Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A prescription for Blacksouls

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Cerebron, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

A prescription for Blacksouls

Find two shields each with two sockets. Put two pTopaz into each and that's 160% lightning resistance. There're a lot of things I'm not sure. Can one have two shield carried at the same time? Is 2 the max number of sockets on a shield? pTopaz on shield = 40% Lightning resist? I think so.

2. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Uhh... TWO sheilds? and how do you hold two sheilds?

Prescription for Black souls, blind them with dim vision. Finish with spear.

3. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

Like Andrew says, use DimVision.

If your a VenomMancer (Like Myself), the you use LR and then PN finishes them off.

It's surprising how many people always claim I'm lagging them with my 12 Skeletons, Gumby, and Might merc. But once gloams are around, you don't here the complaining any more.

Go figure.....

HoS

4. Dazze

Dazze IncGamers Member

ain't that the truth he he

5. Dausuul

Dausuul IncGamers Member

No, you can only have one shield active at a time. You can have a second one on weapon switch, but you only benefit from the one you're using at any given point. The other is effectively in your inventory.

No, it isn't. While a few shields are limited to one or two sockets, you can have up to three on most, and you can get four on certain elite shields. However, the only non-paladin shields that can have four sockets require very high Strength to equip, much more than most necromancers want to blow on it.

That much is correct.

It's not all that difficult to get 75% lightning resist, even in Hell, if you really try. (You cannot go above 75% without equipment to increase your maximum lightning resist, such as the Guardian Angel unique templar coat.) However, 75% lightning resist is not a cure-all. Black Souls do physical as well as lightning damage with their blasts, and the lightning damage itself is so high that even when you take off 75% of it, the remaining 25% packs a nasty punch. My skelemancer in his "battle gear" (as opposed to his MF gear) has 75% lightning resist, but he still has to dodge around when fighting Black Souls and Burning Souls. He's just less likely to get zorched to death in a single volley.

6. wickedWinter

wickedWinter IncGamers Member

The *only* perscription, is more cowbell!

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

How 'bout adding a tgods vigor, and a blackhorns. Not that hard to find or get.

you can point and laugh at even diablo clone with that set up (I have ;) )

8. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Don't forget Wisp Projector. 10%-20% lightning Absorb.

You could always keep a Lightsabre on switch. Easy stats for a Necro to attain (25 STR, 136 DEX). Any skellies you lose on switch can just be brought back with the slain burning souls

9. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Tried Attract on some Gloams last night thinking this will be fun, boy was I wrong. Damn crossfires zapped me anyway and I wasn't being targetted :)

10. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

i just got attract last night and ran som hell pit runs and didn't see a benefit with 4 points in it ( 1 + 3).

11. Boooyakasha

Boooyakasha IncGamers Member

The last time I try my zon, I cast Slow Missle, all the Lightning travel in slow speed, and the whole screen is full of them, it is a sight to be seen :)

12. Krollin

Krollin IncGamers Member

Attact works well when you want to take the heat off your Merc or other buddies when they are being overrun in melee. You can still use Amp or Life Tap with it.

I find it useful when you get attacked by hordes of melee creatures, bigger than the hordes you get in The Pit.

DV is the curse of choice for dealing with ranged attackers of course.

13. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

the only problem I saw with attract was the mobs didn't seem to go after the cursed mob. more use is needed i think to verify :D

14. TPMdm

TPMdm IncGamers Member

Attract will cause monsters to consider the cursed monster as a target, they still might choose your merc and minions. Also, I don't think attract will cause a monster who is already engaged to disengage. But the next time the monster chooses a target he will have the cursed guy as an option.

15. Lothos

Lothos IncGamers Member

ok, maybe its the already engaged issue I was seeing then. I tried it in a panic that time till I got a CE to trigger which solved the problem at hand :D

16. SoulTaker

SoulTaker IncGamers Member

they use to scrae the **** out of all my charecters...but my new overlord has max lightning reists and 25 dr...its sad to see all my team members die when theres a mob of them in baals throne room, but they think im some sort of god becuase my life hardly even goes down...
    but, part of this maybe becuase they are targeting my skells and not me? hmmmmm....

17. Any1

Any1 Banned

Amen! I needs my cowbell. :cool:

18. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Yes Blackhorns works nicely with 75% Lighning Resist. I had great fun today working through the Worldstone keep facing 3 sets of Gloams on WK2, then Oblivion Knights on WK3 and BOTH together in the Throne of Destruction.

I picked up my Blackthorns yesterday and wanted to try it out so I carried it and swapped it out for my usual Harlequin Crest whenever gloams were around. The concentrated fire of say 6 gloams did still bring my life down but only slowly and a healing potion could easilly counter it even against Boss packs of gloams - not like the emergency gulp of a full rejuv which is normal practice. The damage was worse for my skellies that I had to replace several times (partly because without the Harle they were only 26 SM and 26 RS).

Overall, I had a great battle with the Gloams and Oblivion Knights (who killed my merc 3 times with IM :( ) ... But I went the whole way and extracted my revenge on their boss and he dropped Rakescar (Unique War Axe) hehehe. It took a long time but it was interesting and proved to my satisfaction lightning absorb is the way to deal with the dreaded Gloams in an easy and fairly safe way... try it and get that sense of satisfaction too :)

19. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

This in hell? I'm rather surprised... Gloams seem to do a hell lot more damage than a blackhorns can handle. Wait till you meet a coviction bosspack bloam/blacksoul.

20. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

Yes in Hell, with 75% Lightning resist and the 20% absorb from Blackhorns their basic damage is bad but not lethal. I agree a conviction boss pack of gloams or even one that is cold or fire enchanted (maybe I'm not sure yet if that carries over to the lightning strikes) needs to be watched very carefully. But a necro can deal the damage under "normal" circumstances without sucking down rejuves every 10 seconds. The worse part is that they kill my skellies with the multiple lightning strikes and that leaves me more vulnerable to other monsters, thank goodness for my 275 point bone armour ;)