Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A question for the athiests

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

A question for the athiests

What have you, as an athiest, replaced a religious diety with?

What is it that keeps you in check, gives you guidance, a reason for being?

What is bigger than you, that you believe in?

2. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

Nothing.

This may come as a shock to you, but you can have moral values without having a belief in a God. I believe in being nice to others, not doing drugs, not lying or stealing. Why? Because I'm a decent person. Do I need more reason than that?

Nothing.

3. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Don't you mean "godless heathens"? I'm shocked at how gentle you're being, Smeg! :lol:

4. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

How exactly does that make sense? :confused:

:rolleyes: What psyadam said.

Things bigger than me... cars, no doubt. At least in terms of weight. Uh.. buildings? I guess.. planes, cranes, elephants, mountains, oversized donkeys... all sorts of things.

5. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

I'm a very selfish person... so i always look out for #1 :thumbsup:

And doing certain things will result in a good chance that #1 will not be very happy, so i don't do them.

My reason for being is my pleasure, so you can probably see why i am the way i am.

And there's nothing bigger than me. Once again, to me, i'm #1 and that's what i look out for.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I'm Catholic and I don't observe morality to keep God off my back, I do it because it's the decent thing to do

I don't see why someone needs belief in higher power in order to be a good person, so I'm not entirely sure where smeg is going with this

while religion can be great in terms of getting people in touch with morals it shouldn't be necessary, we can just be excellent to each other because thats the totally righteous thing to do

7. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'm what keeps me in check. I don't need a deity to tell me what's good and bad so why would I need to replace one with something else? Everything that a god can provide I already can provide myself. The only thing that's "greater" than me that I serve is law, common sense and logic.

8. publius

publius IncGamers Member

I think the point that many people are trying to make is that morals have long predated religion. They arose because it made it possible for everyone to coexist without being at each others throats. They were then incorporated into the creation of organized religion.

9. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

I have faith in myself, and that's enough for me.

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I know that I must behave in a certain way to enjoy the mutual benefits of being in society.

That and for some reason I just don't feel like killing people or stealing.

11. Peregrine

Peregrine IncGamers Member

Nothing. I have no need for deities of any kind. Though I guess I could consider myself that replacement, but being worshipped isn't really the same as worshipping.

Myself. It might be hard to believe, but we aren't all inherently evil and kept from murdering/stealing/etc only by the commands of a god.

As for reason for being, whatever I feel like. I have no problem finding my own purpose in life without looking to outside sources for it.

This question is fundamentally flawed, as the Hellbird is bigger than all other things by definition. I can not believe in something bigger, because I am already god.

But seiously, nothing.

12. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

"Religious deity" :rolleyes:

I don't necessarily think religion and God have to go together. I view religion as man's attempt to get closer to God in one way or another. I don't think there is a way we can reach God through our own efforts, and according to the Bible, it is impossible to (please God).

Belief in God doesn't have much if anything to do with being morally superior. Even the demons believe in God. It's a relationship with Him that matters.

And for morals, what is the measure of morals if we don't believe in God? If there is no measurement of what is right and wrong how would we know? If it's based on what society says, then doesn't really come down to might makes right?

13. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Goofy question. The word "replace" seem like the person had a god then dumped him. They usually don't have one to start off with.

It's called self-guidance, using your wits, wisdom, and following common sense. It's what god wants us to do.

Nothing. I believe in my own abilities to control my life.

14. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

i don't care religion at all, not even enough to call myself atheist.

religion is just something that think is hollow in meaning and overall worthless in existence.

What keeps me in check is me, i'm my own diety. My shrine to me includes me.

15. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

I will suppose the existence of God for a moment. Since God allows such unbelievalbe amounts of suffering and natural evils in the world, how can he be a moral guide? If you say that you don't know why God allows what he does, then you are morally paralysed. (Since if you don't know why something is morally good/bad you have no motivation to do it/avoid it.) If you try to argue that God is not perfectly good, then you have an imperfect diety which is clearly unfit to guide your morals.

I would argue that God poses more of a problem to the morals of those following him than atheists.

(Now there is the other point, which was not Freemason's point, that is that religions typically inspire good morals. But that has little to nothing to do with God.)

16. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Should we assume that the topic here is people who are without theism rather than people who are the most athi?

17. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

If you supposed there was a God who created the world, would it not be inherantly understood that he intimately understood the workings of it, no matter how miniscule?

Us simply having the ability to create and experience pain and suffering neither negates nor proves the existance of a God, and pointing to natural pain and suffering as proof that God is immoral is flawed reasoning. Why do we question suffering and pain and say God couldn't allow such things? Death is a part of life and there are consequences to actions.

Besides, if there truly is a God, wouldn't he set the moral compass? Saying "this is what I think is right" and expecting God to measure up to that seems rather backwards to me.

God allows things to happen. Should I do something to myself and blame God for having the ability to do it? Or should I blame Him for my circumstances?
    What good would that do, exactly?

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

In the old days, perhaps. It is no longer might makes right in modern society. Morality is so subjective that there's no possibility of it being set by a god. The Christian morality is completely different from African tribe's morality dictated by their god(s) and countless other societies. The only measurement of morality is society's. Since religions are made by societies, it all comes down to the fact that morality is determined by a general agreement among people. My morality I find is stronger and makes more sense to me than any religious morality and vice versa I'm sure. Morality is not inherent and it does not need to be dictated by "god" (read: religious hierarchy).

19. toader

toader Banned

Im pretty sure that noone who believes needs the diety to tell them what's good or bad either. This always seems odd to me, peoples idea of what religion is. I wish I could just get inside some peoples heads sometimes (and let you in mine), because theres no way in the world that we can understand each other just verbally explaining it, let alone typing on a forum.

@Suggy: God = freewill. Theres also Satan, which is evil. God allows people to chose their path. God doesnt not 'allow or create' evil, its just there.

I honestly believe that Atheist or having a diety has no bearing on morals really. Morals/Ethics are things that are founded by society and culture (religion or not). Theres good people and bad people on the Earth, and I dont think that having religion or not makes you good or bad. This is why I am always disapointed and just walk away when I see atheists talking about 'having religion and morals thrown in their face', etc....

20. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Is the majority ruling not might? In a true democratic society, as you are suggesting morality is, the majority makes the rules. Is that not just a form of might makes right?