Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A terrorist attack days before the presidential election i

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

A terrorist attack days before the presidential election

There's been discussions as to what would happen if there was a major terrorist attack right before the US presidential election. This in light of the Madrid bombings.

Let's use October 30, 2004. On this date, a terrorist cell successfully destroys the Supreme Court Building. All the Justices are killed. An estimated 2,000 civilians are killed and 15,000 other are wounded. For sake of argument, a semi loaded with 40,000 lbs of explosives defeated the barriers and managed to drive right up the stairs before detonating. The how isn't important.

Would you want the elections to be held at the usual time?
    Would you want to wait until a new Supreme Court is installed?
    Would you want to wait a short time for mourning then hold the election anyway? Say two weeks.

Holding the elections as scheduled could be a problem. If I'm wrong and the election is as close as 2000, who is going to be the ultimate authority? Who will be the one to tell the states they hav eto follow their own rules?

Waiting until there is a new Supreme Court definately would be a problem. There is no way in hell the Congress could agree on a single Justice, let alone 9 of them. There would be no Supreme Court unless one party won 60% of all the seats and could ram their choice through.

Waiting a short time would set a dangerous precedent. It would show the US could have it's elections affected by terrorism. We could very well see a major terroist attack before every election that the terrorists wanted to change.

I'm not entirely sure yet, but I believe the first would still be the best solution. It would only be a problem if the election would be contested. Which would be political suicide for the instigators of the challenge.

2. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

Scary scenario.

3. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

I would say that the elections should go forward. As the support Bush received after September 11th 2001 showed, I think a major terrorist attack would galvanise the people of the USA and put them firmly behind Bush. However, I acknowledge that it could also go badly for the Republicans if the people decided that they hadn't been doing a good job of preventing such attacks.

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I don't think a delay would be a problem, I think we've shown that when trouble occurs in election we will still make a peaceful transition in power, as for the political impact, perhaps we can examine the affect of the assassination attempt in Taiwan

5. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

I don't think they should go ahead immediately, oddly perhaps for exactly the reasons Steel described, along with one thing Smeg mentioned. The idea of an election that is likely to be lost and won on the basis of a single, massively traumatic, probably not fully understood event, and further is unlikely to be subject to the same inbuilt safeguards as usual, seems like a recipe for disaster. My opinion might be different of a terrorist act of similar magnitude that didn't specifically disable an entire branch of the government, and one necessary for 'safe' elections.

There's no shame, and no surrender, in reacting in a measured way to terrorist activity. Demanding that something 'strong' be done immediately, just for the sake of doing something, or acting as if it isn't massively distorting the entire political and social landscape in the short-term, seems to be likely to cause more long-term damage.

6. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

I do not think they could hold elections without a supreme court. The reason being, the supreme court can have an impact on who wins the election in a countroversial election, and without them, due process of our government could not take place. I would think a state of emergency would be declared until the government could get reorganized.

7. Nword

Nword Banned

Either way, I believe that an equal number of democratic and republican Justices should be temporarily appointed, and any odd numbers (seems like its 9 or 11 justices correct?) filled by a non party specific (qualified) person. These temporary justices would not have the full role. Furthermore, the sooner the better, and the appointments would be made my the Congressional Minority and Majority leaders, and the groups of non party.

God help us if ANYTHING nearly that bad happens....

BTW... did anyone hear about the prez and vp of Taiwan being shot (neither mortal) yesterday? And elections were today or tomorrow I think...

8. ScanMan

ScanMan IncGamers Member

Here's a scary scenario....

Big bomb.....like hundreds of Megatons....on DC.

Our entire government is gone forever......

Who do we elect? How far do we go with payback?

I say that we go all the way.....nuclear response.

If they want to **** with us, then let them learn what happens.

9. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Here's a not so scary thought: I'm glad people as belligerent as you aren't in control of anything important.

10. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Assuming it's a nation and not terrorists....

11. Nword

Nword Banned

No kidding man. Nukes would work... but would take care of all 6 billion humans on earth too... And nations don't seem to be ones to stick huge bomb in each others capitals. They hire terrorists indirectly for that...

I'm gonna have nightmares about this tonight....
    :scared:

12. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

That's similar to a Tom Clancy novel...all of the legislative branch is murdered as is all the executive branch (Cabinet + Pres, etc.) except for a few people (Vice Pres and Secretary of State, I think...?).

13. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg IncGamers Member

Smeg, indeed a very likely scenario. The responsible thing to do would to not give in to terrorism, in other words let the elections take place as planned. If there is some necessity for the supreme court to exist during elections, then I suggest that an emergency supreme court is installed immediately (consisting of less then the nominal number of judges) with the rest being apointed after the elections.
    Also interesting to see who would be blamed for the terrorist attack. The Madrid bombing, even when it was perfectly clear that it was Al Qaeda or some related organisation immediately, was first blamed on ETA. (Whereas ETA has in the last ten or so years not indulged in terror attacks, only in political murders, and there was no reason for a change in policy)

14. Tridge

Tridge IncGamers Member

where have you been for the past four years? O_O!