A Question About Supporting Dupers

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceWarrior

Diabloii.Net Member
A Question About Supporting Dupers

hi well i wasnt sure where to post this, but i think here sounds right.

http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=663807

a thread there about valuing a tyrael and Cyberpunk makes a statement that he thanks dupers for all they have done allowing hrs to become accessible and to ruin the d2 economy. i do not think that i am on my own here i wish all hr were legit so we couldnt make endless amounts of them, and so they would actually have some value, and so all rws were legit

i just wanted to see who was for/agains dupers, for me i am strongly against

Ice

jallelime

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: A Question About Supporting Dupers

I am all against, it's way more fair to the game to cube your way up with the low runes ;>

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't really care too much about duped items. The game wouldn't be more fun without them, just different; I like my high end runewords, but I don't need them to have fun - I have spent more time playing without hrs than with.

I wouldn't mind duping being impossible if I had a reasonable chance of finding an hr every 2-3 months. Caveat: now that I've been able to enjoy grief/fort/enigma, the game might be less fun if they suddenly became completely inaccessible to me.

ChrisF

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm sitting on the fence here, I dont agree with dupers but I cant say that I disagree without being a hypocrite. I have a few high end runewords That I wouldnt have a chance in hell of getting without duped runes.

raishi

Diabloii.Net Member

I find all my own gear...so needless to say i don't have anything halfway decent...I think my best item is the iron jang bong...

Pjoll

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm now the proud owner of that Tyraels Might :D

Anyways, I think I agree with SnickerSnack and ChrisF. I'm not for duping items or cheating, but after playing with my runewords for so long (especially my enigmas), I'm not sure I would enjoy the game without them. So in that regard, I am thankful. But, had I never had the taste of it in the first place (or as much as I do), I wouldn't know how wonderful they are and it ultimately wouldn't affect me. In that regard, I loathe dupers.

Gorny

Banned

Per the forum rules we do not support or condone the use of hacks and cheats. this includes dupes. So no. Also, those supporting dupes or pushing dupes end up banned anyway.

ProfessionalBerg

Diabloii.Net Member

Gorny, please, do not misunderstand. We are talking purely about moral acceptance of duping. We do not promote it, we just discuss: what is duping to us, and what standpoint do we have on it?

I'll say it like this myself: burn all the dupers, delete all the dupes. True, we lose a lot of good runewords, but tell me, is it not possible to enjoy the game WITHOUT those dupes? For example, a Full Tal's dual-tree sorceress is still one of the most viable starter characters.

shinningman

Diabloii.Net Member

theres no way to stop the spammers or duped runes... people will always buy cuz its so cheap

$8 for anni
$1 for occy
$2 - 10 for a torch (some torches cost more)
$8 for a lvl 80 char
$3 for enigma

NOTE: im not trying to promote these sites but im just giving a example of how cheap they are to point out that people will always be buying so other people will always be duping/MFing to sell

Bob The Barbarian

Diabloii.Net Member

I cannot bring myself to support cheating in any way. Somehow, the value of playing a game is lost when cheating is present. Why should I bother to play when the other person is given an unfair advantage. Brings to mind the story of the boy who kept hitting himself in the head with a hammer. When asked why he did it, he replied, "Because it feels so good when I stop."

I do think Blizzard unbalanced the game when they made higher level runes so very difficult to find. With the odds of finding decent runes fairly boardering on the same odds for winning the lottery, I don't see many of us with those nice runeworded items. Mind you, I don't think high runes should be easy to find (if we all had a million dollars, we would all be middle class), but they should be easier. How to accomplish this? Maybe a higher rune drop rate from certain hard to kill monsters. Perhaps a little better chance at a higher level rune dropping than at present.

I run hell countess all the time. I can't count the number of ELs, ETHs and ELDs that have dropped. True, they can be cubed, but it would take an inordinate amount of them to reach even a PUL (which is not a high rune in anyone's dictionary). Once the ladder season ends, we are even further limited as the runes above a SHAEL cannot be cubed.

