Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A thrower barb??

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kung Poo, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

A thrower barb??

Hmm... searched through the Barb forum and also the SP FAQ, and yet, no 1.10 thrower barb guides. Anyone have any ideas about this?

I've never done a thrower barb before, but the idea sounded kinda fun, so I started one, currently on clvl 7. So how about you folks? Ever had one in 1.10? How did he fare? What kinda gear should I employ? What skills to invest?
    :scratch:
    ~K_P

2. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

I can't help you with any experience 'cause I haven't played one yet, though I am hoping to take a throw barb to Guardian in My Septavirate. ;)

I did a search in the Barb forum too, and came up with these possible threads. (Hope the link works...)

One of them (found here) gives a couple of successful 1.10 builds.

Good luck.

3. Spook_Cell

Spook_Cell IncGamers Member

Well for skills you could max Throwing Mastery, Double Swing(dmg bonus), some in Double Throw depending on your ar issues. 1 in Increased stamina, Faster R/W, Iron Skin as well as whatever you need in Natural Resistances. I guess you could also use frenzy but since I've never used that skill before I don't know exactly how it works.

4. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Maxing Double Swing and Throw mastery and possibly BO as well depending how defencive you play and if it's in HC or SC. I think one or two point can be enough for double throw.
    There are some nice axes added in the last patch, you have the Lancerator Unique Winged Axe, and Gimmershred Unique Flying Axe. The last one have a quantity above 200. I think the Lancerator have 180 and Replenish quantity. If you are lucky and get a hold of 4 Lancerators you can save some trips to town and repair.
    Hope it helps and Good Luck

DX

5. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

Well, thanks for all the advice and such. After a little more digging, I think I've realized this build may just be a little too in depth for me. Call me lazy, but it just seems... well... hard. And since I have absolutely no special throwing weapons of any kind, I have little incentive to keep playing this guy (not to mention I keep hearing people say they become disinterested in their throwers by around clvl 35 or so).

I'll probably can the barb I have and start up a concentrate, since those seem to do well these days. My only beef with that build will be against IM. *shudder* One hit suicide sounds icky.

~K_P

6. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

My build:

120 Str (+20 = 140 w/Arreats)
    150 Vit
    Rest in Dex

4x Gimmershred

Arreats Face (40% ED)
    Highlords
    60IAS, 60 FR, 30 LR, 30 PR Armor
    Knockback IAS Gloves (LoH for bosses)
    Raven Frost
    AR/Mana leech
    Razortail
    Goreriders

6 10 max charms
    6 resist all charms
    (75/75/25/55) - lightning resist is 85 w/thundergods for gloams

20 Throw Mastery
    20 Double Swing
    20 Shout
    20 BO (15 @ lvl 80, max this last)
    1 Natural Resist
    1 Double Throw
    1 Frenzy
    1 Grim Ward
    1 Axe Mastery
    1 Leap Attack

Substitute max dmg charms for resist charms if you don't have IAS jewels with resists for the armor.

My opinions:

I wouldn't take a throw barb into hell without 4 really good throwing weapons with adequate stack sizes (>200) otherwise you'll be repairing more often than you'd like. You need to shoot for high speed (60 IAS armor is best IMO), and high dex.

Use grim ward to keep monsters at a distance, wear some knockback IAS gloves, and go with a might mercenary. If you max shout first, he'll be able to tank just fine, and between a good tank, grim ward and knockback gloves, you'll have all the crowd control you'll need (razortail is really nice to have too, do not pass this item up). You'll need at least 75% resist lightning (because of gloams), but the rest of your resists can lack since you can keep distance between you and the other elemental damagers. Despite what many have said, the damage isn't bad at all, in fact its about as good as you can get for melee builds. I do 1.7k-8.5k damage and wreak havoc on anything that gets within range (I have really good gear though, but expect around 6k at least).

The maggot lair in hell sucks, because its a little difficult to utilize your tank, but the rest of the game shouldn't be too difficult, or at least right in line with other builds.