A PSA from the Heart of America

A PSA from the Heart of America

Everyone here in the Mid-West want the rest of the world to know something. There is a long e sound on the end of Missouri. No one says Mississippa, so why Missoura?

We here in the bread basket just wanted you to know and not sound like a jackass.

This thread brought to you by the "We're really pissed off about everyone mispronouncing our state committee".

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
I am quite concerned that anyone needed to have that explained to them.

(And I am not an American.)

Do people seriously mis-pronounce that? I can understand a problem with a couple of areas near me (Cheylesmore, Styvechale/Stivicall) but not Missouri. How odd.

Yeah, lots of people do. Even our own politicians. There is a guy on the state supreme court that has a commercial where he says it like 10 times. I think he should be kicked out of office just for that.

Some people even say "Our Kansas" for Arkansas. . .

These people are making the super hero(genetic clorox) inside me very angry.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought it was pronounced "misery." At least that's what the refugees from that place I met in Japan told me.

The last syllable in "Oregon" does not sound like "gone," by the way. I used to have a T-shirt that told the world ORYGUN in no uncertain terms.

It's only misery if you go out into the sticks where all the creepy Meth people are, if you stay in towns/cities you're fine.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Why the hell is "Arkansas" pronounced "Arkensaw" anyway?

The last syllable in "Oregon" does not sound like "gone," by the way. I used to have a T-shirt that told the world ORYGUN in no uncertain terms.
It's an unstressed vowel, isn't it? In fact, I think they both are.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I just saw some lady on CNN do it. If it makes you feel any better, some people call it Cincinnata instead of Cincinnati.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
This is all so regional anyway.

Round my parts, it is ARkensaw.

I have never considered pronouncing it Missoura though. That seems odd.

Gertlex

Banned
I would put it on the KAN.
If you get outvoted on this, would that make you a hypocrite? I put it on the Ar, arrr...

I'm hearing impaired, and I say words funny sometimes, but never as blatantly as Missoura...

Hadn't thought of the Oregon one...
Or a gun
Or a gin
Or a gone
Or a whogibadamn

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I hate people who pronounce it ORE-IH-GONE.

Dumbass: "Where ya from?"
Me: "[Ore-Gun]"
Dumbass: "[Ore-Ih-Gone]?"
Me: "No, ORE-GUN, you dip****. I even pronounced it for you and you still ****ed it up. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
You know what I hate? When people have accents. Man that really chaps my hide. FOR GOD'S SAKE IT IS TOMAYTO NOT TOMAHTO.

Oh wait, it can be both? Weird. Weird how the same word can be pronounced differently depending on where you are.

Cannon Fodder

Diabloii.Net Member
You'd also be surprised how many pronounciations people come up with for Albany. Although that problem pales in comparison with how few actually know it is the capital of NY. I swear the next person who tells me completely seriously that NYC is the capital is getting punched in the throat.

You know what I hate? When people have accents. Man that really chaps my hide. FOR GOD'S SAKE IT IS TOMAYTO NOT TOMAHTO.

Oh wait, it can be both? Weird. Weird how the same word can be pronounced differently depending on where you are.
Names of places never change. Like I said before no one says Mississippa and you hardly ever hear of Cincinnata.

It isn't an accent thing, people who talk just like I do on ever other word in the universe say Missoura.

Gertlex

Banned
Names of places never change. Like I said before no one says Mississippa and you hardly ever hear of Cincinnata.

It isn't an accent thing, people who talk just like I do on ever other word in the universe say Missoura.
Carthage -> Tunis
Ann's Arbor -> Ann Arbor (or something similar to that...)

Though I get your point really, I felt like being a jerk :)