Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A question about the catacombs?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by LouisLeGros, Apr 16, 2008.

1. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

A question about the catacombs?

I've recently started a project of maping the dungeons of Diablo 2 and most specifically commonly run areas such as the countess' tower, the catacombs, the arcane sancutary, the durance of hate, and the world stone keep.

I was inspired by a guide to getting destruction keys and finding Nihlathak.

So far my success as a cartographer has been less then stellar.

I got the Halls of Pain and the Halls of Vaught done, but this has already been accomplished by others. I've heard of some success with the countess, but I haven't looked into that too much. I've been working on the catacombs and I haven't seen any repeating maps and I haven't looked into my results enough to find paterns and my folder for this project is around 12 MBs.

So is there any data out there that could help me out or prevent me from an never ending number of maps for the catacombs and other areas. Or is the clockwise for this area and counter clockwise for another area the best we can do?

2. Alc

Alc IncGamers Member

Re: A question about the catacombs?

Pretty much. There's very little to discover about Diablo 2's maps that isn't either 1/ known or 2/ "random".

3. awsker

awsker IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say clockwise or counter-clockwise is the way view Diablo II's random maps. It's more a matter of how the room containing the stairs to the next level will look depending on how other details of the map looks. The most common example is that you can tell how the room with the stairs to Durance of Hate Level 3 will look just by looking at how the waypoint-room looks. From that data, you can pretty much estimate where the stair room is most likely to end up. The same can be said about the Countess' Tower and the way the stairs to the previous level looks. But I'm sure all this is covered somewhere already.

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Regarding keys:

Black Marsh: Random
    Countess Tower Cellar: Check map borders to the left of the exit of the starting room first.
    Summoner: Random.
    Halls of Pain: Has only 3 map designs.
    Halls of Vaught. Check wall patterns or features in the first branch entered.

Use the search function for details - there are a couple of threads about the issue here and in the community forum :tongue: