Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

a post about duping

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thrawn_II, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Thrawn_II

Thrawn_II IncGamers Member

a post about duping

so yeah, when i first starte playing d2 i was taught by a guy who didnt care about duping. so i duped. and i dont really mind cheating on my own, but cheating in any way when interacting w/ other people isnt cool. so, i've had a attack of concience, and i dont want to dupe anymore. i've also figured out the amazingness of the ATMA stash, so i am going to start putting all of my items in a stash, not just saving them for easy duplication. so im wondering how/what items i can retrive according to SPF morals. i understand that the rules say also that no items are valid when found by a char that used dupes, luckily i actually found most of my stuff, but just tell me what to do in that situation. i was also wondering about things like charms and gems and potions, and if they are dupe-taboo as well. anyway, i want to giveaway tons of stuff, because its alotta fun, esp just giving away stashes of about a 100 items.

i basically asking for help w/ spf morals and jelp w/ atma dupe detection and flavie. thanks, and sorry about not realizing not to dupe early on.

2. Tolano

Tolano IncGamers Member

i would think that if you were to delete all but 1 copy of each item (assuming that they all have the same fingerprint) then you would be good to go. just get rid of all your current dupes, keep the originals, and never dupe again. oh, and there is a form of legit duping, which the game does on its own, its called the green breastplate.

as far as i know it is not good to dupe charms or pots, duping is cheating, period. i would say that you may have some trouble giving away items right now as you have just admitted that you dupe (or used to). give it a while though and establish yourself as a respectable spf member and then everything will be gravy. i am not really sure how to use atma dupe detection, i just let flavie tell me if i have any duplicate fingerprints, then delete accordingly.

3. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

If you want to be truly clean the only way is to delete all items and characters and start over. Characters created wearing duped items are considered tainted as well. What you do on your computer is up to you but if you're gonna be interacting I would think that this is your only option.

MAAM

4. tenaka

tenaka IncGamers Member

Any items found by chars using duped items are tainted, as well as items found by characters using items found by chars using items that were duped. And so on and so forth. Basically it sounds like either all your items would be tainted or some arent but they are mixed together and you can't tell which is which. The only way you should have chars interacting with the SPF is to start fresh with no items. This inculdes MP, tournaments, trading, giving away items and receiving givaways.

5. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

I agree with m.a.a.m here. I know someone who is doing the same thing, giving up their accumulated wealth and starting over. It happens all the time, usually voluntarily for a change of pace. It makes it exciting again, finding your first XXX item... read ron's post on restarting, he is enjoying it.

Anyway, yes, the only real way to get past the old dupes is to just start clean fresh. Many on here will be happy to set you up with some goodies, check the giveaway, etc. You'll be back on your feet in no time!

6. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Back when I was a fresh B.net convert, I came to this SPF and found a huge wealth of knowledge that I didn't know existed.

ATMA, uniques-that-aren't-Windforce, runewords-that-don't-contain-Zod, friends(!), the possibilities were endless. So I experimented. I hacked runes to make an "Honor" polearm. I wanted to see what it was like. I wanted to feel the rush of power, I just wasn't willing to put in the work to actually get the runes.

Y'know, B.net.

Like you, I filled up a huge stash of items, in the hopes that I could one day give them away. But I forgot about the illegal polearm, and left it on my merc. Hence, all those beautiful items were gained by a cheat.

I deleted the stash, deleted all my characters, and started over. Since then, I've found nearly every item in the game, and they're clean.

Lesson?

There's no "Honor" in cheating.

-GG

7. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

And therefore any items they find are also tainted. You can find great items by duping some Ists and AliBabas and such, but all the items you find from that character become tainted.

If all your characters always used duped items then you should delete all items and characters. For giveaways, no legit player will want an item found using duped items or a charm/item rerolled by duped gems or a crafted item made by duped items.

8. Thrawn_II

Thrawn_II IncGamers Member

ahh! oh well, i have an awesome giveaway from mhl12, which gave me the twinge of concience. i'll just use that. i prolly wont delete all of my chars, but i'll put em on a cd and lose it somewhere. its cool, this is a really cool forum, and its worth starting over. thanks guys.

9. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Welcome aboard.

I'll be posting an infinite giveaway soon, which might very well contain three copies of every item including Mini Diablo Action Figure! So if you need something, look me up in the Giveaway Thread in the next week or so.

-GG

10. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Play the game legit and it's more fun that way. Certainly more realistic.

I mean, dual Ist'ed Ali Babas? Realistically, that's nuts.

Legit players would not use Ists like that realistically.

I applaud you in going legit.

11. Gabriel74

Gabriel74 IncGamers Member

I just deleted all of my characters, and have gotten rid of almost all of my stuff. I plan on starting all over, in hopes that it will increase my love of the game. Don't worry to much about restarting. It should actually be a fun adventure.

12. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

I used to hack and dupe items which im sure might probably shock a few of the regulars on these boards.

But it is a dark past that I swore I would never hide or deny from anybody.

Mind you, we are talking a very long time ago, back in the days before LoD was released. When LoD was released, I sat there while the LoD was installing, ready to start using the newly updated haxxor program I had just downloaded would go with the new LoD items.
    That was a question I never answered.

While the LoD was installing, It dawned on me how wrong my wicked ways where. I was playing the game just to see how my hacked items would go, and I was not playing the game as it was meant to be.
    So I took the opportunity of a fresh start with LoD. I deleted every character, item, hacking software, you name it, it hit the recycle bin and permanetely erased.
    Five minutes later, My very first legit sorceress headed out into the wilderness in search of the den.

Ive never regretted it ever since. I now find hacking and duping disgusting and used my experience as a hacker to detect hacked and duped items before ATMA was released.

13. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Wow. Lots of dark histories... sending in the banninators! :lol:

Actually, this is a point I realized a while back. People cheat at games. All games. God mode, infinite lives, level select... alot of times these spice up a game you either have conquered to death or are just plain frustrated with. I don't hold it against them, nor think Diablo should/can be immune to something that plagues all games. Have your fun!

But, when I MP or trade with someone, I hope their indiscretions have remained entirely separate from their legit D2 life that is interacting with mine. I am glad that just about everyone here adheres to the code of conduct we hold ourselves to. It's a great thing. At another place, d2 mods are everywhere, and celebrated as much as "vanilla" d2. They are not looked down upon, or chided/chastised, and their adventures/finds can and are still shared with a friendly community. 'Course, they are upfront about it and keep them separate, but its that joy in gaming that keeps us all together. Let's all continue to enjoy diablo, hey?

:clap:

14. Kremtok

Kremtok IncGamers Member

^
    |
    |
    |

What he said.

15. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Hey, just because we're legit doesn't mean we can't be nuts. I resent that statement :) I used my only 2 ists on my Ali Baba and I see no problem with that. :lol:

Apart from what everyone has said, I just want to highlight the vast amt of items you can actually get from the give-aways etc, and if you win something from tourneys, eg. MFOs, there's the satisfaction factor too.

16. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I restarted shortly before i appeared on this forums (few weeks ago maybe?). I had some items that were suspicious to me at the time, so i pretty much deleted everything except for my barb's gear (which was junk in the first place) that i distinctly remembered to be completely self-found, and a couple of ears that remind me of the good old days. (and certainly not duped:p)
    i started an untiwnked char and after making it to hell in a hurry i draw the following conclusions:
    - it was really worth it. after doing some mf-ing, i realized how little value of those items represented, but on the other hand not having them gave me a lot better feeling later on.
    - it would have worth it even if i had a bunch of valuable but suspicious items. Restarting _is_ fun. It pretty much never happens with you again in your d2 career that you go off saying "woot a 3% life leech ring", or "yay, a +8 mana grand charm"! Have started a few new minions since and having a great time.

I have played other mp games before that were honor-based and i was amazed to find that there is usually less cheaters, than in places where they do great effort to avoid people gaining unfair advantage. Though when you think about it is not hard to understand. When somebody manages to cheat on bnet for example he can tell himself what a smart guy he was that he managed to trick the system (of course, using somebody elses idea, or a hack written by somebody else, but that would rarely prevent a cheater from taking pride in his act). On the other hand, a cheater on this forums (or any given honor-based mp society) would have no such joy, if there is nothing to be tricked, all he will be down with is the tought that he is not a gentleman like pretty much everybody else here. Hrrm. Am i going off topic? Now would be a good time to ban me.

...Am still here? Ok, well, I agree with everything Doug said. D2 is a game and cheaters are not criminals, nor bad people. Just dont scew other people's fun who struggle to stay in the realm of virtual legitimacy.

17. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

like has been said already: a fresh start is pretty much what is needed...

if you do need some twinking gear i'm sure that people will be willing to help out.

you can PM me if you need stuff and i'll do what i can to kit you out.

good of you to be honest and up front with the forumites

:) matt

18. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I think it is simple as every other games. so long as you don't effect others, you can do whatever you want. eg Play god mod in FPS might be fun, but play with other in MP or compete in PvP is certainly bannable. The general gamers don't like cheat (eg. god mod), but there is chooice to do so, as long as it doesn't affect others.

19. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

Fresh start yeaaaaa.

If you need some items to equip a new char send me a pm with your needs and i'll try to send you some items.

:)

Congrats in the decision.

20. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I 2xIsted my Alibaba. What else would I do with it? Both Ists were Hellforge quests. It's a matter of play time, not "legit" if you have a couple extra Ists in your stash. I learned here a long time ago, not to call someone illigit simply because they had more stuff than I did.