Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A question...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gavin Farewell, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Gavin Farewell

Gavin Farewell IncGamers Member

A question...

I couldn't find anywhere else on the web to post this. It's amazing how hard it is to find certain sorts of information. Mostly, this is legal information. =\

Anyway, as many of you are aware of, there are several games out there that use the AD&D or D&D 3rd Edition core rules, and other games that actually take place in Forgotten Realms.

I'm planning on starting a small company between friends, producing great games. However, a few questions came up. If we used the core rules, just the rule engine (armor class, to-hit, etc), would that be illegal? And if so, how do I go about getting permission from whoever I have to get permission from? And who do I have to get permission from?

2. tintrail

tintrail IncGamers Member

not having ever played the games you mention, i don't know if this is the correct answer but, it seems to me that if you need permission to use some aspect of the game, then you would need to get in touch with the developer of the game. maybe try calling up their customer service and getting an answer from them.

hope this helps.

3. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

4. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

You would have to seek approval from whoever holds the patent on D&D (Wizards of the coast?) and they'll probably want a one time fee and a royalty on each product you sell.

5. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You can use the terms without any trouble. To make your game different, use a different die roll concept. 1st Edition D&D used everything. From what I've been told 3.5 used the d20. Games like Shadowrun use way too many d6.

If you're willing to share you ideas for plotlines for modules, feel free to share them. There's a decent number of nerds I mean gamers in here. Myself, I've been playing D&D off and on since 1981.

Hell, I've been working on a LOTR inspired D&D module for close to two years now. Its for experienced gamers only. You start at 0 level and develop your character as you try to survive.

6. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

there is something that Wizards did called the Open Gaming License (or something similar) that makes certain really basic things open for people to use in the making of RPGs check around the website I posted or ask at the boards, they'll know