Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A question about 'free' games..

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Starseed, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

A question about 'free' games..

I know they're not free. 'Free SoJ', 'Free Enigma Here (or, as they say on Bnet, 'hurr')' et cetera. My question is if anyone knows the hook behind these games? Are they to just laugh at people who go in expecting free stuff, PK games, some kind of other unpleasant and/or illegal activity? Obviously I never went into one, nor have any intention to, was just wondering if anyone knew what was up with these, since I see so many of them around..

2. lazyassdre

lazyassdre IncGamers Member

My friends and I used to make those games when we we do short exp runs, such as the Travincal (but then we found out people actually do Travincal runs :p). Some people do it for Pindle/Meph runs because they think that more people means that they will drop better items. Other then that, I don't know.

3. KaNdeeKiD

KaNdeeKiD IncGamers Member

4. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

Ahh, alright. Well, that makes sense. In that case, yeah I've done that myself except using cows (which works cool because usually the other people who joined up go and do cows anyway while me and my friend MF elsewhere).

The paranoia alarms usually just tend to go off whenever I see the word free and <insert really popular item here> in the same sentence. :p

5. KaNdeeKiD

KaNdeeKiD IncGamers Member

I use to fall for it all the time when i was new :grrr: I never go into free games anymore.... tho i only played like once a month anyway

6. ThereIsNoSpoon

ThereIsNoSpoon IncGamers Member

Most of the time people do it for mfing reasons. Especialy the ones who do pits or other level 85 areas.

7. geekgirl

geekgirl IncGamers Member

Hmmm. I entered a game recently, with some suspicion, called Newbie Free Stuff. (Or something like that) To my surprise, it was really stuff - unique and magical - on the ground of rogue camp for the taking. I dropped off some gravepalms I didn't want, and then picked up a few nice pally items for my friend who is starting a new paladin.

But - someone was yelling for folks *not* to pick up the items and sell them.. cause they're for the newbies. :) I guess not everything in life goes as planned, and once it's free we can't say what someone will do with it!

Anyhow, these free games exist. I don't know how common they are.

8. Civ

Civ IncGamers Member

I make "free low lvl" games all the time( usually once every 10 runs) and drop of stuff bcos i keep every set/unique that drops from my meph runs to empty out my stash. but as for soj etc they are just to get ppl in. So if u see one with coldciv in it, it isnt a scam :)

9. fatmantan

fatmantan IncGamers Member

I often join or make games named free, freee etc.

I drop my gear, but what really annoys me is the people that constantly click on you saying "free" or "free for me"

seldom u get ppl saying "free pls" even that i dont like.

They should be grateful that ppl even give out stuff. Sometimes i wanna give out, but just leave it in game and start new one.

10. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

I've started doing this recently, anytime I need the Anya quest(In Nm or Hell) I make a game called "Free Anya".

My reasoning is, for those who come in asking for Free, If they had spent their time killing monsters for items they would've had a much more productive time.

For those who know who play the game wanting To Free Anya, I still get someone to party with.It really only catches those who've never really played the game... And I don't do it in Norm in case a real Newbie comes along... Unfair to tease new people with free items. (Lazy idiots on the other hand....)

Of course, as was said... games are usually for Mf/Exp purposes. Pk doesn't work that well since most people won't leave the Town in a free game. Afraid they won't get the items.

11. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

I have seen enough games where someone cleans up his mules or something.

I do it myself as well, but since i am not rich, it is real crap when i empty my mules :D.

Also do i rather bring it just to a game where people are playing act1 for quests than making a game with free in the name. Greedy kids can go to hell.

12. cOMMANDo

cOMMANDo IncGamers Member

i make free games all the time.
    i'll do a few meph runs, and fill up with lower lvl stuff i have too much of (ik maul, frostburns, tals helm and other mid lvl armors weapons)
    then i make a game called: free tals helm or free ik maul or free stuff
    then i drop whatever it is on the ground near the stash, then procede to do another meph or whatever mf run i'm on
    cracks me up when a person enters, right on top of the item, then start spaming "i need free!" "where is it" and there standing on it...
    gets anoying tho when 7 people enter at one time, and one gets it and leaves, then the other 6 start b*tching about that there's not anything free, that i'm just a *^(%^*^*^(*^%$#%#%$ mfer, then they proceed to call me names... or ask for free stuff over and over...

i do get an ocassional TY!!! tho, which is nice...

13. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

The lack of gratitude is astounding sometimes.....

Spoiled brats :grrr:

14. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

It's possible that people make games with those names simply as a hook to suck you into joining.

Almost every Saturday morning I personally make "Free" on East non ladder and pile stuff in rogue.

Of course there will not be an Enigma or BOTD or even soj's but lots of low to mid range unique and set items as well as open socket and rare items.

Not everyone on bnet is a Butthead, there are just so many it makes it kind of unbelievable :lol:

15. Remlak

Remlak IncGamers Member

i do free games all the time in nm, when im doing andy runs. I usually just have someone that joined and is following me from game to game become the 'picker', who picks all the items up that andy drops...then drops them in the next game. It can be quite fun actually, when you get a good group of ppl following you. Ive made quite a few friends doing this

16. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

I start Free games with the itention of actually giving something away. I've always give away semi useful stuff that I won't bother muling like Lightsabres and Baranars. It's however annoying that everyone gets pissed off at you apart from the person who gets it.

17. Meosha

Meosha IncGamers Member

I've seen a real one too. Someone started a Normal game called "Free Patriarch", and the guy there really gave my character a Patriarch- and on top of that, a unique Knout, Baelzag's Vortex or something to that effect.

I handed the Patriach on to the next guy to come in and left with the Vortex.

18. batu

batu Banned

Make free Soj/ber/jah/enigma/eth BOTD game
    Wait for 10 seconds.
    Save and exit.
    Rejoin the game you just made.

If you are lucky, people will join the game and ask 'where, where???'
    Add to their confusion by joining in the clamour. Laugh.

Pathetic, I know.

19. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

I make free games occasionally...usually there are 1 or 2 items that I wind up giving away, but what I do is I do my eldritch/shenk/pit runs, and then whatever uniques/sets I find that I don't want to keep I'll give away to whoever joins and has the patience to stay....

So yeah in my case MF purposes

20. Dodgy_geezah

Dodgy_geezah IncGamers Member

I join these games with my blizz sorc mf'er. Others are running the pits or whatever while I take a jaunt through the ancient tunnels. Best way for me to get multiplayer drops playing solo really. If I join one where something IS actually free its a bonus. :)