A question on exp pack

Singuken

Diabloii.Net Member
A question on exp pack

First I got d2 when it came out day one many years ago. I recently came back playing d2 classic after 3-4 years of not playing. I just got the exp pack today and was hoping for some tips on how to make best use of it?

My idea was to install and start a new fresh character for the exp pack and leave my classic chars/gear alone.

In the short time I've been playing I've made a lvl 46 ww barb, a lvl 71 blizz sorc and started an orb sorc last nite that is 24-25.

Thanks for any advice for an old noob.

stkrause

Diabloii.Net Member
Singuken said:
First I got d2 when it came out day one many years ago. I recently came back playing d2 classic after 3-4 years of not playing. I just got the exp pack today and was hoping for some tips on how to make best use of it?
Well, the best use would obviously *playing* it :D

My idea was to install and start a new fresh character for the exp pack and leave my classic chars/gear alone.
In the short time I've been playing I've made a lvl 46 ww barb, a lvl 71 blizz sorc and started an orb sorc last nite that is 24-25.
Making new chars is a good idea. Trying to reuse your classic char will most probably not work very well.
Best for starting is IMHO a skellimancer, he does not need to have special gear to be successfull in hell. But if you are more of the MFing kind, you can try to revive your blizz sorc and MF nightmare mephi until you have some nice gear to get you started. Keeping all flawless gems to cube them into perfect ones is a good idea, you can buy most items with these. And make sure you make the hellforge quest in act 4 alone, only one rune will pop, even if more players are partyed. And this rune can get pretty good (up to Gul in hell), so you can trade for nice stuff with it.

Oh, and read the trade value threads before you start to trading, else you may pay too much for cheap items... Besides, trading in this forum is a good idea, the people here are much more trustworthy than the regular b.net guy.

*stkrause

Singuken

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the ideas. I havent tried a necro yet so I might give that a whirl. I take it leveling is pretty much the same but with act 5 now for later levels and new items to get?

At this point is it worth it making an exp ladder char or should I just go non ladder for now?

stkrause

Diabloii.Net Member
I level as following (if I want to rush)

Lvl 1-13 tristram runs
Lvl 14-20 tombruns
Lvl 21 Ancients (Act 5 Quest 5)
Lvl 22-25 cow runs
Lvl 25- baalruns

Getting items depends on what you want to get. You get starter gear easyly for a coule of perfect gems, so no need to search for it. For highend gear run hell mephi (If you can make it), for midend gear nightmare mephi, nightmare andariel and hell andariel.

I'll make ladder chars, there are better runewords there and the economy is not as screwed as in non ladder. But non ladder players may have another opinion ;)

*stkrause

Singuken

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the info. It looks like I need to read up on the new cube formulas for exp pack since it seems that the cube has a lot more uses in the expansion.

mhl12

Diabloii.Net Member
make sure you understand everything about the new patch 1.10 as well because a lot has changed.

Singuken

Diabloii.Net Member
Its all new to me. Last time till recently I played d2 was just before the exp pack came out so as far as what was from 1.08, 1.09, 1.10 I have no idea :)

Orphan

Diabloii.Net Member
Singuken said:
At this point is it worth it making an exp ladder char or should I just go non ladder for now?
The only real reason not to start on ladder is if you already have a bunch of items on non-ladder, and don't really want to start from scratch. From what I gather, you've pretty much just started playing expansion, so you're going to be starting over anyway, so I recommend ladder :thumbsup:

Cooked

Diabloii.Net Member
Ladder is the most fun for me because there are more things you can do and more gear to find. The down side is the current Ladder has been running for a long time and Might???? end sooner than later.

If you play NonLadder...keep your old classic players. You can use them to 'rush' forge mules and such past act five.

Right now, lower and mid level gear is really cheap on ladder and even cheaper on NonLadder so you may pay a bit under 'market' or even get some stuff for free.

Singuken

Diabloii.Net Member
I'll have to get the list but I managed to be in luck last nite. I got into a ladder game with someone offering free rushes.

So now I have a lvl 1 sorc that has completed act 1-4 but still missing some quests and then they gave me a ton of free stuff.

sigons shield, a bunch of stuff I didnt recognize but all stuff for lvl 40-60s cold sorcs. an ammy +3 to cold skills, etc