Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A question to female gamers: how did you get into gaming?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by mouseman, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

A question to female gamers: how did you get into gaming?

And why do I ask? I want to play Diablo 3 with my wife when it comes out :)

I think there are many guys in my position and, who knows, maybe some girls, too. So this thread is all about sharing those tips for getting an important person all excited of something that's important for you. Hopefully we can get some stories about succesfully shared excitement also :)

First, let me present my case :) I'm not a hardcore gamer, I just play a couple hours a week, tops. Most of the time I don't play anything. I know I want to play Diablo 3 at least some time when it comes out, preferably with that special someone.

We've played all kinds of games together, like age of empires, and she likes sims, dreamfall and all kinds of fun games. Being a RPG fan, I might've pushed her too much, so she really don't like RPG games, which kind of bums me out.

We've tried WoW, which didn't spark anything in either of us. We have beaten D2:LoD in a LAN party which we went together, but since some of the guys were such a pro gamers, there were no time to comprehend what we were doing. We also played Titan Quest full through but after a promising start it got really repetitive. After this all RPG's are seen as a repetitive click-fest with no point at all. Maybe she's just smarter than me (which she totally is) but I still have this small child in me which screams 'YAY' everytime I find a nice item and it feels sad that I can't spark that feeling in her at all.

I'm more than okay with playing casual games with her and it's not like I require anything out of her. She's totally awesome for trying dozens of games and wanting to play them with me. When I told that D3 is coming she assumpted that I want to reserve a week to throw a LAN party to my friends. That's great and all, but I really want to share that week with her, instead.

I know from experience that you can't force anyone to like something. When you do that, it backfires and you end up being further in your goal. So after noticing a lot of female gamers here on the forum I thought that maybe I could ask about your stories and how you got into gaming? Want to share some tips or give us the female perspective? :)

EDIT:
    1) What was the first game you played?
    2) How old you were then and how old you are now?
    3) Did you discover gaming alone or did someone introduce you?
    4) How many hours you play in a week?
    5) What's the best thing about games? Why do you play?
    6) Favorite gaming genre?
    7) Are you male or female?
    8) Do you have problems at home because computer games?
    9) Best game ever?
    10) Best gaming memory ever? Does it include other people?

You can answer only to some of the questions if you don't want to share that much information on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  2. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

Re: A question to female gamers: how did you get into gaming?

Sounds like she already plays more with you than any of my girlfriends have. I would say count yourself lucky :)

Only game my current girlfriend will play with me is Scrabble :p

3. MrKaxe

MrKaxe IncGamers Site Pal

That is awesome dude, I conned a few girls into playing d2 in the past, but only while they were waiting for me or something, never with me, which was a shame...I say fair play to your missus for trying!

4. Ghosted

Ghosted IncGamers Member

Scrabble? Damn, consider yourself lucky. Only game she'll play with me is uno... :(
    I wish she'd at least play scrabble...or Sorry...even Candy Land dammit!

5. sicilian

Haha, the problem is, playing Scrabble against her is no challenge... not because I'm smarter, or have a better vocabulary, or anything like that (in fact, I'd argue her mastery of words beats me hands down), but she flat out REFUSES to play strategically. She doesn't block the triple word squares (or even play them most times). She wants to make what she considers the "best" word, even if it's for fewer points :D

6. biggitio

biggitio IncGamers Member

When I met my fiancee, she hadn't played a video game since she was around the age of ten. Which, obviously, caused a few problems since I am what most people would consider a hardcore gamer. :)

As funny as it may seem, I used Wii Sports as a kind of jumping off point. From there, she dug into Super Mario Galaxy and a few other Wii games. And that is where we are sitting right now, though I think I may have been able to sway her a bit into other sorts of games while I was replaying Final Fantasy Tactics a month ago. Maybe it's just her bossy ways, but she sure had an opinion on how I should proceed in a few fights ;)

Unfortunately, I think I may have taken a step back when my alarm clock woke her up at 4am the other morning so I could watch the live stream of the WWI opening ceremony :)

7. mouseman

You evil scrabble-progamer ;)

The focus of the thread doesn't mean that male gamers couldn't tell how they got into the gaming in the first place. Maybe we can find some similarities/different viewpoints?

8. Ghosted

Ghosted IncGamers Member

As far as console gaming goes...she only plays Tetris on my modded psp. I can't get her to play WII sports even if hell froze over.

The only computer game she plays is solitaire, but damn she can beat that thing in less than 60 seconds(of course not every time). You know that timer on the bottom? I've seen her beat it in less than sixty seconds a few times. I mean, I've tried to beat that thing and I swear I can't get below 90 or 80! If she can do that I'm sure she'd kick but at other games but why??? why??? why won't she play!!!!????

I also need a way to convince her between now and the time D3 comes out! Please someone tell us how!....

9. sicilian

Find a really attractive girl, and pay her for a few days to come over as your "new gamer friend" and play with you. Your gf will be battling demons with you faster than you can say "insane jealousy" :D

10. Ghosted

Ghosted IncGamers Member

I don't really think I can do that...My g/f is actually my fiance and we just had a kid, so if i do that I think she might just leave me, lol. Although...I would have time to play diablo from now on...lol

11. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

The Scrabble Connection

I am male, but this relates to the issue at hand. Women are generally superior in some ways to men, and vice veca. It is a nice fluffy thought to believe we are all equal at everything; however the science tells a different story. For example, when it comes to math, women perform better at the actual calculations (addition, subtration, multiplication and division) whereas men get more of these calculations wrong, but are better at comprehension of math rules and application of rules in novel contexts. Regarding visuospatial tasks, men are typically better at block rotaion tasks whereas women are better at locating important landmarks on a map.

