A question regarding multi player on SP

Conanbarbarian

Diabloii.Net Member
A question regarding multi player on SP

Hi guys,

I've been off the forum for a while as my time has been taken up via other activitys
and I've had a break from DII for a while.

Needles to say I'm back in action with the intent of seeing how far and how fun it will
be playing DII with solely self found items.

Any how back to the matter at hand reading some posts I've notice people mention doing
runs at 8/player setting.

My question is - is it possible to play DII on my computer with the settings of an 8
player game even though im the only one playing it?

If so what advantages will this present me with?

Higher drop rate for uniques etc?

Thanks in advance and its....

GOOD TO BE BACK! :laugh:

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
Firstly, welcome back! I'm sure you know where the stickies, the EMB, and etcetera are, if not, then you're in for a surprise...

From my understanding, the /players x command adds simulated players to the game, which in turn, increases the difficulty of the game, by increasing monster damage and HP. Many people do normal and nightmare on /players 8, and hell on /players 1.

Players 8 increases the difficulty of the game dramatically in some cases, but increases the experience gained, and the item drops from enemies, so there are definite advantages to using the command, and you can always drop the player setting down for bosses and the like.

Hope this helps.

Conanbarbarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes thank you

But how would I go about doing this?

I've gotta shot now unfotunatley

Is it a case of opening the right file and ajusting some text?

Will check replys tomz

Thanks for your time :)

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
While in game, you open up the chat box (by hitting enter) and type /players X where X is a number between 1-8. That's the 1.10/1.11 command, I think it's just playersX in 1.09 and which is the first patch it works in.

From the SPF FAQ

Aren't FAQs Cool? said:
2.01 What is the "/playersX" command?

Starting with Lord of Destruction 1.09, Blizzard allowed SP players to simulate games with multiple players. Monster life increases, and so does the experience they generate. This command largely removes the need for tedious levelling-up in early parts of the game.

To use the command in 1.10, hit <enter>, type "/playersX" where x is a number between 1 and 8. For example, "/players8" spawns monsters with the same life and experience you would find in an 8 person multi-player game. This setting can be changed at any time, but the new setting will only affect monsters that haven't spawned yet. Sometimes you might have to travel several screens before noticing the increased life.

In patch 1.09 the command was entered without the "/". The 1.09a and 1.09b patches allowed the players setting to be set as high as 64.

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
using the players 8 command is easy.

After you load up your character, hit the enter key. A "chat" box should appear at the bottom of the screen. Type in "/players 8" without the quotes. Now go outside, and kill something, if done right, you should notice the monsters take longer to go down.

EDIT: Damn. Pwned by the mod-stick.

Conanbarbarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks guys will give it a try tonight wen return from work.

Also using ATMA drop calculator there is also a drop increase which is great!

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
Thanks guys will give it a try tonight wen return from work.

Also using ATMA drop calculator there is also a drop increase which is great!
/players command adds un-partied players, so you have to be careful in ATMA. Use an odd number of players if you want to increase drops.

Llathias

Banned
When you type the "/players X" in the chat box, you'll see a message on the left hand side of the screen, saying "(character name): players set to X". The effects are:

1. Monsters get 0.5 times their base HP more for each additional player.
2. Monsters give 0.5 times their base experience more for each additional player.
3. Monsters do extra damage for each additional player. Some tests show it as 5% IIRC, though I'm not sure if it's the same for all monsters and all attacks. The 5% might also be off.
4. The chance that a monster will not drop anything drops exponentially with every 2 additional players. In other words, you get no bonus at p2, p4 etc, and p3 gives the highest benefit (increase in total item drops) for the same increase in difficulty. If the chance of not dropping anything is non-existant, as is the case with super uniques, this has no effect on item drops.

important note: Meph and Baal have incredibly low probability of no-drop at p3, and at p5 they always drop 6 items. Countess' rune drops are limited by her item drops, so you'll get the maximum number of runes at p1. Drops from uniques and super uniques are not affected by the setting, and since they have a much higher chance to drop high quality (unique/set) items than normal monsters, p1 is likely to be the most efficient setting for running, for example, Pindle or the Pits.

Conanbarbarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow this player thing really works, found these three fantastic SC in cold plains
2 from the same chest really great drop for early normal!

Lapis Small Charm of Life
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 14
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 2
Fingerprint: 0xe543149d
+9 to Life
Cold Resist +7%

Tangerine Small Charm of Life
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 14
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion