A sinner repentant

kanonfutter

Diabloii.Net Member
A sinner repentant

Hello out there,

My nick is Kanonfutter, and since I've started posting a bit I thought I'd better introduce myself to the community.

I originally saw Diablo 1 and thought: "Now, that is a lame game. You just go down and whack monsters. No story, and to-hit is based on random numbers without skill. I stick with shooters." However, somewhere down the line a friend of mine started to play real heavily, so I kind of gave it a try. Then, as months and even years passed, I came to appreciate the game. My then girl-friend and I used to setup a LAN game, she doing a rogue and I a fighter, and eventually I even beat Diablo himself (normal only).

Rumours came about of a sequel, and anticipation rose. I remeber we played Diablo untill late in the night the evening before D2 came out, and a warm summers morning I went down and bought the new game. We played for hours on end, trying to get information from the web, and eventually beating Diablo with a concentrate zealot and a fire sorceress. Then we thought all was good and ready for nightmare, but given our gear and builds, we came absolutely nowhere. The game basically got shelved, and I turned my attention to FPS games once more. My impression by then was that you needed extremly good gear to get the higher areas, but these items would only drop said places, creating a vicious circle. Still it never left my harddisk, and one day I turned my attention a bit closer to diabloii.net. There I came upon the exploits of Kitiaras Frost Zealot, and decided to give it a try. And lo and behold, I beat the game with a Crescent Moon Phase Blade. The power of guides became obvious to me, and shortly thereafter I started a Summon Necro, who got his partriach status as well. A CL/FO sorceress was the next to follow, and the prospect of item running became interesting. Starting on a good Hell Maeph map, I ran for something like one or two evenings before the Arachnid Mesh dropped on me, the most sought item I posses in the world of Sanctuary.

However, I had in my impatience with the game and the release of runewords for general SP consumption aquired a real nasty habit: Rune duping with ATMA. While I really did not care about it in the start, it began to nag me. Especially lately, when I whacked along with a 67 Berserker with an Obidience Great Poleaxe. I was loosing patience with the build, because the only valuable drop would be Hellforge.

So I decided to start over. Everything tainted is moved to a seperate stash for testing concepts, and I have started one of each character type to see how it will go. None have moved beyond Stony Field yet, but I'll take it as it comes.

RL I am a high school teacher, and ride 40 mins in train each morning and afternoon. This is pretty much where most of my playing is done, making act 3 a real pain. Can't always get from one WP to the next in that time. On the other hand, when the students have been a real pain in the back, it feels really nice just to tear a random group of carvers apart ("Now shut up and listen, or heads will roll!!!").

OK, that was a bit lenghty. Everybody who got this far should have a drink on me at EMB.

Oh, and Deaddave: These are for you. /hands DD a pair of very fluffy and soft slippers.

Happy hunting,

-Kanonfutter

IronCrown

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome, you seem to be familiar with everything so enjoy your stay.

When I first restarted D2 (about 7months ago), I had the same problem with runes and easy duping through atma. I installed RWM and made just about every runeword possible. My concious caught up to me as well, and after buying myself a new PC, I started fresh yet again. I then joined this forum and as of this moment my highest rune is a mal (hellforge drop), and I'm playing vanilla, and will possibly go untwinked in the future.

Anyway, welcome yet again.

IC

SiTro

Diabloii.Net Member
*Grumbles about making promises in the bar that he subsequently forgets about and wanders out the house...*

Excuse me, that's just incoherant mutterings.

Welcome to the forums, not only do you seem to know your way round but you've shown as much as well. Head back to the bar, that espresso's waiting!

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
*takes slippers thx for sorting out my sisters x-mas pressnet :D*
welcome to the forum bribing me dosnt stop me kicking your shins mahahahaha

*puts on steel toe-capped boots and kicks kanonfutter shins*

/runNway

Noodle

Welcome, you seem to be familiar with everything so enjoy your stay.

When I first restarted D2 (about 7months ago), I had the same problem with runes and easy duping through atma. I installed RWM and made just about every runeword possible. My concious caught up to me as well, and after buying myself a new PC, I started fresh yet again. I then joined this forum and as of this moment my highest rune is a mal (hellforge drop), and I'm playing vanilla, and will possibly go untwinked in the future.

Anyway, welcome yet again.

IC

You went so far as to buy a new pc? Man, your restarts are thorough!

- Noodle

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome! (I almost missed you with the title, it didn't look like a normal intro) Here's your goodie basket of baked gooness and squid repelant. Don't mind the shin kickers, it's just an attempt to get you stuck in front of your computer posting and playing more. (Though I can sympathize with the Diablo playing post school, though back then I was on the other end. "stupid assignments! *thwack*")

Hmm, I think you about covered it, RL check. Turning away from the Darkside (just make sure that the tainted stashes and charaters remain compleatly seperated and it should be fine) check. Knowledge of stickies, check. You've already found the bar, so just get the GF (she gets to be an EU and join us in the special EU lounge) to join up and you'll be good to go. :wink3:

TheFaceless

Diabloii.Net Member
hehe.
Boy, it would be wierd if I saw one of my teachers playing D2. I don't know if I'd say that I played also or not. =P

Welcome to the SPF!

kanonfutter

Diabloii.Net Member
Some of my students know that I play, as they were quick to recognize the icon in the quicklaunch bar. However, they are either CS or WoW players, and only a very few has played D2 beyond normal before loosing interest. My pats/mats did give my a little cred, though.

Regarding Pindle, I dont beg. I put up criteria, and if it does not live up to that, it fails.

Pindle got an 'F'.

drsquid

Diabloii.Net Member
The whole 'duping' issue on 1.09/1.10 b.net along with spambots, hexes, hacks, cheaters, bots, cubes & hipsters were the reason I gave up b.net and went back to my version 1.07 diablo disk that I bought for $9USD. Now I just play ver 1.07 sp. Sometimes a friend and I will get together and play a tcp/ip game, but thats about it.

Spearthrower

Diabloii.Net Member
Another teacher here who plays D2! ;)

Welcome. Welcome!

May spears never pierce your innards!

Spearthrower
Thrower of Spears