A Trio of Twins – Project Planning and Update Thread

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
I was having a lot of fun with this playthrough, so I focused on Death and Ragnar instead of the 99er necro. And Death has returned home to Harrogath once more at level 81!

We picked up in A2 Hell and pressed into the desert. Beetleburst, Dark Elder, and Fangskin were dispatched without excitement, with a return trip to clear out Maggot Lair. After commenting that the Ko was less likely than the Thul, of course a Ko dropped (and still no Thul now in A5). The set spired helm fell on level, which was interesting, but not with Guillame’s, so it was muled off at the next break.

I was worried about getting stuck in a few places, due to build/single-target and gear limitations. Coldworm was not one of them, but that’s exactly what happened with Fanaticism and cursed mod preventing Death from getting a foothold enough inside the room:
H A2 (Stuck).jpg
It was too crowded for howl to help and he couldn’t even safely get to entrance to leap attack to chest and grab the staff. I gave it 20 minutes and at least 5 resurrections of Ragnar before grabbing the super chests and S&E’ing. Interestingly, one of the chests dropped a Sounding Skiller.

If this had been a tourney, that would have been it. But we cleared back and encountered a similar situation, but with no aura or amp:
H A2 (Retry 3 boss packs).jpg
There were three boss packs mixed in, which I’ve never encountered and didn’t even think was possible. The lack of amp made it workable, and he whittled down the Sand Maggots to limit spawning. Ten minutes later we were clear!

After that, things went more smoothly, although the Summoner was on the fourth arm in Arcane Sanctuary :rolleyes: We went straight to the true tomb, and picked the chamber as the first area explored. Duriel was straightforward with some thawing potions for Ragnar and Death, with nothing useful in the drop.

Death then pressed into A3 Hell, trying to make a bee-line to LK WP. It was not to be, with nearly the full length of Spider Forest to reach the Marsh, and nearly the full length of it to hit Flayer Jungle. But things balanced out, with this drop after clearing the Dungeon:
H A3 (Shako).jpg
We kept the 84MF IK helm equipped through the end of the act, but it made the Rockstopper obsolete (due to solid resists without the helm, except poison which Rockstopper doesn’t help). We then full-cleared the Kurast areas and Temples, with quite a few S/Us dropping, but none that were useful. We encountered this nasty boss in the last causeway Temple, but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

Council were surprisingly easy, largely because they followed 1-2 at a time, and the Durance 2 WP was right by the entrance. On the way down, however, Stonecrusher dropped. It’s interesting, but not worth a respec (for more strength) and given 2-handed playthrough theme. But Shaeffer’s would have made me rethink that for sure.

After a break, we picked back up, and made our way to Mephisto. Battlecry with large damage from Berserk made him easy. I hoped his drop had a second Angelic ring, but it was Cathan’s.

We then used our last three re-runs for this difficulty on Council, LK, and Meph. Council was actually fun, and dropped Bloodletter, which got some consideration for the merc to allow Death to equip Doombringer, but it was just too low damage. So it was muled off to leave a little space in the stash. Meph dropped Butcher’s Pupil, which I kept on switch for now with a 4os Monarch with a Tal toward Spirit (no Thul yet). He also provided another set ring on the last run, that did turn out to be Angelic’s.

It was time to move into A4 Hell, with the second Angelic’s ring replacing the Nagel, and Shako replacing the IK helm, which was finally muled off. Quite a few triple packs greeted the pair in the Steppes and Plains. But with an assist to more frequent howling to focus on bosses, it was smooth sailing to Izual, who went down meekly. After tagging the WP, we took a break and prepared to full clear the rest of the act as A85 areas.

We rolled a super chest map, which was interesting, with worms, blunderbore, and abyss knight types. War Cry to stun packs and take out worms, and howl when we encountered boss packs (two were double packs). Hephasto was cursed and extra strong, but we drew him out and safely dispatched him (I thought this was a pretty cool action shot). Then the HF. I’d been hoping for Pul or Mal, but I’ll take this for sure:
H A4 (HF Gul).jpg
RoF delivered what may be the last major gear upgrade, allowing the merc to give up his Doombringer:
H A4 (Bloodmoon).jpg
The life leech and decent damage (with added bonus of open wounds) made it a no-brainer, and Death now does very solid and fast damage with Berserk. We switched immediately :D Infector wasn’t bad at all, with War Cry, Howl, and Battle Cry/Weaken keeping things plenty safe. Much the same for Diablo, with the merc needing 2 full purples to survive firestorms. Drop wasn’t useful.

