Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Sorcerers place in a party of two.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Xeraph, May 31, 2005.

1. Xeraph

Xeraph IncGamers Member

A Sorcerers place in a party of two.

Hello all. This is my first post so please bare over with my ignorance. Also I havent played D2 for like a century so my knowledge is rusty to say the least.

Im looking for some guidelines for a Sorcerer thats joining up with a Paladin for a PvM network game.

Im thinking Fire-Based spells combined with the Paladins Cold Aura.

Il be Playing the Sorcerer, and Im thinking a maxed out Warmth skill combined with Meteor would compliment the Paladins melee abbilities very well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Xeraph.

2. Angel_Dusted

Angel_Dusted IncGamers Member

3. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 IncGamers Member

If your paladin friend is open to any kind of build, an Avenger (Conviction and Vengeance) paired with a single tree sorc (like the above mentioned Blizzard) would prove to be a formidable team able to handle all enemies. He tanks, you blast away, everyone goes home happy.

4. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Pure EBotd Thunder Maul Charger with Maxed - Souped - Superfied - Ultrified - Megafied - Gigafied out Enchant... Drool...

Enchantress are rather hard to aquire items for however.

Sure Convic + FB sorc will own...

But we can't forget Hammer / Blizz they both do quite a lot of dam each...

- Dennis

5. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

Oh come on people, if they're playing over a network and want to have fun I don't think they'll have BotD's at their disposal.

Paladin - Zealot, max Zeal, Sacrafice, Fanaticism and Holy Shield

Sorceress - Up to you, Id reccomend a Frozen Orb sorceress, or a Blizzard sorceress.

6. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

:D you're right. I suggest Vengeance / Conviction Paly with Lightning Sorc.

- Dennis

7. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

It would seem a shame for a paladin to be with a sorc and not have conviction and meditation. Those auras make sorcs fawn over them.

8. Xeraph

Xeraph IncGamers Member

Ok Im trying hard to understand your abbrivations (sp).

From what I understand it seems a cold based (Blizzrard Sorcerer) is an all around very good path to chose.
    I ve noticed that the Cold Mastery reduces the resistance to your cold spells which i believe must be great later on when all enemies have resistances.

But how do I handle immunities? Immunity to cold and Im screwed right?

And is a single Rank in Warmth all that it takes?

Anyway, thanks for your help, its been most useful. :clap:

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

The sorceress focusing in one element is allways the strongest (Fireball+Meteor/Blizzard/Chain Lightning+Lightning) in 1.10 patch with synergies. If you go with another character, he can handle the immune monsters. One element sorceress is able to do most of the Hell solo only with teleporting through (not killing immune monsters) or with a strong merc.
    If you want the second element, then Frozen Orb + some skills in Cold Mastery is recommended (it's the best damage you can get for 30 skill points). That is why meteorb (Fireball+Meteor+Frozen Orb) is so popular build.

Paladin using Conviction aura reduces the elemental resistances (fire+cold+lightning) of nearby monsters by 125% at level 20. That will incease your damage a lot. In addition the conviction aura can remove immunities. Immunity means that the monster has more than 100 resistance. For immune monsters the Conviction has only 1/5 effect. (It reduces the resistance of immune monster by 25 at level 20) If the resistence is lower than 100 after conviction effect, the monster is no longer immune and other skills as -cold resistance from your cold mastery can take effect. It's believed that Cold Sorc + Avenger (Conviction+Vengeance paladin) is an unstoppable combo, but lot of cold immune monsters in hell are more than 140 cold resistant so their immunity cannot be broken by conviction.

10. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

A single rank? You play D&D or something? Generally speaking, 1pt is usually enough for Warmth. If you're untwinked, a few more points (maybe 5) might do well.

Personally I wouldn't go with a blizzard sorc. If your friend has conviction, then Fire or Lightning Mastery works better with it against most monsters. Although, conviction can break some cold immunes and then your cold mastery would reduce their resistance dramatically. But I'd be more tempted to mix conviction -res with pure lightning, the raw damage potential would be scary.

But I'm basing all this on the assumption that your friend uses conviction. You should confirm what their build is. You said something about a cold aura, so are they planning on making a Frost Zealot?

11. Xeraph

Xeraph IncGamers Member

(yeah I play dnd :lol: )

Well, the Paladin hasnt got a clue what to focus on, but by what you have told me i must urge him to spend "points" on both Conviction and Meditation. For his own you you mentioned Sacrifice and Zeal.

So, with a Paladin going the Conviction, Meditation way what would be the best: Cold (reduces resistances and may reduce immunity) or Fire (for great great damage potential) or Lightning (combined with meditation for tons and tons of spell power)???

thanks for the info on Warmth. +30% is great, and with tons of +2 level items that Warmth automaticly goes up in strength.

Im guessing Meditation (Paladin), Warmth and Lightning Tree would mean almost an inexorstable(sp) supply of lightning spells... right??

Well anyway, im getting closer to playable mage by the hour. Hurray! :uhhuh:

12. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Skip Meditate. It can be easily had on a merc with a very cheap runeword. Have your buddy look up the Avenger/Vengeance build. It compliments any sorc well but would be best served by a cold sorc since the immunities that it breaks will be brought down even further by cold mastery.

13. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

Why make the paladin use Conviction? That would just turn the sorc into a power-house and make the paladin useless.

As I said before, Blizzard Sorceress with Fanaticism Zealot Paladin. Very fun combo, and effective.

14. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid IncGamers Member

A paladin using vengeance will find conviction useful as well.

As a thx for his conviction aura you could always put a point in enchant to help him out a bit. That would go nice along with fireball/meteor sorc but if you choose to make a blizz sorc then 1 pt in enchant would still be good for him.

15. fraquar

fraquar IncGamers Member

The issue with playing any melee based Pally is that he will quickly become a bystander while the sorc kills 98% of the monsters. The balance is lopsided. If he plays a Vengeance/Conviction Pally he has basically turned himself into a player based runeword for the sorc. The sorc provides no help/support to aid the Pally in killing anything save the crowd control (killing everything even faster because of the Conviction). In two player games he may not even get swings in unless the Sorc shows some restraint. This can quickly turn from fun to extreme boredom for the Pally.

I would recommend you play a Hammerdin along with any Sorc of your chosing. Both can kill - and kill effectively. Both can go off in different directions if they so choose to and come together in Immune/tough areas. When the Sorc runs into immunes, the Hammerdin can handle that situation - much the same way a Conviction would allow the Sorc to. This is a nicely correographed dance; the Sorc can teleport (assuming this is fun and the Pally has no godly gear like Enigma) to save time during runs if you so choose, so both characters provide something the other lacks. Most of all, both can do this without godly gear if you are starting from scratch.

Both of you should be able to load up on MF gear if you so choose so their will be no disparity there save one being more lucky than the other and reserving bragging rights. This IMO is the best combination if both players want to directly play significant roles in the carnage.

While melee Pally's are fun - Blizzard all but made them novelties with the proliferation of Aura based runewords, nerfing the physical damage, and allowing most every other character class to cause mass casualties on a grand scale (save the Barb and the melee Paladin). Hopefully they address this in D3.