Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A pvp berzerk barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by wheel-of-doom, Nov 7, 2006.

1. wheel-of-doom

wheel-of-doom IncGamers Member

A pvp berzerk barb

Well I was using my ww parb that uses a botd warpike, and he manages to hit a 13k max with level 1 berzerk(with bo synergy). I can imagine this doing some major damage if it were a main attack.

The thing im not sure about is the weapon I use. I just need an idea of the amounts of damage fully built berzerk barbs do, either with one hand or 2 hand weapons.

If I end up building one it's going to be for pvp, so any other tips on gear or build would be good.

2. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

i'm not sure exactly what equip you should use but since berzerk puts your defense at 0 when hitting your only protection will be your shield

couple suggestions for items :
    1) as low str req as possible (or high str bonus items) since you'll need most of your points in vit, besides getting 75% block
    2) getting high fhr breakpoint (86 fhr)
    3) getting high block breakpoint (not too sure about how much you'll need here, maybe shael'd storm, not 100% sure if this reaches next breakpoint)

as for equip (first guess) :
    arreats -> obvious choice
    fortitude archon -> 300% ed, +life, dmg reduce, dmg to mana
    botd ba -> 60% ias, high dmg, low req, high stat bonus
    bloodfist gloves -> 10% ias 30% fhr 40 life
    sandstorms -> 20% fhr, good stat bonus
    verdungo's -> 10% fhr, good extra vit and 15% dmg red to reach max of 50
    angelic combo -> huge ar just to make sure you dont miss (much)

with that setup you've got a total of 90% fhr which is more than enough only problem would be the ias breakpoint, with 75% ias (currently 70) you'll hit 10fpa (2.5 attacks per second) and with 125% ias you'll hit 9fpa (2.7 attacks per second)

zerk for pvp doesnt sound like a good either though mainly for the lack of any defense when using it

3. Murderface

Murderface IncGamers Member

:idea: You'd just have to use a range 5 weapon,get an assload of health, and get lucky a lot. You would only need one hit :badteeth:

4. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

emphasis on lucky a lot lol

5. wheel-of-doom

Well I still need to know the damage that a fully built berzerker does either with a 1 hand or 2 handed weapon. Because that will decide what kind of weapon im going to use. If I can hit a decent amount of damage to kill someone in 1 hit then I will definitely go with a 2 hander. But if not then its not worth having to try and hit someone twice and in that case I'm better off with a 1 hander with the safety net of a shield.

6. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

Ebotd Great PoleAxe. That's all you need.

7. MrGoth

MrGoth IncGamers Member

The damage to zerk from skill & syenrgy, not even counting +str, will make %ed gear not as helpful as you might think.

For more damage output, if your willing to have a horrible amount of dex for blocking, consider shaft stop + lance guard {%deadly strike in a shield}. Again this is giving up almost all dex just to have only average blocking. Also this shield has great %fhr, and a lovely punch of +hp which works with bo. Not only that, but this one shield has possibly the best in game graphcis of any item in the game; it looks sick!

For the best imo, i would most likely use a chains of honor. For pvp, since you wont have a dynamic attack like ww {as your primary damage dealer anyway}, you will have a hard time moving around, so stacking just that much more absorb is good.

For pvm, you can use concentrate to leach a little back. Also for pvm, since most "magic immunes" are undead, this armor will give you a huge boost of damage to hurt them when you have to use a non - zerk attack.

8. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

you cant touch anything melee with berserk. twohanders are too slow, use grief+beast or grief+phoenix and keep in mind that you are at disadvantage vs most classes no matter how good you are at telezerking.

9. wheel-of-doom

Well, I'm used to builds that have disadvantages, and getting around that is no problem.

It seems that this cant really work in pvp without a shield. I think grief is a good way to go in terms of weapons.

It's difficult to decide what im going to do with armor and shield. I could go with enigma, but then I'd seriously lack in resists(and I'm tired of using them), and I'm going to have decent leap anyways, so I'm probably gonna go with coh, fort, or maybe shaftstop.

