Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A revolution in the construction industry could put thousands out of work

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

A revolution in the construction industry could put thousands out of work

I have come up with what I believe will be a revolutionary advancement in the construction industry. It will allow for the walls to be framed faster with everything plumb, straight & level every time. Provided that this is a viable invention and I can market it, this will mean there will be countless thousands of carpenters put out of work. They will be replaced by unskilled, minimum wage laborers. Knowing the industry, those laborers will primarily be immigrants. They won't even have to be able to speak English to be able to do the work. Productivity will increase, the finished product will be better, and it will cost less. But at the price of tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of well paying jobs.

For obvious reasons I won't speak of what this idea is. There is no need to break basic security protocols and blab what it is. You never know when somebody could steal an idea.

This is no joke. I really do have this invention sitting in my head, just waiting to be put on paper and ultimately, put into production. So what do you think of this? I'm sure many of you are appalled by the idea that somebody you know is willing to put thousands of people out of work for his own profit.

2. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Capitalism sucks, but hey, it certainly is at work here.

3. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Yes, but how much cheaper will housing become? If your invention, or new process is a great as you claim, it would trim thousands of dollars off the cost of construction. A boon to the consumer I say. :thumbsup:

4. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Not flaming or trolling, but why did you post this thread? Are you having moral qualms about making money off this? Gloating that you are going to soon become very rich? Just letting us know of your future success?

If the first, Social darwinism. If the second, you suck for being smart, if the last, congratulations.

5. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

You might know of the game of capitalism, but you sure dont know how to play it. Whose gonna buy a product presented in such a way? you have to fudge the job loss factor and focus on the low cost of housing or the better construction qualities. I thought that that was what conservatives did best :p

6. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

I doubt it would work, whatever it is, as many new methods have been tried, but the old methods go faster and cost less. Many methods claim to be cheaper and faster, but in the end, they are not.

7. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

If all the inventors worried about putting workers out of business then nothing would be invented.

8. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Figure it takes a three man crew a work week to frame a simple house. 10 hours a day.
    A foreman making $18 an hour
    Two carpenters making $12 an hour
    Total labor = $2,100

My way takes a three man crew only two days to do the same. 8 hours a day.
    A carpenter making $12 an hour
    Two laborers making $6.50 an hour
    Total labor = $400
    A savings in labor alone of $1,700 per house.

Then take into account the time saved. Figuring it takes 60 days to build the simple house, those three days can quickly add up. Another house for every 20 homes built. A profit of $10,000 a house. You can see where I'm going with this.

Then because everything is plumb, straight & level every time, you can eliminate all the hassles of installing cabinets, trim, tile, etc. That means less time & hassle for the subcontractors. That results in lower bids and higher profits for the builder. The builder could even pass the savings along and get a reputation for selling better homes for less.

On a simple three bedroom, 1 1/2 bath ranch house, I can easily forsee the home price being lower by $2,000. And the builder making an additional $1,500 profit per house. On a more complex house like what is commonly built here locally, you can easily triple the numbers involved.

And on my end, I have some very early and highly preliminary numbers of my own profits. I believe there is a market for 50,000 of these units in the US alone. With me making a profit of up to $20-30 thousand each. Not bad at all. :D And I might add, this is just the standard stick framed residentail market. The commercial market I haven't even begun to explore.

I'm just interested in the opinions of everybody here. I have no qualms over making money like this. It'll ensure that when I design a building in my usual job, I will know they can actually build it right. But no gloating. I'll do that after I start making money off this. :D

The guys that will buy it are every single builder I know that can afford one. Faster, cheaper & better? Hell yeah they'll take it. The social cost to them, as well as myself, are irrelevant. I talked about it to stir things up a bit.

Pessimism still reigns supreme! I'm taking the usual method of framing and making it go faster and better with absolutely no thought by the laborers. The only one that has to think is the carpenter and the computer does most of that for him as well. Mistakes in framing are eliminated and you go faster. What is there not to love about this?

In case you didn't already know, I'm an architect. I'm very familiar with the many ways framers can screw up and all the problems that stem from it. This will eliminate all those problems. And subsequently allow me to not have to factor in the usual framing screwups.

9. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

If I know my patents--and since I have a couple of my own, I think I do--anything like this one which can put a lot of people out of work, most particularly union workers, will be bought out by someone and put on a shelf somewhere.

10. Freemason

Freemason Banned

MV, you're mistaken on this one. I have no intention to sell the rights. Even under the pressure the unions can bring to bear. SOS Temps back east has exactly the kind of resources to take care of that kind of problem. I already have their number. I've already thought about that.

11. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

consider what that'd do to say.. a family such as mine. my mom is unable to work due to medical reasons, and my step-father works 6-7 days a week doing various construction work, but hey, i'd love for something like this to put him out of a job just someone can make more money that they most likely aren't too desperate for :thumbsup:

12. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Good you've already thought about it, but you'd best research it, too. Are you going to front the money for patenting this yourself? There are lawyers and research costs to consider. If you go anywhere for funding, they are going to want a piece of the pie. Do you intend to start your own company marketing this product, or method?
    All I'm saying is, it is a bit more complex and expensive than you probably know. And there are companies out there waiting to buy up things like this just so they can extort money, legally of course, by keeping the idea off the streets. Hostile takeovers are a dime a dozen now, and most small business-persons are helpless to prevent a serious attack.
    However, in my own case, I have a signed agreement with the company I work for which basically states that any ideas I have belong to them. I get recognition for the invention and my own name on the patent, but not much else. In your case it will be different.
    Get a good lawyer and really have all the ramifications of this looked into before you step out into the sharkfest.

13. Freemason

Freemason Banned

What he'd have to do it make sure he's the best qualified person to be the sole carpenter. Or he will have to get retrained in another field.

It'd tough I know, but think about how many jobs are eliminated in a dynamic capitalist world. The buggy industry was devestated in the early 1900's. The train industry was hammered by the trucking industry. The auto industry was forever changed by the introduction of robots. You have to be able to adapt to ever-changing technologoies or be left behind.

I'm not trying to put people out of business on purpose. It's just what always happens when you improve productivity and reduce costs at the same time. My own job could very easily be eliminated forever if the CADD industry ever gets it's act together. They are slowly evolving towards the day when everything in a building is designed as a whole by a single architect. The electrical, plumbing & HVAC engineers may also be eliminated as the programs become more advanced. So I have to keep abreast of what the newest evolution is and adapt to it or be crushed by those that do.

Already thought of. I have a leg up on all of this because I have a friend that is currently developing her own invention. She's come up with some sort of portable communication device. Beats me what it is, other than it just might replace cell phones.

[Do you intend to start your own company marketing this product, or method?
    All I'm saying is, it is a bit more complex and expensive than you probably know. And there are companies out there waiting to buy up things like this just so they can extort money, legally of course, by keeping the idea off the streets. Hostile takeovers are a dime a dozen now, and most small business-persons are helpless to prevent a serious attack.[/quote]
    Again, I have the edge needed. My old man has a degree in economics and is one hell of a businessman. Why he chooses not to use it anymore is beyond me. :scratch:

Other than talking about it here, absolutely nothing has been done on company time. All the drawings will be done on my own computer with my own drafting program. I'll most likely use the same lawyer as my friend is using. He's been a patent attorney for nearly 20 years with an unblemished track record.

14. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

fine, release it. it will take time to catch on and carpenters do more than just build new homes. go for it. unles this thread is all just some dumb lie trying to make some strange point that

LIBERALS WANT TO SLOW PROGRESS!!!!11!1

EDIT: also, this is the lamest april fools ever

15. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You mean they don't?

EDIT: I mean that in context.

16. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Okay...

Personally Smeg, I say go for it! Lets be honest, I think that pretty much all of us would love to have a idea that changes business on such a drastic scale, no matter the potential damage it may have to the employment industry.

I have a question though. What you seem to be allouding to is simply a form of pre-fab housing based on modern CAD/CAM techniques, hardly revolutionary and has, I am pretty sure, been attempted before. However that is by-the-by. I am wondering if you can actually patent a business process, rather than a design? I am trying to think of an analogy, and failing, but I hope you see what I mean.

Whatever, I think it may be a little more complex than you give it credit for being, but good luck in your plans for exponentially increasing wealth :worship:

17. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Nope, it's not a lie, nor a joke.

I also don't think it'd take too long to get everybody's attention for this either. Over 100,000 people attended the home show in Vegas this year. Just about every single player in the constuction field was there. A demo there means everybody knows about it.

What would take the most time is the actual production of the unit. Each would take about a week to construct. I'd have to design & build my own factory. Then get staffed with the right manufacturing people. And run a bunch of assembly lines just to keep up. Like I said, it's all been thought of already.

All you need to do is find a niche in the market and fill it. Or find a say to improve on an idea. Concentrate on your own industry and what bugs you.

Close, but not quite. :evil:

What I have is a design so it can be patented. I'll most likely end up with as many as 20 patents when it's all done. It's not just one piece of equipment.

That's the beauty of it. It is so simple I wonder why it's never been done before. And best of all, it's portable :clap:

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You know it is really just giant legos don't you?

Seriously if this is a real thread I say go for it, if your idea works and the one I am working on works then we can give dii.net more money then they ever dreamed of.

19. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

This ranks right up there with your kelpbeds into paper idea. Go for it.

20. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Um, mac. I believe I already know how to make that one work. But first I want to prove myself as a successful businessman and inventor before tackeling such a massive proposition.

If this works I'll buy the damned site and the OTF can live forever. :thumbsup: