Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

a stupid scam to look out for.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by muteownz, Feb 18, 2004.

1. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

a stupid scam to look out for.

this one is pretty stupid but might be helpful to someone who doesnt know much about trade values. i went into a trade game called like trading8 so i guess they tried this a few times but 2 people where there. one clicked me said wug i showed some stuff then she said grr i need a griz helm bad!! i'll offer ist ahh! something like that i said dont have. so the next guy clicks me i showed him and magically the one item he had well with other crap was griz helm. kinda odd dont you think? so i said u know that sorc wants that helm for ist. he said heh they both left at the same time. so yeah watch out for stuff like that. and lol someone tried that "switch" scam where they show enighma then magically their invintory is full.. u get the "..." and the make room crap. then puts up an item that looks like enighma its a light magical plate. i'm like lmao. man people are stupid sometimes. oh well. if thats how you wana spend playing a game is trying to scam ur way threw it so be it :)

2. ButterFace

ButterFace IncGamers Member

I dont understand, what is the scam? One guy needs an item, the other person has it. How is that a scam to you? Maybe I'm missing something.

3. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I expect it's a way to artificially inflate prices, e.g. Scammer1 says to GullibleFool "omg, I need teh l337 cracked sashzor! I pay Ist!", then Scammer2 presents a cracked sash to GullibleFool and asks for an Um or something. GullibleFool pays Um, Scammer1 and Scammer2 go away with huge profit.

4. Thanatosia

Thanatosia IncGamers Member

First off, original poster, you need to edit your posts a bit better for clarity, reading that was painfully difficult.

Yeah, this is a very old and common scam, you see it all the time in trade channels. You usualy see something like someone in a trade channel offering Multiple SoJs (in ladder) or other obscene offers for the 'wraithturn' ring (or any other rare item name). After a while he leaves and someone else comes in advertising a bugged 'Wraithturn' ring, often with a notice 'dont ask me what it is, no noobs!' or something to that effect tacked on.

Needless to say the goal of the scam is to get a gulible and greedy idiot to pay out the nose for a crappy yellow-name item.

5. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

oh i'm sorry mr english teacher. didnt know i was being graded on my english and grammar skills. but anyways the point was griz helm on ladder uswest isnt worth ist at all. the scam is the other person had the helm. i would trade something crappy for it. i'd have it then try to trade it for the ist the other person would say nvm and leave. thus leaving me with a helm i dont need and over paid for cus i think i'd be getting an ist for it. :)

6. KranK

KranK IncGamers Member

Most of us don't read the post slowly enough to notice the errors. If we did, we would notice your spelling and grammatical errors. I didn't have any problem reading his post in about 7 seconds.

7. ButterFace

ButterFace IncGamers Member

Ok, I see what you mean now. They are hoping for an idiot to fool, and from what ive seen on bnet there are a lot of fools so that scam may work pretty well.

8. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

If anyone could read that in 7 seconds and still extract its meaning, that person is very gifted.

Let me just say this: People will grasp your meaning better if you actually use proper English grammar. This isn't a live chat and there is plenty of time to type coherently.

Carry on...

9. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

really, it was a perfect post, (at least ok enough to be understandable)
    thanx for calling me very gifted :).

10. engrsd

engrsd IncGamers Member

Dude, you lost me at "wug". I don't trade with anyone who can't take the time to spell out or say what they want. I HATE WUG. Ok, I feel better now.

11. discoboomer

discoboomer IncGamers Member

hehe, picky readers. I understood it fine. ph34R my l33t r34d1g sk1llz.

sounds like a decent scam idea. Kudos for that. but I always keep in mind my own wants and value accordingly.

12. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

Yea i was thinking that. The second anyone says "wug" to me thats it im gone. I also hate people who spam "show me item" like 3 times as if your blind. That ALSO makes me gone.

13. GIR

GIR Banned

Well thank you.

14. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Artificially inflate prices. I see it a LOT.

Usually the bait is some highly sought after item. The baiter asks for some fairly obscure item that his buddy has. When you ask the buddy for it, he wants a higher price than normal (eg, Fal rune for a spectral shard, or some such crap).

I nearly got nabbed by this one, till I remembered I had a spectral shard on storage. They quit immediately when I offered to get my mule.

Thank god I remembered, eh?

15. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

OT: I think it took me 12 seconds to read. But I might have bested your time if the original poster had used some additional punctuation and more-complete sentences.

I think a speed-reader would end up in a coma after reading that. :flip:

16. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk IncGamers Member

Thx for calling me gifted. English isn't even my first language...

-Sparrow

17. Azonian

Azonian IncGamers Member

Heh i think i dont think i missed beat on the one msg...took me less then 4 secs to read..i must play online too much

"..."

18. velveteenwabbit

velveteenwabbit IncGamers Member

*takes a bow* Now that made me smile.
    Thank you very much. :thanks:

Seriously though, it wasn't that hard to read at all, so I don't see why there's a need to belittle the person. Show some love :lol:

As for what mute was saying, that's not really anything new.... annoying, but nothing new.

Always good to do. You wouldn't pay 2million dollars for a hamburger, so no need to overpay on anything else :p