Pierre Tombale and the IK helm have been muled off. Aside from the Rockstopper (which is still in there just in case), stash is now quite manageable, with only full purples, flawless/pgems, and runes (Hel+ and an Amn). Gear is as follows:
Code:
Doombringer
Shako
Lionheart Russet Armor
Angelic jewelry
3-piece Sigon’s (gloves, belt, boots)

Merc:
Bloodmoon
Guillame’s (socketed with 29/7 Realgear of balance jewel)
Smoke Serpentskin
Here’s what LCS says (with BO and BC active):
H A5 LCS.jpg
I will have some more time to play this evening so hopefully will progress at least rescue Anya. I'll play direct but completing every quest, with the full-clear for WSK as an A85 area.

PhineasB

Diabloii.Net Member
Patriarch Death and Ragnar the Barb Merc, Level 83 (pic)
Patriarch Death.jpg
The twins finished up Act 5 Hell, finishing each quest (except socket and personalization). They didn’t full clear surface areas, but full-cleared all the underground areas—except Frozen River, as will be explained :)

As a reminder, Death is untwinked and playing as a 2-handed berserker with War Cry for stunning enemies. I’m also playing him with some extra limitations: no extended stash, and a modified single pass approach where, in each difficulty, he can select only 5 areas/targets to rerun 5 times each (otherwise, it’s single pass).

The thoughts of full-clearing the entire Act went out the window when the Bloody Foothills were full, and I mean full, of archers and quill rats. It could have been done, but would have been more tedious than I cared for at this point. So we went straight to Shenk and on into the Frigid Highlands to rescue Ragnar’s comrades. There we picked up a welcome drop in Gheeds (only 28 MF) and a Fine SC of Strength. We also full-cleared the weird portal areas, with the first having witches and stygian dolls.

After a break (with game paused), we went to the Arreat Plateau, and found the second portal area. It rolled Moon Lords, with a couple bosses that were managed fairly easily due to Howl and Battle Cry: the first, with the second screenshot being a tad late but showing the pretty consequence of his cold enchanted mod.

The Crystalline Passage WP was right by entrance, so we full-cleared the area and hold off on going down to rescue Anya and instead press up to the Ancient Way WP. After full clearing Glacial Trail and Drifter Cavern, the last portal area was right by the entrance to Frozen Tundra, making it easy to find and allowing the twins to hug the eastern edge of the Frozen Tundra to reach Ancient’s Way . . .

. . . which had Moonlords, but they weren’t as scary for Death as for other untwinked tourney characters. This guy was a bit of a challenge due to the mana burn, but still pretty straightforward. We went down to Snapchip, who had witches and gloams for company, making it challenging but manageable due to not too many of them and only witches as boss/champion rolls.

We then went back to rescue Anya, and Snapchip’s companions had been a preview for what awaited. Lots of gloams, including several boss packs, one of which was convicted, and witches. Yay! :p So we took as straight a path as we could manage, but still hit a triple pack of gloams (two bosses, one with conviction and the other with HF aura, and champ pack). There was enough going on that I didn’t want to risk screenshots, and we eventually prevailed with strategic use of the little alcoves and corners in the map to allow Death to take on a handful of them while being shielded from the others’ bolts. After that, Frozenstein was a breeze.

We then went to the Summit, and took on the twins’ elders for the last time. No amp, but we also weren’t able to separate them (likely due to Ragnar’s more aggressive approach than other merc types). After four circuits to the top and bottom, we finally decided to just square up and take them on. Battle Cry (and Weaken proc from Doombringer) was again key, as well as positioning to try to keep Ragnar between Death and Madawc (who had mana burn). Death focused on Korlic first, then took out Madawc to avoid running out of Mana pots, finishing up with Talic. Fairly straight forward, using all but one mana pot, all vita pots, and all but one big purple (to keep Ragnar alive early in the battle).

We paused and left the game running overnight before tackling WSK, which was full-cleared for each level as an A85 area. WSK1 had marauders, bats, and hierophants and zealots, which were the biggest threat due to blizzard spells. This level also provided the best drop of Death’s playthrough:
H A5 (RJoF).jpg
This is the fourth one of these I've found overall, so pretty cool it came from an untwinked playthough and with a character that is melee. :)

WSK2 had the A3 carver types, gloams, and skeleton mages. A carver boss provided Angelic sabre, which went to switch for +100 MF on hork with the two Angelic rings. WSK2 also dropped Fleshripper, which was cool but not useful. We again paused and left the game running before moving into WSK3. It had OKs, skeleton mages, and demon sprites. So very manageable rolls for the WSK levels. The throne room rolled gloams, including some bosses, vampires, and Megademons.

Around this time, some sort of bug set in and made the final stretch frustrating: about half the time, Berserk hit but did no damage. You could see the lightning damage from one of the charms hitting, but the monster’s life didn’t drop. When berserk hit, most monsters dropped in 1-2 hits. I tested a few times when it happened, and had 15 straight swings register no damage but seeing lightning damage for almost all. With AR >16000, it couldn’t have been whiffing that many times (LCS showed 83-84% chance to hit the few times I checked). :mad: It seemed to be tied to War Cry, as when the stun wore off and Death repositioned, Berserk would usually start working and the monster would drop in a flash. But it didn’t seem to be tied only to Berserk. I switched to Concentrate several times (including for Achmel), and it seemed to be happening with that attack. The chance to hit was so much lower due to lower AR, though, that I can’t be sure. No idea what was going on but maybe it had something to do with being left on overnight?

Anyhow, it made the waves more challenging (or at least take longer) than I had expected. Colenzo was easy after howling the little guys away. Same with Achmel, although Concentrate did less damage (and this is when the bug really started getting annoying. Actually, same with Bartuc and Ventar too; howl is really great for bosses. I wasn’t going to mess with Lister, so had planned to fall back and string them out, pulling the first 1-2 back to the stairs to leave plenty of room to maneuver. It turned out to be a good idea, as Lister was nasty and the frontrunner in chasing Death out:
H A5 (Lister).jpg
We ended up using 2 purples in addition to all the reds, but then the minions were easy when taken on individually. Baal was anticlimactic, although he went crazy with the tentacles and mana burn, requiring one trip to town to restock on potions. A little less than 3 minutes including the trip to town, I’d guess. His drop included IK maul, which could have interesting earlier in the playthrough but was muled to the stash.

We then tackeld Pindle and went on to take down Nihl, with a Thul finally dropping from one of the sparkly chests. I went ahead made a Spirit shield, just because :)

This was a fun playthrough, especially when approached as a long-term project. I enjoyed the modified single-pass limitation, as it made the drops he got that much more exciting. But it also allowed a little better gear than he would have if truly single pass (and made it easier to not feel compelled to full-clear everything for the drops, which ends up getting tedious for me).

Notably, he made it through death-free, confirming that 2H berserk with War Cry is a very safe build, as Nightfish established quite some time ago. The Doombringer was a great drop and made Ragnar very powerful along with the Guillame's. Interestingly, Bloodmoon wasn't too much worse after Death got the Doombringer (Ragnar still took down monsters on his own).

Readouts are below:
Code:
Name:       Death
Class:      Barbarian
Experience: 902656883
Level:      83

Naked/Gear
Strength:   126/176
Dexterity:  83/102
Vitality:   291/313
Energy:     10/22
HP:         1343/1685
Mana:       92/216
Stamina:    440/456
Defense:    20/719
AR:         400/105370

Fire:       131/91/31
Cold:       146/106/46
Lightning:  125/85/25
Poison:     94/54/-6

MF:         232       Block:      13
GF:         **
FR/W:       20
FHR:        0
IAS:        30
FCR:        0

Bash: 1/4
Leap: 1/4
Double Swing: 0/0
Stun: 1/4
Double Throw: 0/0
Leap Attack: 1/4
Concentrate: 1/4
Frenzy: 0/0
Whirlwind: 0/0
Berserk: 20/23

Sword Mastery: 1/4
Axe Mastery: 0/0
Mace Mastery: 0/0
Pole Arm Mastery: 1/4
Throwing Mastery: 0/0
Spear Mastery: 0/0
Increased Stamina: 1/4
Iron Skin: 1/4
Increased Speed: 1/4
Natural Resistance: 1/4

Howl: 20/24
Find Potion: 1/5
Taunt: 1/5
Shout: 1/5
Find Item: 9/13
Battle Cry: 1/5
Battle Orders: 14/18
Grim Ward: 0/0
War Cry: 15/19
Battle Command: 1/5
Code:
Sigon's Sabot
Greaves
Defense: 13
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Level: 6
Required Strength: 70
Fingerprint: 0xba3f2db3
Item Level: 46
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+20% Faster Run/Walk
Cold Resist +40%
Set (2 items): +50 to Attack Rating
Set (3 items): 50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

(2 items): 10% Life stolen per hit
(3 items): +100 Defense

Angelic Wings
Amulet
Required Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0xf3d08156
Item Level: 61
20% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
+3 to Light Radius
Set (2 items): +75 to Life
Set (3 items): +1 to All Skills

(2 items): +10 to Dexterity
(3 items): +50 to Mana

Angelic Halo
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x89248de6
Item Level: 59
+20 to Life
Replenish Life +6
Set (2 items): +996 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

