Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Poor Mans MFer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Fux0r, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Fux0r

Fux0r IncGamers Member

A Poor Mans MFer

This Guide is for people who have some gear but not much. It is very simple and easy to follow. The Poor Mans Mfer is a Necromancer. The Necro can survive Hell with less gear then any other build and is skilled in doing Pit Runs, Pindle Runs, Meph Runs, Diablo Runs, Baal Runs. Actually, he can pretty much handle anything with the exception of the Glacial Trial (the bodies tend to shatter to ice cubes,) and the High Council (the summons are distracted by the monsters in the water.)

Critical Mercenary Information:
    Before getting started with the Necro build read this first. The build requires a strong mercenary. I suggest an Act 2 Combat Merc for Normal, and switch to an Act 2 Offensive Merc in NM.

Skill Tree:

20 Skeleton Mastery
    20 Skeletons
    20 Blood Golem *Please see notation at bottom
    20 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist
    1 Revive
    1 Amplify Damage
    1 Life Tap
    1 Corpse Explosion

Stats:

Strength: Enough to wear your gear
    Dexterity: Enough to wear your gear
    Vitality: All remaining Stats will go here
    Energy: Around 50 without gear equipped

Gear:

Helmet: One with skill adds and MF is ideal (i.e. Tarnems or Shako)
    Ammy 1: anything with Summon Skills and/or MF (skills take priority over MF here)
    Ammy 2: Teleport Charges
    Weapon: Arm of King Leoric
    Armor: Skin of the Vipermagi, Que-hans Wisdom, or Skulders Ire
    Shield: Rhyme, Lidless Wall, or Homunculus
    Gloves: Magefists, Frostburns, or Chance Guard
    Rings: Nagel Ring Rings
    Belt: Goldwrap
    Boots: A pair with MF, Cow Kings, or Travelers are great

Merc Gear:

Helmet: Vampire Gaze, or Tal-rashs Helm
    Armor: The highest Defense armor you can find or Shaft Stop
    Weapon: The best Polearm Weapon you can find. Hawinns works all right, Bonehew Amn Hel works great.

Suggestion:

If you really like this build try these items on him latter he will be a PvM God, I calculated them all with Skeles in comparison to other weapons.

Helmet: Shako Socketed P Topaz
    Ammy: 3 Summoning Skills + MF (magical ammy)
    Weapon: Beast (rune word)
    Armor: Enigma (rune word) Wyrmhide
    Shield: Homunculus (Isted)
    Gloves: Chance Guard
    Rings: SOJ + Natures Peace**Please see notation at bottom
    Belt: Arachnid
    Boots: War Travelers or Marrow Walks (you choose MF or Dmg)
    Charms: Annilus, Gheeds, Summon Skill Charms

Mercenary Gear:

Helmet: Andies Socketed with Tal rune
    Armor: Bramble (rune word)
    Weapon: Ethereal Doom (rune word) Giant Thresher

Notations:

*I know that that Blood Golem IM combo doesn't work anymore. The reason I used Blood Golem was that my PCs low virtual memory created lag like effects almost all the time. The Blood Golem kept me alive. If you have a fast PC, then you may want to use different skills other then Blood Golem and Golem Mastery

**The Rest in Peace Mod doesn't actually work unless you kill the monster yourself (i.e. Corpse Explosion) The level 5 Oak Sage is a nice thing to have in your army and usually stays well defended.

2. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

has DK seen your username?

4. tl998

tl998 Banned

I'm getting very sick of people who have no idea what 'poor' and 'rich' are. Arm of king leoric is basically the best weapon any skelemancer can hope for. This is like suggestion that a 'poor' hammerdin go mf with a HOTO flail. Grow a brain. When you started your first chars, did you have skulders, que-hagans, shakos, Bramble, Doom, etc? Next he's going to tell us that poor barbs can do well with BoTD. This thread was good for a cheap laugh tho.

In conclusion, I can ONLY deduce one of two things:

1) The author is kidding and is making a lame joke
    2) The author was completely drunk off his BUTT (or high on drugs) when he made this post.

5. HarbingersOfSouls

HarbingersOfSouls IncGamers Member

Sorry, but I wouldn't call the equipment a "poor man's".

Need to think like a total noob(or starting on ladder for the first time), and you have nothing.

When you start mfing, it usually 3 topaz helm, 4 topaz, and so on.

Though build wise, I can agree on.

HoSv2

6. Fux0r

Fux0r IncGamers Member

The guide isn't called First MFer for one thing. In reference to the suggestion, that is an items list to refer to after your MFer is so poor anymore. I thought that was made clear.

I said in the beginning of the guide, "For a player that has somethings but not alot."

Alternatives are given with the expensive items, and this was the second character I made on the ladder after my fire sorc. Mabey you should refer to my guide "From Rags to Riches." This guide, my druid guide, and that guide all go hand in hand. Anyways, its only a guide. If your really so new at this that you can't get these items then mabey you should try improvising?

Jesus, you try to help people and all they do is *****.

7. tl998

tl998 Banned

Your 'guides' needto be more clear. If you're confusing this many people something must be wrong. And I don't see you listing alternatives ALL of the equipment slots. Guides can't really assume that the reader will just magically have all the items listed, and need to provide alternatives for every slot. Still, your title is -very- misleading no matter what. People come into this thread, expeting tips on mfing when they're DIRT POOR, in other words, when they're new. I mean, if you already have shako, skulders, arm of king leoric etc by the time you make this 'poor man' mf build, WHY BOTHER? You obviously already have a a working MF character before (your sorc, for example).

8. HarbingersOfSouls

Maybe you should be ALOT cleared then.....and pull your head outta your @zz. If you can't take people questioning your guide, the go back to the drood forum and post it there.

Jesus, you make a comment on a noob guide, and all they do is cry like a *****

HoSv2

9. tl998

tl998 Banned

Ok I shouldn't be laughing when I read that..bit I did. It was strangely satisfying for some odd reason.

10. HarbingersOfSouls

3) The author wants to bring much humor and :drink: to MM.
    4) Will get worse comments than mine from other fellow Necro Vets( I could name a few)
    5)If Blood Golem is only one that he can use(due to cpu speed), then Gumby would lag him with his slowness.
    6) Has brought humor to an otherwise slow night.
    7) Made me want to go to sleep now(and turn over in my grave)

*Names a few Fellow Necro Vets(by request)
    **And in no particular order

Mad Mantis :drink: (my drinking buddy)
    TheFatty (My Homie)
    Beatboxer (My Homie...and lives in my city)
    LyteHammer(my RoadDawg...(5) 16+ hours days)
    (Almost everyone the posts in the UsWest ladder post)
    Any Necro Vet with common sense.

HoSv2

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Some questions. Why not use Amp? What is u with the Golem? He needs an awful lot of points. If you want safety you can distribute these many different ways and be safer and faster than you are now.

Same here. Poor = No items. None. Only what you find in drops. The fact that a build, besides a theme build, needs certain equipment makes it a failed build IMO.

3) That is one goal I can support. Care to join me HoS? :drink: :buddies:

7) Whenever I turn over in my Grave my back rubs against the stone covering the grave. :grrr: I need to get this fixed.

12. HarbingersOfSouls

How can I turn down an offer like that...from the greatest drinker here?

:drink: :buddies:

HoSv2

13. jmprockstar

Fux0r:

I thought the point of posting builds was for us to consider them, critique them, and give you an opportunity to post it again later taking into consideration the criticism presented. Respond to the criticism. It's not helpful for anyone to whine about how others disagree with you. Your response reminds me of a cat bringing a dead rat to the feet of its owner and appearing upset when the owner flings the corpose out the window.

What you gave us wasn't a perfect beginner's MF build; arguably, it was not a "poor man's" MFer but a "middle class man's" MFer, someone who us lucked out on some good items, traded for some MF items, but hasn't quite gotten all the great items one needs for solid MF. That actually better suits the description you quote yourself as saying, "For a player who has somethings [sic] but not alot [sic]." But, in D2X, being poor is not having "somethings" but having NOTHING. The fact that we ALL noticed this should indicate to you that there are some problems that you should recognize and correct.

This is a good idea for a build, since it meets a demand for many new players who need a plan about how to build ladder characters. To that extent, you are doing a good thing here. To the extent that you believe you have finished your task, you are kidding yourself.

I would have liked to see the other guides you cited as making you an authority on this matter, but you do not link them. It would have been helpful for us to see if you do better work elsewhere. Perhaps in the Druid Forum (which I occassion) you have greater status and respect, since the number of regular posters there is so much smaller; you know what they say about big fish in a small pond. Here, it seems, there are a lot of people who have strong friendships held together by years of playing together; it's not as easy to impress them. Their experience at least matches, although it likely exceeds, your own; respect that.

I'm not one of these experience people (you will know them by their use of these two smilies: :buddies: :drink: ), and it was still obvious that this build needs improvements. If that makes me or any other respondent ungrateful in your eyes, then don't respond to us; it will do us all a favor. However, if you merely disagree with us, then explain your views. Everyone here put some time into our own responses, you would do well to do us the same courtesy.

14. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Sig worthy. :thumbsup:

Care for a pint? :drink:

15. HarbingersOfSouls

He should feel like: A little worm on a big F~~~ing hook.

I agreed to his build for the most part...but he kinda had a temper tantum when he didn't like something he read. Like I said in my first post, need to try to put yourself into a noobs(or even starting on the ladder) shoes....when he has nothing and needs help just to learn how to play.

But, his response was something that a Romper Room reject(maybe alot before most people's time...but ask the parent's about Romper Room) would do though.

Anyway, jmprockstar...when MM offers you a pint...never turn him down :drink: :buddies:

HoSv2

16. jmprockstar

I never refuse! :drink:

And a round on me (even for FuX0r)! :buddies:

17. jmprockstar

You're right to say that one who would build a poor man's guide to MF ought to include an assumption that many of the poor are also new to the game, and so, should make no assumptions about gameplay, such as what gear on which character (in this case, the Necromancer) and where to look. Even so, I still believe the items he list are even too expensive for a noob or a poor man.

And I still think FuX0r has a great idea in making this build. I would have benefited from it, had it been around when I started playing 1.10 ladder. It just has a lot of room for improvement. :) If he won't make one, I'll make one.

I didn't realize the standing Mad Mantis had! In that case, I'm honored!

:buddies:

18. HarbingersOfSouls

It's basically the build I had when I started ladder. And did really well as a mfer also(using the perfect topaz helm and armor)

HoSv2

19. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

drink up fellas :drink:

Oh and since this is my second week on 1.10 bnet and I'm making my first mfer, let me go grab out my ethereal DOOM giant thresher and tal's andy's visage and Bramble armor TO PUT ON MY MERCENARY!

Honestly fuxor, It's nice of you to try to make a guide, but what poor man has all that crap to put on his mercenary? May I ask you, what is the RICH man's mercenary's gear???

You need to relable your guide, or your thread, or change all your gear, or something. It's all very misleading.

--fatty (recovering from Girl Scout cookies :buddies: )

20. Pallidum

Pallidum IncGamers Member

I don't know man, it seems to me the original poster has a right to feel a little annoyed. I mean, here's a guy who's just trying to help people by typing what he thought was "relatively" cheap mf gear. He listed items and strategies, and he probably put a good half and hour-hour in typing all that up. I liked the presentation with the use of colors and footnotes.

And whats the first response he got? A post with "grow a brain", and "your guide is a lame joke." I mean cmon, constructive criticism is one thing, downright flaming is another.

Anyway, nice guide, maybe you can substitute some gears around for the really poor who can only afford wealth armor and topaz helm, etc.