Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A-Rod heading to the Yankees?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Raft Boy, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Raft Boy

Raft Boy IncGamers Member

A-Rod heading to the Yankees?

Source

So it looks like A-Rod is a Selig signature away from playing for the New York Yankees. This would make it four players (4!) that the Yankees have with a $100 million dollar contract. Their payroll would exceed $200 million for the 2004 season. This doesn't include the luxury tax that they would have to pay either. For comparison, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays have a payroll in the $35 million dollar range.

All I have to say is, good-bye baseball. Watching the same handful of teams make the playoffs over and over again is not my idea of fun. And then watching these same teams spend huge amounts of money to one-up each other while the rest of the league cries poverty seems stupid to me.

Good luck MLB, it looks like you'll need it. :bow:

-Rafty

2. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

I'm actually happy about this season. The astros finally have thier chance. (which they will blow, of course, being Houston). Who cares, let New York be the Yankees... the biggest city in USA.

3. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

i dont see why they have him.

4. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Go Cubbies?

5. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Whatever, they just bought a-rod to slap the red sox in the face. They have no pitching, our sox have the best pitching rotation in the majors, and a team that had the highest slugging percentage EVER last season.

We will kill the yankees in the face.

6. piff

piff IncGamers Member

And then baseball will go to hell.

Here's one plus: Ex-Yankee Rauol Mondesi went to the Pittsburgh Pirates. It's a small plus, but a plus nonetheless.

7. cougar

cougar IncGamers Member

yeah.. this is just getting out of hand. The MLB and the NBA could take a lesson from the NFL i think.

8. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

No, I think the 'stro's new pitching line will kill YOU in the face!!!

9. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

[/flame]
    I HOPE ALL THE YANKEES BURN AND DIE!!!!!! BEING AN ATLANTA BRAVES FAN THEY SCREWED US OUT OF TOO MANY WORLD SERIES!!!! (more like we can't win a single post season game...) BUT THE BO SOX!!!!!! THE FRIGGIN BO SOX!!!!! WERE SUPPOSED TO GET A-ROD NOT THE SKANKEES!!!!!! SO THAT WAY THE BO SOX WOULD HAVE THE BEST EVERY DAY PLAYER TO COMPETE WITH THE SKANKEES 2ND 3RD 4TH 5TH 6TH....12TH....24TH AND 25TH BEST EVERY DAY PLAYERS!!!!!!!!! BASEBALL GIVE ME A SALARY CAP NOW, SO THE SKANKEES WILL STOP BUYING ANYTHING THAT CAN THROW A BASEBALL!!!!
    [/flame]

hope that justly voices my opinion.

10. toader

toader Banned

I havent read the article yet so maybe it explains in there....but where is Derrick Jeter going....or do the Yankees need 2 allstar shortstops?

edit:

They are moving a 99% efficient shortstop (ARod) to 3rd base....makes sense :lol:

11. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

toader, I think it's a good move for A-Rod to go to 3rd. Jeter is just a pathetic fielder whereever he is. I'd rather put my defensive strength at 3rd than shortstop. A-Rod would certainly be better individually at short, but their infield is stronger with Jeter where he is.

nnndave - the 'Stros do look good. I think their best move of the off-season was getting rid of Blum, so that Ensberg is guaranteed a spot everyday. He's fantastic.

Isn't Biggio 84 years old yet?

Oh, and everyone sign up for the fantasy league. I started a new thread on it.

12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Good thing you're not a manager, Munch :D Rodriguez is a much better fielder than Jeter, like you said, but you want your best fielder in the hole at short. Jeter won't play 3B though. Man, Torre is gonna have his hands full with that clubhouse.

Most teams like to be strong up the middle with respect to defense, 2B, SS, CF, maybe the catcher. Put the strong arm in right field for the long throw to third. 3B needs to be able to react quickly, not necessarily having great range. That leaves LF, 1B, for the power guys who can't field as well.

It'll be interesting to see the AL East this summer. I don't see many holes in the Yankee lineup. Suggestive Name claimed the Yankees have no pitching. Can you name any of the Yankee pitchers from the days of Murderer's Row?

The AL West will be the best division for the third year in a row. The Angels made some significant upgrades, the A's have a killer fron 3 and Seattle just rules (I'm not biased or anything). Another rebuilding year for Texas.

The NL Central will be interesting with Houston's staff looking almost as good as the Cubbies. Problem there is that both teams play in hitter-friendly parks. Edge to the Cubbies, but watch for Saint Louis to sneak in.

As for the other divisions: Phillies in the East, they almost made the playoffs last year despite the efforts of Pat ".190" Burrell. AL Central and NL West: don't care.

Then again, there is a reason why they play 162 games. Pitchers and catchers report tomorrow! I am a baseball junkie.

13. toader

toader Banned

I disagree 100%.

As a basball team, you want to be strong up the middle as they say.

Your strongest defenders should be:

Catcher
    2B
    SS
    Middle Field
    and obviously Pitcher

14. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Yeah, that Javier Vazquez is just terrible... Mussina? Terrible. Kevin Brown? Pathetic. Contreras? No talent. And that bullpen is just horrendous with Rivera closing...

macool/toader: I concede!

15. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Ok, I concede, the yankees are and always will be better than the red sox. In fact, we should just send the red sox to the minor leagues right now. Actually, no, lets just get rid of them all together.

16. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Eh, I don't like the Yankees at all either, don't get me wrong, but the Red Sox aren't exactly angels when it comes to the whole "buying a championship" thing. You just can't finish it off. :)

The only baseball teams that impress me anymore are the teams that make one or two big signings, but build the rest of their strength off of their farm system rather than their payroll. The Minnesota Twins, Florida Marlins and Chicago Cubs all get my respect. I root for the Red Sox over the Yankees, but they don't impress me with how they team build in the least.

17. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Mulder, Zito and Hudson are the best pitching rotation in baseball! A's represent!!

I think baseball should have a salary cap.

18. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Maybe top 3, but the Cubbies had an absolute monster in Wood, Prior, Zombrano, and Clement. I would say possibly the strongest 4 in baseball, and all done via farm systems.

19. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

mulder, hudson and zito are all from the farm.

20. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Being a Rangers fan this trade was a total shock and we are the laughing stock of Mlb . And the fact that our owner TOM DUmbAzz Hicks tries to buy a player for 252 million then folds his cards after they suck and he loses money for 3 straight years . The spin control was really hilarious today during their hour long press conference . Hicks tried to say that the Yankees made 3 offers to him and they were not close . Reality - they called - he asked them what they wanted to get Arod out of Texas . And get this quote from Hicks - "We will be a better team this year" ... LOL what a Moron .. they will be a last place team for the 4th year in a row because they will field a spring training team for 168 days this year . I can buy the saving the 120 million - ok that makes sense , but for Arod I would need 1 - 2 players and a top prospect before I even consider the trade . Hicks just wanted rid of Arod so bad - money reasons - that he gets Soriano and player to be named later . Soriano for Arod - wow what a deal . LOL -what scam by Big George . Ill have to give The Yankees credit , they saw their opportunity and took it . Hicks is a moron when it comes to baseball negotiations and this trade proves it . Good luck Yankees and your next 10 championships ...

Pissed off in Arlington !!! :rant: