Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Random Act of Kindness

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by YonderGirl, Feb 17, 2004.

1. YonderGirl

YonderGirl IncGamers Member

A Random Act of Kindness

My first post...but had to after last night. I'm currently playing a level 48 werebear...with not too much in the way of decent gear yet.

I was in the bnet channel on my way out, when I rec'd private message from a Bling_Revenge (Freax) asking if I had an Aldurs. I replied back..sorry, no.

He told me to go to a private game for Aldurs. I replied I had nothing to trade. He told me to come to game ...that the Aldurs was free.

I was frankly afraid,...(heard all the stories of how people take your items)...but I went into the game anyway. There stood a lvl 90 zon.

He had the Aldurs laying on the ground along with another nice druid helm and the orphans shield.

He told me to take them. I asked why he was doing this. His reply will stay with me a long time.

"The only thing I ask is that you do the same for someone else..and ask them to pass it on...and maybe we can keep this a good game with good people. Have fun! "

I thanked him and told him I really appreciated his kindness..and he left while I stood there dumbfounded.

He (or she) has restored my faith in this game and the good people in it. I just wanted to share this with everyone. ....and Freax, if you read this, you can be sure that I will pass on your goodwill to others. :)

2. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

I have done stuff like this for a lot of people. What I usually do is when I have some good stuff that I'm not using, I ask everyone on my friends list if they want it. If no one does, then I put it on a low lvl mule and join an "Act 1 starting" game or something like that. I party up and quest for a little while, and then I usually ask if someone can give me a couple of thousand gold so I can buy a little better equiptment, many people say go to hell noob! and stuff like that, but sometimes a guy will come to town and nicely help me out. When he does I give him all the equiptment. I usually say, Thanks for being nice enough to help someone new to the game, and I make sure the all the others hear about the stuff I've given to the one nice guy. I make sure not to sound like I'm begging though, cause I hate beggers too, But I just ask very nicely for a little bit of gold to buy a little bit better equiptment.

3. Xecras

Xecras IncGamers Member

Awesome story. I joined a Baal run a few days ago with my Sorc, only one guy in it. A pally, Paladin Guy (or something like that). Instead of just saying "Hi' inviting me, and then we silently play, we talked throughout the game. Even he agrees that Bnet is filled with morons. I rarely see people like him on Bnet.

I'll be sure to do this. Maybe I got some un-sold class-items... ah yes, my Ward shield!

4. Bonesman

Bonesman IncGamers Member

I had Sigon's armor once and I had some guy ask me if I wanted to trade for it. He showed me a pile of junk and I said no thanks. He of course got bummed out, until I just dropped it on the ground and said take it I don't need it, then I asked what he was using for a sword, he was using nothing great, so I gave him a decent sword, the Crainte Vomtre (or whatever it's called). Now he found someone he can trust on there, and it established in him that not everyone out there sucks and is a jerk and looking out for only themselves. So now, he's going to see people doing good stuff like this, and he's going to turn around and do the same for someone else new to the game. That's why I do it.

5. D'Shay

D'Shay IncGamers Member

yah there are some of us out there, and we need more of us to be nice and play together :)

good story, and good luck!

6. Vladicus

Vladicus IncGamers Member

I traded a level 72 zealadin a Bstar I found on my last Hell Meph run for an El rune and 500 gold.

7. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

I spend much of my time doing magic find runs. I always find something. The problem is it's usually not what I'm looking for. I hate to save stuff I'm not going to use and I really hate selling it.

I usually scan the low level games and walk in with my high level character. I know what they're thinking and I can tell they are cautious. So I drop the stuff on the ground and wish them luck ... then I leave.

It's just so sad that more people don't write about the good stuff that goes on in the realms. Too much has been written about Pkers, cheaters and hackers.

Thanks for the good post!

Masa

8. squigipapa

So I just joined an act 1 beginning game and gave the guy starting a new character a spirit shroud, and just said .. return the favor to someone sometime .. his reply was .. I do it all the time.. it makes this place a better place to play .. :) .. maybe if more of us do it regularly .. and we catch people when they're new to the game we can slowly change thigs for the better.. it's a nice thought.. :)

9. CookiesnCream

CookiesnCream IncGamers Member

Yah, I like to drop low lvl stuff for newbs too. But the thing is, everyone comes in the game and asks for a free rush. But some people don't even say "thank you" or they say "It was only an isenharts/sigons".

10. RandomInsanity

RandomInsanity IncGamers Member

yeah someone gave me some stuff once, so i gave the stuff i was using before then to someone else, and made a new friend. That's always cool.

11. Xecras

Xecras IncGamers Member

That was great. I joined and Act 1 game with a lvl 6 Sorc and lvl 3 Druid in it. I told them that I was inspired and I was offering my superuniques free (except for my precious BloodRise and Demon limb). I gave the Druid my Ward shield, he couldn't use it yet, but he would save it for later. His immediate response was:

"tytytyty"

The sorc didn't accept anything (but he was still really nice), so I gave him catacomb wp, guided them through the catas, earning them xp and items, killed Andy for them and made them take all of the drops.

'Twas great.

12. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

I rarely do this anymore.

All i hear is gimeee gimmeee gimeee

Usually no thanks at end.

I hate when people beg for items... I have little pity for them. If someone begs in forum ill try to help them out as much as i can but on bnet i just leave all items i was goign to give away to charsi ^_^

13. th5418

th5418 Banned

Sma ehere Dracoy. I make a game called "Free items" and everyones comes in and says
    "ME ME ME"
    "I WANT ITAM I WANT ITAM!"
    "WHERE ITAM WHERE ITAM!"
    "YOU BETTER GIVE ITAM TO ME OR ILL HACK YOU THROUGH THE INTARWEB!"

14. squigipapa

See though, that's where I make the decision, I never give to someone who begs .. pp, pp ,pp or plz plz plz .. i need free, i need free... I give to people who are trying to play the game and not begging for free's .. I never join the "free stuff" or "I need frees" games .. I always join the act 1 start games or .. act 1 q whatever games.. there's more likely to be people who are actually playing and questing there..

15. YonderGirl

YonderGirl IncGamers Member

It is sad but true that there are many beggers in the game. I see them a lot before I go into a game....but please all you nice folks, don't let them spoil your goodness and kindness to the rest of us. We really really do appreciate everything you do for us. Perhaps they are still very young and somewhat spoiled and don't really know the meaning of working for something. They don't realize the way they play the game reflects the way they live their life, and usually their age.

I can honestly tell you there are lots and lots of us playing that are doing our best to play with honor .....not to beg for uber items or to be rushed to god knows where. We aren't "grabbers" when items fall, etc.

I play the game for it's pure enjoyment...and now I am meeting some very nice folks along the way. Please don't let the few ungratefuls harden your heart. Whenever something nice is given to any of us..we are always so proud and thankful..and show it to each other...and share if we can.

In a nutshell, we need wonderful people like you.

16. conan

conan IncGamers Member

I was in a baal run last month and this poor sorc was having a tough time, I got to talking to her after the run and asked her what she used, it was all rares and 4x p topaz armor, stuff like that, I asked her if she wanted some better stuff and she said she couldnt afford anything yet. I had her make a new game and i brought in mule after mule. I was shocked to see all the stuff I have been hoarding, and had a blast setting her sorc up with the best stuff i could find (P topaz Shako, Tals Armor, ammy Belt, SS, Ist occy Upped Magefists some travs and sojs and some cold and fire charms and an annihilus) had to give her some str charms untill she leveled up a bit but she had a nice setup. She was following a guide I believe so she had her skills pretty well mapped out, and i wished her good luck.
    We messaged each other a few times and did some baal runs together and one day i meet her in a baal run and she gives me a Vex, saying that it was her first high rune drop, and wanted me to have it, I told her i have quite a few good runes but she insists, saying, i cant forget how much fun you made this game for me. She now has a group of friends and is doing quite well.

Sometimes this game isnt a jerk filled wasteland of scammers and foul mouthed punks, sometimes its just ppl having fun=)

17. Xecras

Xecras IncGamers Member

That was awesome story Conan. I'd gladly give more items, but I'm running out of uniques...

18. Voldemort

Voldemort IncGamers Member

I have lent my friends items until they could find something better Skulders Doombringer and a Stormspire to help them out

19. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I have borrowed from friends Skullders, Doombringer, Wolfhowl, Stormspire, Etc., lent things out to friends, and done some giveaways as well.

20. Voldemort

Voldemort IncGamers Member

LOL can you help me mule tonight if you are online?