A question about the Europe realm

Erwwwd

Diabloii.Net Member
A question about the Europe realm

Let me first place this disclaimer: I don't dislike polish people, I don't intend to start a flame war. If this thread moves that way close it:

I'm just curious about this:

Anyone ever notice how many people on the Europe realm are from Poland? Why is that? I mean the country is pretty large and does have a lot of inhabitants(almost 40 million total), but it feels like almost halve the players are polish. Many times people have come into my trade games starting off speaking polish and only changing to English after I've explained that I don't understand them.

Why is this? Do they give away this game free with every PC over there? I always thought this phenomenon was rather interesting, maybe some of our polish forummembers can give some insight?

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: A question about the Europe realm

Let me first place this disclaimer: I don't dislike polish people, I don't intend to start a flame war. If this thread moves that way close it:

I'm just curious about this:

Anyone ever notice how many people on the Europe realm are from Poland? Why is that? I mean the country is pretty large and does have a lot of inhabitants(almost 40 million total), but it feels like almost halve the players are polish. Many times people have come into my trade games starting off speaking polish and only changing to English after I've explained that I don't understand them.

Why is this? Do they give away this game free with every PC over there? I always thought this phenomenon was rather interesting, maybe some of our polish forummembers can give some insight?
I agree. There are actually pretty many players that, when asked "nor?" or something, anwer "pl". Maybe Dii is a popular game in Poland? I dunno...

iewcce

Diabloii.Net Member

Alot of players from pl indeed. And my guess is that their rather young.. or the english education in pl arent the best:)

(but my english isnt awesome either, but i understand it)

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator

Heh. Well, 5 or so years ago, it felt like 75% of the players were german. (And they were) About 3 years ago, it felt like every second person in the European Trade Forum here was dutch. It comes and goes, I guess. :jig:

carnivore

Diabloii.Net Member

i doubt that the composition changed that much. its probably just individual perception.

jimmah

Diabloii.Net Member

Haven't really noticed, then again I just started over again recently. I've only noticed Germans who respond "??????????" to a normal question in English. :p

Opeeq

Diabloii.Net Member

From my point of view, german and polish people outnumber all others

though people from poland like playing barbs alot ^^

"HAVE IK ARMOR?" hehe

EpicDevia

Diabloii.Net Member

hm, i am noticing only scandinavians, mostly norvegians. maybe thats because i like them a lot... they look to me so solid, warmly people.
polish? ah, those fast kids... :D

korialstraz

Diabloii.Net Member

I notice mostly Pl and Ger people on bnet. It's like every game almost has one from Pl or Ger in it.

Epic: Mostly Nor people? How do you find those? I almost only find people from other countries except when in the Nor chat :D

Grimey

Banned

I thought everybody was was german. Every game I enter: " ar u german???????????? "

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member

I always believed most Scandinavians had rather solid English education, so we shouldn't stand out to much, I mean I prefer to use English even if it's a game only with swedes in it ... thinking "swe" suddenly just feels wrong, and whatever you type it sounds misspelled because your English sense is still on.

Bnet Germans and Polish people on the other hand do indeed stand out somewhat. Why? I've got my theories but no facts ... :whistling:

EpicDevia

Diabloii.Net Member

korialstraz, just join random game where only 1 player will be hardly fighting with flayers in the flayer jungle. in most cases that brave man will be norvegian or at least scandinavian :D

korialstraz

Diabloii.Net Member

Lol. I guess some of us Norwegians fight alone in the harsh jungle envirement due to our relation with Vikings :D

Jokes aside I rarely join random games with 1 guy in. Though it depends on the game name and my mood ;)

EpicDevia

Diabloii.Net Member

i think, u said the whole truth about vikings/scandinavians.. so i sense no jokes here :jig:

Imo it's ze Germans that outweigh anything else. There's rarely an open game I make where a person doesn't come in and ask 'ger?' first thing.
But that's no real problem, I understand most of what they say, I just always answer in English back.

Funny point of Kijya though, I have the same thing. If I talk with a fellow forumite who speaks Dutch/Vlaams we usually keep it in English too (i.e. with Furyan). We both feel we can sometimes express ourselves better that way.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

There are about 100 million native German speakers in Europe (including Switzerland and Austria). That outweighs England, France, Italy by a factor of 1.6 - 2, respectively, and Poland by a factor of 2.5. Although every German learns English at school today (which doesn't mean that he memorizes his knowledge), their English is generally worse than the English of Scandinavians because nearly everything is translated into German here (synchronized in movies, i.e. no subtitles), so the need to be good at English isn't as great here as in countries with a smaller population.

jimmah

Diabloii.Net Member

There are about 100 million native German speakers in Europe (including Switzerland and Austria). That outweighs England, France, Italy by a factor of 1.6 - 2, respectively, and Poland by a factor of 2.5. Although every German learns English at school today (which doesn't mean that he memorizes his knowledge), their English is generally worse than the English of Scandinavians because nearly everything is translated into German here (synchronized in movies, i.e. no subtitles), so the need to be good at English isn't as great here as in countries with a smaller population.
Doesn't that give a feeling of isolation from the world? Or does it just make you more proud of the German language? I think it's kind of an interesting phenomena.