a question for Europeans.

skihard

Banned
a question for Europeans.

So I’m in a position with my job where I meet a lot of people from foreign countries that now live in the US for work reasons. They are consultants, engineers, program managers, and numerous other titles. Most are from Europe (Britain, Germany, and Italy) but some are from Japan and recently India.

Well I have notice something that I find cool and amusing at the same time. It seems that a lot of these individuals drive the largest truck/SUV built. There is no rule per nationality as to what they drive, but the common vehicles are Expeditions, Suburban's, 4-door Super Duty F250/F350 diesels, GMC Heavy Duty 2500/3500 diesels, some Dodge Durango’s, and the rare Luxury SUV.

For those that are from Europe I have a question is it something that these people can tell friends back home that they own or are they doing it to “fit into America†or what.

Raistlin Majere

Diabloii.Net Member
Do the people use their trucks? Most people I know who own 2500's or bigger do so because they need a truck that big for hauling stuff often.

Yeah, I mean come on, groceries take up a lot of room!

Didn't you hear, the federal government is considering phasing out all cars that actually fit in their lanes, saying they're an inefficient use of the roadways and the alloted space on the roads. :uhhuh:

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
skihard said:
For those that are from Europe I have a question is it something that these people can tell friends back home that they own or are they doing it to “fit into America†or what.
Nobody drives in those gigantic trucs here, the taxes on them are huuuuuge. So I guess they want to drive them while they can, in a country where gas is 100000x cheaper :)

PS: I'll ask my mum, she works for Danone and has several European people working for a few years in Minnesota.

HoD

skihard

Banned
Raistlin Majere said:
Do the people use their trucks? Most people I know who own 2500's or bigger do so because they need a truck that big for hauling stuff often.

These people are Business Men and Women. They don’t strike me as the type to be hauling a 5th wheel camper/trailer around or taking a boat to the lake. They strike me more as the type that would have it because they can’t back home for whatever reason. However there is one that I talk with on a weekly basis that I Know does use it to pull Snowmobiles up north with in the winter. It’s actually kind of funny to here a British guy talking about going upstate sledding for the weekend.

DrunkPotHead said:
"Small penis replacement machine" comes to mind. Or does that only apply to Hummers? :lol:
I call this PCS or Penis Compensation Sindrome, it applies to a city guy that drives a H2 or somthing big like that for no reason, or it can apply to the guy that spends most waking hours at the gym trying to be the next Arnold.

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven't seen much of Europe, but the parts I have seen, I recall there being tiny cars, because the roads were so narrow. Maybe they're over-compensating?

Europe (or at least UK) isnt bad at all for this (hey, we invented the mini!) although alot of people in cities now drive 4x4's, which is just stupid since they only go shopping, take kids to school, and take up 12 lanes of traffic.
And the USA is much, much worse for big cars. Continental europe seems to have alot of really small, often yellow cars that try to be stylish.
And over here, the PCS (thanks skihard!) men dont drive muscle cars, they tend to drive BMW's and the cheaper jaguars. These people are probably managers in mid sized businesses in middle england and there wives are ordered online.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Man, if I lived in the city, I'd have a fast little car to zip around in. Like the new Lotus Elise. Park it anywhere, or put it in your pocket if you need to. I would hate to have to find parking all the time for a big boat.

masterazn

Banned
Herald of Doom said:
Nobody drives in those gigantic trucs here, the taxes on them are huuuuuge. So I guess they want to drive them while they can, in a country where gas is 100000x cheaper :)

PS: I'll ask my mum, she works for Danone and has several European people working for a few years in Minnesota.

HoD
Since your mom works for Danone, can you ask her why it's spelt Danonn in the U.S.? I'm in New York now and it's really confusing me.

Also, I wouldn't mind driving an Escalade if I could afford it.

Kawaii

Diabloii.Net Member
masterazn said:
Since your mom works for Danone, can you ask her why it's spelt Danonn in the U.S.? I'm in New York now and it's really confusing me.

Also, I wouldn't mind driving an Escalade if I could afford it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danone said:
Groupe Danone SA is an international food products company with its central headquarters in France, specializing in dairy products, especially famous for its yoghurt. It owns the brands Volvic, Evian (mineral waters), Lattella, Actimel/Activia (dairy products), and Lu (biscuits).

It was founded in 1919 by Isaac Carasso in Barcelona, Spain as a small factory producing yoghurt, which being originally from the Balkans was not very well known in Western Europe at that time. The name of the factory was chosen to be "Danone" as a diminutive of the name of his son, Daniel.

Ten years later, the first French factory was built, but during WWII, Daniel moved the company to New York, where Dannon Milk Products Inc. was founded. In the United States, Daniel changed the brand name to Dannon to sound more American. Then in 1958, the company returned to Paris, where its headquarters are located today.
lalala10chars

Madness

Diabloii.Net Member
masterazn said:
I think it's because that's how you're supposed to pronounce it. At least I know in France it's pronounced Danonn.
Here it's Danone though... So Im not sure.