be able to handle GW too.

Im just gonna go out and buy another copy of d2 classic cd's because i want to have them on-hand anyway but thanks for offering to send files anyway.

Another Edit:
    i looked on the dell site for customization of that pc, you can upgrade the video card to a 128mb ATI radeon X1300 for $50, i think the recommended to run wow is 64mb, so you would be well above that.

8. Hp_Sauce

Oh my! If I understand this correctly you're saying your old computer was a P3 with 128 Megs of ram. If this is the case then that new computer you are looking at will be a bizzillion times better then your old one, and you should deffinetly not upgrade the old one. Infact throwing it on the ground was a good idea. Maybe try throwing it out the window next? Or off an over pass?

-hps

9. Samsung

Samsung Banned

Lol HP, I know what you mean. I am hoping it will be a bazillian times better. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to take a cinder block to my old computer. Budget restraints stopped me from doing so, but now that I realise I can have a computer like that E521 I didn't restrain myself. I'm glad I destroyed my old computer, the part's weren't even salvagable. I still can't believe that i paid $800 dollars for that computer a few years ago. It makes me want to take a cinderblock to my head as well =\

@tomatoman: Alright. If you need me to send you files just give me a PM. I should probably do the same thing and go out and buy a new disk set, but the locla wal-mart doesn't seem to have any. I guess i'll have to order them online.

edit: thanks tomato. If I buy it from Dell then will they go ahead and upgrade the video card for me if I pay for the upgraded video card? I don't want to buy the computer+video card and end up making a mistake installing it. Thanks again!

10. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

Looking at the old pc, I suspect that your problem was a lack of ram.
    You don't need a mega pc to play diablo. My standard diablo pc is a 750 Duron (or is it Athlon - can't remember), but it does have 256 MB ram.

Depending on your operating system, drivers and whatever else you've got running in the background, your problem may well be good old-fashioned swapping.

DelBoy

11. Samsung

Samsung Banned

Yes waflob that was the problem. The other problem is it was going to cost me a hundred dollars for the video card and then another 150 EACH for the 256 sticks of ram. That is 400 dollars. In the end i'm saving money :D