Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A solid weakness to a Mage (Hammer/Foh)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by thowix, Jul 5, 2010.

1. thowix

thowix IncGamers Member

A solid weakness to a Mage (Hammer/Foh)

I was thinking of making one of these, and so i was trying to think of a solid way to beat these, but they "seem" to cover it all lol... and even for the hard matches im gonna put 1 point in fana and slap on a grief to charge/smite people to death lol.... What really kicks a pally like this ***?

Id aprecciate tips from people who have played this, 1 thing i was srsly doubting about, since hammers can get such crazy damage... should i just aim for 8k++ hammer (is that enough??) and try to get the highest possible foh?

2. thowix

thowix IncGamers Member

Re: A solid weakness to a Mage (Hammer/Foh)

Comeon people, what gives mages trouble in pvp?

3. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

There is no invincible build, you may as well already know that,
    but a Mage has excellent coverage, as long as you distribute your skill points right.
    I've been playing Fohdins and Mages for many seasons, here’s some insight that might answer your question:

A 95% Energy Shield Sorceress, of any element will absorb your elemental attacks like a sponge, on top of being able to use rejuvs on her mana without you knowing, because her health is nearly untouchable unless you can manage some serious poison or deplete her mana pool of 2000+.
    Depending on her primary skill, she’d be able to outrun you and your Hammers with relative ease too.

An experienced Bone Necromancer can rip just about any build in a CvC duel, save maybe another experienced Fireball Sorc.

A fellow Paladin can take quite a few hits with Resist Lightning or Sanctuary active (which are staples for all PvPdins). A pure Hammerdin will make short work of you, and a pure FoHdin will overpower your conviction and OHKO you.

A Whirlwind Barbarian will be able to take quite a few hits as well, and will be a hard duel for you if you start the duel with even a minor disadvantage. If you give him the opportunity to namelock you, he'll telestomp you to death.

A Wind Druid makes any hybrid FoH useless (actually, it'd make just about any elemental attack with a cooldown time useless). Most Wind Druids won't hesitate to telestomp any FoHdin they see and FHR-lock you to death.

Everybody hates Bowazons.

And a Ghost will kill everything that doesn't manage to kill her first.

-Kinky

4. thowix

thowix IncGamers Member

I like mage because it has a pretty even chance vs anything...

First the 95% es sorc will be a pain in the ***. But a quick switch to gores + fury/malice/grief and a few poison charms would give me some good OW and psn damage to desynch charge em with. If i want to go BM i can just sorb them. And this is probably one of mages hardest duels...

A bone nec, i guess its probably gonna be a skill match, its pretty even.

Actually, any melee pally is gonna die vs me 99%, and thats because of hammers not foh so no resist lightning is gonna save them. Hammerdins, well if they sorb/stack, i can still win with 10k+ hammers, would come down to skill, if not i have hammer+foh so i guess thats an advantage, vs foh i can just stack/resist lightning myself :D

Good ww barbs use widow vs hammerdins, cuz a defensive hammerdin will win 98% of the time. Well guess what i dont have to go offense, cuz i have foh :D Still probably good duel.

Let me tell you, vs a windy druid the last thing i would try to do is foh. Just strap on a grief and dr gear and go liberator style on this mofos and it makes the duel ten times easier.

Same with bowzons.

And these 2 where considered mages hardest duels i think.

A ghost sin can be deadly yeah. But with 86 fhr and charge its gonna be hard to lock a mage down, and any combination of foh/hammer will kill these easily.

All in all, I think a mage is pretty well balanced (hammer/foh/charge/smite) and a pretty strong class, I already started making mine so we ll see if they live up to the standards..

btw i wrote that having used hammer and foh with 2 separate characters, never really played a hybrid.

5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I love that line about Ghosts =)

Oh I should add Ghosts love bowazons, they're like practice for the harder matches =P

6. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

You're making it easier than it really is. Chargers can desync and 1HKO casters, but you're not a Charger, and you won't have the type of AR or flexibility to catch sorcs when they're everywhere at the same time spamming Fireballs or Frozen Orb at you.
    My advice is just to try and collapse her Energy Shield with BH or FoH. Instead of trying to outspeed her using Teleport, hotkey Charge and FoH to left key and dodge her attacks instead.
    The easiest way to kill a Bone Nec is to just namelock him. Most Necromancers won't be able to take more than 2 or 3 FoH or Hammers. With these guys the trick is to survive long enough to take out his merc and his Clay Golem. FoH will hit those first if it lands on him while he is teleporting.

My Charger has been able to OHKO both pure Hammerdins and pure FOHdins, on the first Charge. You shouldn't underestimate the only class that can take on a Barb in melee combat.
    You can sorb a pure FOHdin, but that's not going to do you much when you can't damage him, because his Conviction will still overpower you no matter how many sorb items you have.
    Ghosts can also set traps and use Mind Blast. On top of Teleport, Fade and Cloak of Shadows, they are any dueler's worst nightmare.

-Kinky

7. thowix

thowix IncGamers Member

First I know im not a charger, and probably wont have the damage of a charger, BUT vs a max block es sorc with decent DR, your godly damage probably wont do that much either. Thats why I was talking about OW and poison. Most Es sorcs have really low life, even lower if theyre max block, so all you need is to trigger OW ( 500 damage or so, since Mages are high lvl by default) and go defensive with desynching hammers. And this is GM.

Oh im sure your charger is godly, but if it does OHKO a hammerdin is probably because he jumped him. And a ww barb, well he can just ww away from you and you will never hit him. And lol, if a sorb a foher I can kill him in any way I want (hammers,charge,smite).

And ghosts are nasty, ive played one for a while. One of their hardest duels is a desynching foher. I know they can set traps and MB and lock most classes, im telling you pallys charge is the best skill for getting out of there, with 86 fhr theyre gonna have a hard time locking you up.

8. Kinky

Kinky IncGamers Member

Seems like you have the build down to a science.
    Have fun.

-Kinky

9. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

Practice to achieve chains of FOH ---> Charge / smite with 1pt smite Grief ---> FOH ----> Hammer ----> Charge ---> FOH ---> Smite ... etc.

You're right, the damage will suck against ES sorc, because this being a hybrid, its incompetent damage wise against a huge mana pool when compared to pure foh or pure hammer.

With 8k hammer its around 65 life per hammer, even less with spirit MA and some mdr XD. And the FOH wont even touch them, with or without conv on.

Juvi pots are bm, on all realms all modes XD. Also a sorc with 95ES usually means its someone with expensive gear, which means 2000+ is ridiculous, more like 4500+ mana pool easily.

Love how you make all sound so easy. Pure pvp chargers are known for one hit KO's, tele zeal and tele smite can all dispose of hammerdins / mages easy (blind spots, southwalking, one uninterruptible and the other one autohitting attacks), also desynching or not, most paladins shouldnt be too hard a duel for ghosts. You want to trigger OW on a mb ES sorc with just a 1pt charge or smite? Easier said than done, you need more than one OW sequence and the duel will have long folded out by then, most probably in the sorcs favor. Dr on ES block sorc is very rare, never heard of them using SS, only WHitstans, SS is for vita block. The only variants with Dr are on non ladder, with certain particular 'lets not talk about those' items :p

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010