So my vote? Ban the dupers, but modify the game -- at least to the point of being able to cube runes all the way up to ZOD without being a ladder character.

Gorny

Banned

Gorny, please, do not misunderstand. We are talking purely about moral acceptance of duping. We do not promote it, we just discuss: what is duping to us, and what standpoint do we have on it?

I'll say it like this myself: burn all the dupers, delete all the dupes. True, we lose a lot of good runewords, but tell me, is it not possible to enjoy the game WITHOUT those dupes? For example, a Full Tal's dual-tree sorceress is still one of the most viable starter characters.
I understand completely. Hence why the topic is still open:coffee:

hpmons

Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with Bob, dupes give some people an unfair advantage and unbalances the game - if everyone just has uber perfect items, whats the point of playing? Some items need to be hard to get, otherwise there is nothing to strive for.

On the other hand, I do think that high runes need to be a bit easier to find - especially as there are several runewords that require them. I only play single player so dupes arent an issue, but it does mean Im unlikely to ever be able to use Enigma or Inifinity.

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

I also agree with Bob. I would rather not have dupes. I didn't like it when my ber (or was it jah?) poofed a few weeks ago. I would much rather find my own Ber every year or so than run countess 50 times (one day) in order to trade for ber and have it poof. I like the high end runewords, but I can enjoy the game without them. As Bob (and many other before) has said: stop dupes, but fix drops. It's a trivial task to set the drop rates to approximate current hr quantities.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member

So my vote? Ban the dupers, but modify the game -- at least to the point of being able to cube runes all the way up to ZOD without being a ladder character.
Not that it would help. Even if you can cube a rune per instruction (ie. in 1 nano second), chances are you would die before you can cube enough El's to a Zod. The drop rates for the runes are stupid. It's not boardering that of lottery. It's putting lottery to shame.

Psyrus

Diabloii.Net Member

I am strongly against them and the promotion of such. There are many times others make me feel like a bug that needs to be squashed, but my choice stands.

Keeping it short and sweet. Otherwise I'd probably go on and on about it...

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member

I used to trade for hr's, so one could say I supported duping. At the latest ladder reset, I decided to play selffound only. Then I quit Bnet and started playing single player to leave all the cheats, hacks and whatnot behind me.

Arkansaw

Banned

the next patch should just relax the drop rates if they don't plan on changing anything else, that should be enough to put duping out of business

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The problem is three-fold:

1. Wanting to be l33t
  2. Greed
  3. Laziness
1) People want to 'pwn'. I suspect most of this is relevent to the fact a good proportion of players are .... young. A time when the influence of peers is high and they haven't reached the "stuff you, I'll play how I want" stage.

2) In order to achieve 1) they need 'ubar itamz'. To get said items, they pretty much don't care where it comes from. There isn't any reputation to uphold so politeness and general good conduct goes out of the window, turns left and heads for Pluto. This is why pub bnet is generally a nightmare. At least here there is a sense of community and you don't really want to look like a total cretin in front of everyone.

3) 'Ubar itamz' are 'needed' because people want 1) without putting any actual effort into playing the game. On bnet 0-90 is possible in three hours. I've done it. And it has some interesting differences but ... it isn't playing the game. And too many people can't be bothered to learn about how a character develops through the game and how they deal with different situations. They want to get to 90, geared with EbotZ and that's it, so they just don't care where it comes from.

Dupes will continue .. despite the best efforts of Trade Mods and/or Blizzard .. while people aren't self-found.

It's wrong, it stinks and you're not doing yourself any favours, but that's the way it is.

Psyrus

Diabloii.Net Member

1) People want to 'pwn'. I suspect most of this is relevent to the fact a good proportion of players are .... young. A time when the influence of peers is high and they haven't reached the "stuff you, I'll play how I want" stage.
QFT. Actually, all three apply, but I believe you hit the nail square on the head with this one. To add, it seems like they're getting younger, but the thing is some of us are actually getting older. Something along those lines anyway. I hope I'm understood here.

Status
Not open for further replies.