Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A possible suggestion along with the changes to the forums <

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by cour de mal, May 3, 2008.

1. cour de mal

cour de mal IncGamers Member

A possible suggestion along with the changes to the forums

Along with all the other changes being made around the forums, I wanted to suggest something and see if it's possible. This community is built on the contributions of all the members, but there are some who contribute above and beyond the average member. I was wondering if there was some good way to recognize those people. Since I joined I have mostly used post count as a rough guide to who is a pillar of the community, but there are some people here who don't post a ton but still do a lot to build the sense of community and help make this place a great place to be.

So here's the suggestion: Create a status that you get via nomination. Something that would either be added as a line to your profile, or show up as an icon like the pal icon that would signify that you are someone who has made exceptional contributions to the cohesiveness of this forum community. I know some other forums have things like this and they can get watered down or abused, but I was thinking of something where there would be a nomination thread, or nominations sent to mods, giving the mods and admins control of who and how many got this special status.

I'm thinking of this for the people who patiently answer questions for people (no matter how many times they see the same questions), doing price checks for everyone, as well as the people who just regularly do acts of kindness or generosity like giving new players entire sets of equipment to help them get started, offering free rushes, etc.

I know I have benefited greatly from the generosity and forbearance of a number of the members of this forum, and as a result I do what I can to pas that on to other people here as whatever help I can give, but it would be nice if there was some way to give recognition to those people who really make this place the great community that it is.

Anyhow, I don't know how hard it would be for the admins to make something like this work, and I may be alone it my interest in this, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  2. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

Re: A possible suggestion along with the changes to the forums

It's a good idea, but the concept of kudos-based systems of rating has been discussed in the past as being somewhat unworkable. There's always the fear that it would be open to abuse, or that grudges would spring up where one person was nominated over another.

I know the sorts of people you're referring to and the satisfaction of being decent individuals is all they ask for :grin:

3. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

I think it's a great idea and that it could work fine if the ruleset was strictly designed. As for status to helpfulness, that would be quite tough as the jury has to shuffle through all the posts and see if it's valueble or not. It would be an awesome asset in any case, I can definitely nominate 10 people out of my head for special statuses.

4. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

You mean, like a rating system? That could work (with proper moderation). I already have many people who I want to reward with +'s :grin:

5. cour de mal

I was thinking something with anonymous nominations. You could PM a mod when someone does something particularly praiseworthy, or through some other hidden nomination system (like the "report this post" function, only + instead of -) so that only the mods would see the nominations. I think that would prevent some of the hurt feelings/flame wars over whether or not someone deserved a nomination. Plus the mods could nominate people they see doing especially pro-social things.

6. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

I agree. However, I think that a few "neutral" - "negative" nominations are in order, too. When someone mouthes off alot, he does not necessarily deserve a ban, but he could be nominated for something negative, which might encourage him to better his attitude, or risk getting b&.

7. cour de mal

There is something to that, but I could see the negative nomination system being abused more easily. I suppose that if it was all in the hands of the mods it would work, like if you got a bad rating each time a mod had to warn you about your behavior, but mostly I'd like to see some way of recognizing goodness rather than punishing badness. We already have means in place for dealing with misbehavior.

8. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

The idea is ok, but it should not include an enormous increase of workload for the mods IMO.

9. cour de mal

Yeah, that's the one worry I would have about it, that it could deluge the mods with nominations. If there was a way to set up a thread where anyone can post, but only mods can read the postings that could avoid ovewhelming them, but I'm not sure if that's possible. Also I think that it should take more than a single nomination to get someone recognized. It should be recognition for a consistant pattern of behavior.

As I said, it would be a nice thing if it worked out, but it would be a perk and thus should not take up very much of the mods time.

10. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

If you think for one minute someone who mouths off doesn't get a PM or other correspondence from a Mod, you are wrong. Most of what we do is behind the scenes via PM, warnings or infractions. We just don't necessarily post about it every time.

As for a reputation status; it isn't something I would want to see. Post count is NO INDICATION of helpfulness and yes some of the most helpful people I've seen have very low postcounts. You're better off lurking and reading a little to find out who the good/knowledgeable guys are rather than thinking someone knows what they're talking about because they answer every thread going.

But do we really want to see a reputation factor? No I don't think so. The good guys are here ... we ban the rest. It's that simple.

As for it not taking up much of our time; are you kidding? We're volunteers here. There's enough to do as it is without adding extraneous kudos levels to people.

11. lukefojut

Evolution of an idea!

12. cour de mal

Thyiad is right of course. I don't know what sort of workload the mods have (although I assume it is more than most of us would guess), and I originally hadn't thought of the extra work it would make for them. Since Thyiad's post pretty much answers the question of whether this sort of thing is feasible or desireable, that's pretty much the end of that.

13. lukefojut

Unless they took on a 'kudos mod'. But I suspect that job would be something of a poison chalice, even in the unlikely event it was ok'ed

14. Gorny

Gorny Banned

That's as useless as having a mod for the mod forum.

15. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

Well who's to keep you guys/girls in place then?

16. lukefojut

Thanks for the constructive criticism Aragorny :thumbsup:

17. Thyiad

Perhaps Pals ought to have their own Mod ....

18. Gorny

Gorny Banned

We do answer to Elly.

It seems like you might have an issue with a certain moderator, or moderators perhaps?

If that's the case, then you might want to PM them with concerns.

19. Crowd Control

Crowd Control Banned

No, no I'm happy with the Mods as is. Great interaction, sense of humor most of the time, strict moderating, no problems there. It's the Admins that make me wonder. Though they fill a totally different role, I find there lack of interaction a bit distressing. Especially since they are online alot now pimping the layout. I guess if you see the forums as a democracy; Mods representing the Forumites and them answering to the Admins. If that's the case I gladly would vent my opinion about various things through the Mods. As long as I know my voice is heard or even taken into consideration. But this is the second thread I've brought up this issue and I don't want to be a burden, sharing my issues in multiple threads multiple times.

20. Thyiad

Admins do have PM boxes too. I know. I've spammed them. :grin:

And I hate to repeat myself but I'm old so I'm going to.