So my point is that it will be up to the game designers to implicate in-game tasks that appeal to women's strengths. As of now, games cater to male players. There are experience and loot rewards for acts of aggression needless to say. Women perhaps enjoy scrabble more becasue it involves mastery of words. Have you ever noticed the sheer percentage of young women walking around talking on cell phones continuously? They can't stop. They're addicted to communication it seems. I wonder if the cell phone will become so small that they get implanted into the girl's temperal cortex, and they just talk to it all day and it can even throw out a question once in a while with some AI. If D3 has some more dialogue related tasks, then more women will play. These tasks would have to reach the complexity of ripping apart zombies though. There would have to be a whole skill tree just for talking, and I don't see this happening.

12. toadyone

toadyone IncGamers Member

well personally I find this topic quite hilarious ahem... but I think there are actually alot more female gamers out there than people belive (I myself being one of them).

To quite a large extent I think that girls play for the same reasons as guys, but I might just be wrong, since i've nerver quite talked with anyone about this, real-life talking isn't one of my strenghts i must say. I got into gaming at first because my older brother and our cousin played. The first real special game i played was Red alert 2 I think, which was when i was 9 or something. Then a few years later i played Diablo 2. Then I played Star wars jedi knight 2 without every seeing a starwars movie, mainly because my brother did and because Yoda looked so cute.

I continued playing Diablo 2 and JK 2 and it became a way to get away from real life. I was bullied for a long time in school, and fantasy games online was away to get away and be me as i wanted to be. This had the effect that I had almost only guy friends, because girls thought that I was very wierd. Most people that I met on the net never knew I was a girl ofcourse. That came when I had played for about 5 years, because it was easier to be treated as one of the gang if people didn't know.

Now I play mostly RPGs because I like story based games, but I have nothing against hacking some fallens in a camp...

thats my cents to the discussion

*My first post in these forums by the way

13. mouseman

Great input there!

It's really a shame that a girl can't play and be "normal". I don't get what's wrong with that. And when I was younger, there was nothing better than a girl playing computer games. So if a girl wants to be instantly popular with boys, just pick a game to play :) Maybe the other girls are jealous?

But I don't think social pressure applies that much why girls couldn't play after high school/turning like 20. I think games are designed for males rather than females, like someone said. Desperate housewives: the game was a huge hit around here, I actually hoped she would stop playing it constantly :) But how to build from that to Diablo 3? I just think there is so much more to experience in the constantly growing world of computer games. And I want to experience those things with her. It's not that serious, but would be nice :) So, tips?

14. sicilian

Welcome Toadyone, and thanks for the input!

I'm not sure why exactly there are fewer girl gamers, but I think it's because men tend to be more action oriented. We want to be doing something, causing something, affecting something. That's why we get more passionate about sports on average, because we get angry that we can't help our team succeed.

I think more women are playing these days, because there has been an increased emphasis on story telling and production value. A lot of games are so well developed that they're like interactive movies, so it appeals to women a lot more.

Disclaimer, all of these statements are admittedly sweeping generalizations. There are always exceptions. In fact, I did have one girlfriend who played games with me all the time, but the ones she liked the best were adventure games, usually N64 or Game Cube at the time we were dating.

It was funny, because she was so good at those games (Zelda, Metroid Prime, Super Smash, Mario Kart), but I only got her to play Diablo once... she couldn't figure out how to kill things, and when she finally did she couldn't figure out why the Fallen kept coming back to life. She died in the Den of Evil and never played again. It was like she went from hardcore gamer to super noob from one game to the next :D

15. phool

phool IncGamers Member

Lots of girls I know are casual gamers who will enjoy some Halo or CoD 4. With guys and girls hanging out in a room with an xbox and a few controllers it's no time before the girls give the games a spin.

16. Evasive

Evasive IncGamers Member

I don't understand the misconceptions about women and computer games, I know plenty that play on the PC/Xbox/PS

The thing I notice though from my male and female friends is that men are more likely to play any type of game, whereas women like to play only certain games that they like the look of. My partner watches me play my Xbox games, and if she likes the look of any of them she will just give them a go. She won't play all of them, just the one or two that she has decided she wants to.

17. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I suspect you aren't even going to *know* many of the female gamers out there.

If they have any sense, they just won't tell you. You don't need to know, it shouldn't make a difference and it has zero relevency to how the game is played or their ability.

So really, the question isn't how to get female gamers interested, but how to get gamers interested. It's like any interest; someone will be interested or not. Gender isn't really that relevent.

18. Dimmu

Dimmu IncGamers Member

I actually told my girlfriend i probably won't see her for at least a week when d3 comes out unless she plays lol. And she understands kind of because she's seen my d2 addiction and makes fun of me. So she said she would try to play although that may be just to humor me. She plays the sims and stuff but absolutely hates violent games, but i'm thinking that since 2 of my very best friends (who have become like brothers to my girlfirend) play d2 about as much as i have and will be playing ALOT of d3 with me, she'll actually be able to tolerate the game because of connection she can have with people she actually knows. I think communication is the key, because girls for the most part don't find mindless violence to be very entertaining.

19. Sequitur

Sequitur IncGamers Member

Females play computer games?

*kidding, don't hit me*

ooo, 50 Posts. Hip Hip Hoozah! Hip Hip Hurrah!

20. phool

phool IncGamers Member

The same goes the other way around; most girls you know won't go out of their way to tell you they're gamers.

gratz