I like the lance guard idea but with that my resists would really suck and I think I get more flexibility with other shields. I'm not going to use a phoenix because firestorm casts and gets really annoying. If I go with shaftstop I could go with a shield like sanctuary and my resists would be taken care of as well as decent block. If I go with stormshield I could use either coh or fort.

Gloves and boots, bloodfists and gores always seem to be some of the overall best options. I'm open to any other suggestions on these.

Helm is going to be arreats and belt is dungos, cant think of anything better than those.

rings and ammy, most likely angelics, though ravens/highlords might work.

Any comments or notes on gear are welcome.

10. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

What's the use of having resistances (which is btw for casters), if you can never catch your opponent? You will still be the first to die, be it with 95 all resistances or with -100.

Also, Berserk is not like some Smite that you can just use and kill people. Berserk can be interrupted, it doesn't stun, it's slower ...

11. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

what do you suggest making those runewords in? ba?
    wouldnt the dual weapon fact make the barb an even easier target for other melee chars? no defense and no block? i thought using a shield was only way to protect yourself :eek:
    or are you going for a more "kill or die" approach? :D
    if so, i'm guessing grief+beast would be best option? extra speed and ar from fana are extremely useful imo
    either way, just asking, never tried zerk in pvp before, conc was ok but that increased defense and was uninterruptable

@ce olba :
    add to that smite always hits unlike zerk

12. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

berserk is autoloss vs anything melee. hence shield is useless. since you're going after casters you _will_ need enigma. grief+beast axes with 40% fcr (trangs+arach) is a simple and effective build. use 2x ravens for cbf, mana and decent ar (way enough vs casters). highlords for deadly strike is obvious. if you cant get enough res from charms/boots you can always use kiras. with coa in stash for dr vs druids you'll have a pretty effective char vs sorcs/necs/druids (ones with block are harder of course). dont expect to kill much other chars though.

13. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

ba:s if you go grief+beast, with grief+phoenix you should use phase blade for faster attack speed.
    yes you'll die faster without block vs melee, but since you dont stand any chance whatsoever anyway it doesn't matter.
    fana and str on beast also adds around 220% ed, which together with the ar and speed might outweigh the 400% from phoenix.
    if berserk was uninterruptable as conc it would work great vs casters, now it's hard to pull off consistently.

14. maxusmag

maxusmag IncGamers Member

i use a ebotd thunder maul i have only 1 hard point invested in bezer i think it is about 4 or 5 with other modifiers. i do 11k max

15. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

@morotsjos :
    myeah, true, with a 30ias grief ba and lvl9 fana you'ld only need 15 ias from equip to reach 9fpa
    same with 30ias grief pb / phoenix combo but i guess you cant afford to loose range like that on zerk

16. morotsjos

morotsjos Banned

range isn't an issue with telezerking, but grief+beast berserkers can put one point in ww and be somewhat effective vs melee.

17. wheel-of-doom

Well, actually nigma might work, If I go with sanctuary I can have decent block, res and teleport. All this means is I have to trade for another freaking coa. Because not having max dr really sucks. Unless theres another decent helm that can give me decent stats and dr.

But the thing about this that doesnt work well, is the most I can hit is a 10 frame atatck with a phase grief(if I get 20%ias gloves). To hit 9 frames I'd have to go with stormshield + arreats so I could socket them with ias jewels.

Another problem with telezerking is you need a decent amount of fcr to make it even worth while and if I go for any fcr I'm sacrificing either frames to my attack, dr, or ar.

Any ideas on this?

I don't want to dual wield anything so grief+beast isn't an option for me. And besides berzerk isn't auto-loss vs melee, it's most likely lost. Since you can't effectively reduce magic damage the damage may provide some balance(well with the exception of ww).

18. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

For a suprisingly damaging weapon, look into making an Ebotd Archon Staff. With maxed mace mastery, the staff is an excellent ranged weapon for berzerk, leap attack, or whirlwind. The combination of high damage / small range is one of the best, if not the best in the game.

19. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

It has very low stat reqs as well. :grin:

20. LeegionOnEast

LeegionOnEast IncGamers Member

08 Valk for a TeleZerk helm? Helps all the breaking points.