Sigon's Gage
Gauntlets
Defense: 15
Required Strength: 60
Fingerprint: 0x4946a884
Item Level: 45
+20 to Attack Rating
+10 to Strength
Set (2 items): +30% Increased Attack Speed

Sigon's Wrap
Plated Belt
Defense: 174
Required Strength: 60
Fingerprint: 0xb0d3e6ea
Item Level: 72
+20 to Life
Fire Resist +20%
Set (2 items): +166 Defense (Based on Character Level)

Lionheart
Superior Russet Armor
HelLumFal
Defense: 238
Durability: 34 of 34
Required Level: 41
Required Strength: 83
Fingerprint: 0x7843f0d3
Item Level: 49
20% Enhanced Damage
All Stats +10
+15 to Strength
+5 to Dexterity
+10 to Vitality
+50 to Life
All Resistances +30
Increase Maximum Durability 15%
Requirements -15%
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Hel Rune
Socketed: Lum Rune
Socketed: Fal Rune

Hel Rune
Weapons: Requirements -20%
Armor: Requirements -15%
Shields: Requirements -15%

Lum Rune
Required Level: 37
Weapons: +10 to Energy
Armor: +10 to Energy
Shields: +10 to Energy

Fal Rune
Required Level: 41
Weapons: +10 to Strength
Armor: +10 to Strength
Shields: +10 to Strength

Angelic Halo
Ring
Fingerprint: 0x808dcfa
Item Level: 87
+20 to Life
Replenish Life +6
Set (2 items): +996 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

Harlequin Crest
Shako
Defense: 119
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 62
Required Strength: 50
Fingerprint: 0x235c6b2
Item Level: 82
+2 to All Skills
All Stats +2
+124 to Life (Based on Character Level)
+124 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
Damage Reduced by 10%
50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Horadric Cube
Fingerprint: 0x1c087732
Item Level: 13

Angelic Sickle
Sabre
One Hand Damage: 3 - 8
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 25
Fingerprint: 0xc4886dfb
Item Level: **
+75 to Attack Rating
+250% Damage to Undead
Set (2 items): 75% Enhanced Damage
Set (3 items): +30% Increased Attack Speed

Spirit
Monarch
TalThulOrtAmn
Defense: 135
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 86 of 86
Required Level: 54
Required Strength: 156
Fingerprint: 0x24be9080
+2 to All Skills
+26% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+105 to Mana
Cold Resist +35%
Lightning Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
+7 Magic Absorb
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

Tal Rune
Required Level: 17
Weapons: Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
Armor: Poison Resist +30%
Shields: Poison Resist +35%

Thul Rune
Required Level: 23
Weapons: Adds 3 - 14 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
Armor: Cold Resist +30%
Shields: Cold Resist +35%

Ort Rune
Required Level: 21
Weapons: Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
Armor: Lightning Resist +30%
Shields: Lightning Resist +35%

Amn Rune
Required Level: 25
Weapons: 7% Life stolen per hit
Armor: Attacker Takes Damage of 14
Shields: Attacker Takes Damage of 14

Doombringer
Champion Sword
One Hand Damage: 108 - 277
Two Hand Damage: 263 - 373
Durability: 33 of 40
Required Level: 69
Required Strength: 163
Required Dexterity: 103
Fingerprint: 0xc743d1c3
Item Level: 86
8% Chance to cast level 3 Weaken on striking
Indestructible
229% Enhanced Damage
Adds 30 - 100 Damage
40% Bonus to Attack Rating
5% Life stolen per hit
Increase Maximum Life 20%
Code:
Ruby Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0xbcb2b4ed
Item Level: 38
Fire Resist +28%

Ocher Grand Charm of Strength
Grand Charm
Required Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0xd8d6a4ca
Item Level: 58
+4 to Strength
Lightning Resist +20%

Lapis Small Charm of Shock
Small Charm
Required Level: 10
Fingerprint: 0x375d6953
Item Level: 1
Adds 1 - 6 Lightning Damage
Cold Resist +7%

Lapis Small Charm of Dexterity
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x5b9f3337
Item Level: 10
+1 to Dexterity
Cold Resist +6%

Cobalt Small Charm of Strength
Small Charm
Required Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0x5512dd2d
+2 to Strength
Cold Resist +8%

Coral Small Charm
Small Charm
Required Level: 20
Fingerprint: 0x72297176
Lightning Resist +8%

Amber Grand Charm of Life
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xda043540
Item Level: 47
+17 to Life
Lightning Resist +27%

Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x4ec42be6
Item Level: 79
+16 to Life

Sounding Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 42
Fingerprint: 0xfd07cb64
Item Level: 85
+1 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)

Gheed's Fortune
Grand Charm
Required Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0xab069aa6
Item Level: 84
**% Extra Gold from Monsters
Reduces all Vendor Prices 11%
28% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Garnet Grand Charm of Strength
Grand Charm
Required Level: 15
Fingerprint: 0xa89d0364
Item Level: 48
+6 to Strength
Fire Resist +23%

Amber Small Charm
Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x427a3f4c
Item Level: 79
Lightning Resist +10%

Viridian Small Charm of Dexterity
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xfa405b07
Item Level: 7
+1 to Dexterity
Poison Resist +7%

Cobalt Grand Charm
Grand Charm
Required Level: 15
Fingerprint: 0xcda6a461
Item Level: 36
Cold Resist +25%

Emerald Grand Charm of Pestilence
Grand Charm
Fingerprint: 0xc81b072f
Item Level: 83
Adds 25 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
Poison Resist +27%

Rugged Small Charm of Fortune
Small Charm
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0x4498da4c
Item Level: 51
+16 Maximum Stamina
4% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Fine Small Charm of Strength
Small Charm
Required Level: 21
Fingerprint: 0x28943c81
+2 to Maximum Damage
+13 to Attack Rating
+1 to Strength
Code:
Name:       Ragnar
Race:       Barbarian
Type:       1hs-Normal
Experience: 69471716
Level:      83
Dead?:      false

Naked/Gear
Strength:   205/220
Dexterity:  132/132
HP:         1557/1557
Defense:    1433/1844
AR:         2161/2161

Fire:       201/161/101
Cold:       201/161/101
Lightning:  201/161/101
Poison:    201/161/101

Smoke
Serpentskin Armor
NefLum
Defense: 194
Durability: 13 of 24
Required Strength: 43
Fingerprint: 0x2293517b
Item Level: 57
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+75% Enhanced Defense
+280 Defense vs. Missile
+10 to Energy
All Resistances +50
-1 to Light Radius
Level 6 Weaken (18/18 Charges)
2 Sockets (2 used)
Socketed: Nef Rune
Socketed: Lum Rune

Nef Rune
Required Level: 13
Weapons: Knockback
Armor: +30 Defense vs. Missile
Shields: +30 Defense vs. Missile

Lum Rune
Weapons: +10 to Energy
Armor: +10 to Energy
Shields: +10 to Energy

Death's Guillaume's Face
Winged Helm
Defense: 217
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Strength: 115
Fingerprint: 0xabc50f62
Item Level: 86
+37% Faster Hit Recovery
29% Enhanced Damage
35% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike
+120% Enhanced Defense
+15 to Strength
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Realgar Jewel of Truth

Realgar Jewel of Truth
Jewel
Fingerprint: 0xcc4284fd
Item Level: 57
+7% Faster Hit Recovery
29% Enhanced Damage

Bloodmoon
Elegant Blade
One Hand Damage: 108 - 147
Durability: 26 of 32
Required Level: 61
Required Strength: 109
Required Dexterity: 122
Fingerprint: 0x56a5a3d0
Item Level: **
228% Enhanced Damage
11% Life stolen per hit
50% Chance of Open Wounds
+9 Life after each Kill
Level 15 Blood Golem (9/9 Charges)
He has a great LK map, and a nice Council map. So he will probably respec to WW eventually, likely after leveling to 85 at Council, then run LK and maybe some Countess for Oath ingredients and farm essences for at least 2 tokens so he can respec further without losing his map. He will stay untwinked and without extended stash. But we will go back to focusing primarily on my untwinked 99er Necro, with the goal of getting to 98 before RFL starts.

Thanks to those who followed along for this project :) The themed approach was a fun way to play some new characters that I'd been wanting to try (and motivation to overcome my general disinterest to questing new characters through Normal and Nightmare). I'm going to think of another theme, maybe a Sept, as motivation to tackle some of the others on my to-do list!

Last edited:

jonnyphive

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice themed project. The twins idea is fun; I really liked reading the updates about the untwinked barbs. They had some very nice finds and the gear was quite respectable by the end. Combined with the inherent safety of a Warcry Berserker, I imagine that that play-through went smoother than you might've anticipated. Glad that pair of twins made up for some otherwise lackluster loot from the previous pair.

ArtOfSenf

Diabloii.Net Member
Exceptional read, loved to follow death and Ragnar. May their future be bright and full of good drops!

Thank you for the inspiration and the detailed write-up, it's always a pleasure to follow these threads and it really makes my nights reading through these stories before going to bed!