A pointer from light sorcs

alexmatusiak

Diabloii.Net Member
A pointer from light sorcs

Hey

I just want to grab some advice from players with experience playing lightning heavy sorcs. I've always played fire/ice sorcs but I like the idea of the lightning caster (maybe the added bit of randomness in damage, maybe because I've RARELY used lightning).

Mostly, what people use as thier main lightning attack, basic stat distribution and a backup attack form for immunies.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Alex

Talon0835

Diabloii.Net Member
There's a CL/Orb guide that's stickied on the forum. That works quite well. If you don't like CL, you can go with Lightning instead. None of the other Lightning skills really work as well as those two anymore. Nova's too dangerous as you need to get surrounded for it to be very effective and it has no synergies. Charged Bolt might still work. As far as I know it wasn't changed from 1.09.

As a secondary skill, Orb is the best even though Firewall is apparently viable at this point. Orb is better, IMO, 'cause you can do damage all across the room quickly while slowing and it also works very well on single monsters.

alexmatusiak

Diabloii.Net Member
Talon0835 said:
There's a CL/Orb guide that's stickied on the forum. That works quite well. If you don't like CL, you can go with Lightning instead. None of the other Lightning skills really work as well as those two anymore. Nova's too dangerous as you need to get surrounded for it to be very effective and it has no synergies. Charged Bolt might still work. As far as I know it wasn't changed from 1.09.

As a secondary skill, Orb is the best even though Firewall is apparently viable at this point. Orb is better, IMO, 'cause you can do damage all across the room quickly while slowing and it also works very well on single monsters.
Only thing I've heard against Orb is the 5 re-requisites ... vs say the 2 for firewall (i believe).

Stiertje

Diabloii.Net Member
alexmatusiak said:
Only thing I've heard against Orb is the 5 re-requisites ... vs say the 2 for firewall (i believe).
Orb is much more usefull. Firewall needs a stationary target to work. Moving targets are very hard. Hence the need of a good tank is apparent. Orb may be somewhat less powerfull then Firewall in stats, it makes it up for aimability, spammability, the fact that it slows targets and the way Cold Mastery works wonders even with a few points invested.

ventilator

Diabloii.Net Member
Talon0835 said:
Charged Bolt might still work. As far as I know it wasn't changed from 1.09.
Synergized CB works as an efficient single target killer with around +10 skills in 8ppl Hell games. Just tele on top of enemys and spam them with the spell so that all bolts hit one target. For it to be a room cleaner you'll want very dedicated equipment with +20skills 105%FC and -enemy LR. I.E. Griffons and Facets are a must.

alexmatusiak

Diabloii.Net Member
Does anyone still use CL as thier main attack?

My thoughts were to max CL and either Lightning or CB (or both .. synergies to CL) and use them on switch (situational).

m0nk

Diabloii.Net Member
alexmatusiak said:
Does anyone still use CL as thier main attack?

My thoughts were to max CL and either Lightning or CB (or both .. synergies to CL) and use them on switch (situational).

CL plays a big role in the CL/FO build but the true strength of the build is knowing when to use FO, L, and CL. All have their uses - strengths and weaknesses - and they all compliment each other well.

There are a few pure lightning builds out there that use CL as thier main attack. The reason being they have enough synergies to make CL have a high enough damage to render the other skills weak in comparison. If you have a dual tree sorc though, CL needs some help every now and then.

wind

Diabloii.Net Member
I built a CL/FW sorc and use CL as a main attack. There's a lot of fun using fire when encountering LIs, definitely need a good merc to help pull it off. But as it stands now the sorcs main attack is a bit weak compared to some others. I think using a Griffons eye and a facet would change that quick, trouble is finding them, they don't drop every day.

Celandro

Diabloii.Net Member
Pure CL sorc here.

You absolutely must get items that reduce enemy lightning resist for the build to be effective. Thats Griffons Eye, 4 item tal orb, lightning facets and..

Crescent moon rune word. Its extremely effective (imo the most effective) weapon for lightning sorcs. And it only costs an um rune and a 3 socket sword.

couio

Diabloii.Net Member
Celandro said:
Pure CL sorc here.
You absolutely must get items that reduce enemy lightning resist for the build to be effective. Thats Griffons Eye, 4 item tal orb, lightning facets and..

Crescent moon rune word. Its extremely effective (imo the most effective) weapon for lightning sorcs. And it only costs an um rune and a 3 socket sword.
Crescent moon (first time I saw that I thought about the ammy... let me tell you I searched for the -res on it for a long time :sleep: ) might cost only an um to get, but it costs +3 skills, 20% res all, 30% faster cast rate, 80% mf, +3 mana per kill, etc to wear... you sure it's worth it that much? The mf and fcr most importantly is making me think thrice about it. When you list items with -res, you mean like how much -res needed? would a -20% Griffon with a 5/5 facet be enough? MAYBE also a 5/5 facet Occy insted of isted? -25-30% resist seems decent, no? Or do you have other -res sources added to the Crescent? I have to admit -35% on a single item seems very nice and I definitely intend to try it, but it's almost the only mod on it... the magic absorb doesn't seem impressive at all, and +2 mana is really not much, especially since weapon is my only source of it. I'm really hoping to reach 105% fcr and scraping fcr on weapon makes that almost impossible, while using Griffon makes that almost easy... only need 10 more than on my current (shako) setup, which is why I'm hunting lvl 87+ ammies like a nut in the hoping of crafting a godly +2, 10% fcr, +all res (and hopeful even more useful mods) ammy to replace maras. If only I had a lvl 95, would make this much easier... oh well.

Celandro

Diabloii.Net Member
couio said:
Crescent moon (first time I saw that I thought about the ammy... let me tell you I searched for the -res on it for a long time :sleep: ) might cost only an um to get, but it costs +3 skills, 20% res all, 30% faster cast rate, 80% mf, +3 mana per kill, etc to wear... you sure it's worth it that much? The mf and fcr most importantly is making me think thrice about it. When you list items with -res, you mean like how much -res needed? would a -20% Griffon with a 5/5 facet be enough? MAYBE also a 5/5 facet Occy insted of isted? -25-30% resist seems decent, no? Or do you have other -res sources added to the Crescent? I have to admit -35% on a single item seems very nice and I definitely intend to try it, but it's almost the only mod on it... the magic absorb doesn't seem impressive at all, and +2 mana is really not much, especially since weapon is my only source of it. I'm really hoping to reach 105% fcr and scraping fcr on weapon makes that almost impossible, while using Griffon makes that almost easy... only need 10 more than on my current (shako) setup, which is why I'm hunting lvl 87+ ammies like a nut in the hoping of crafting a godly +2, 10% fcr, +all res (and hopeful even more useful mods) ammy to replace maras. If only I had a lvl 95, would make this much easier... oh well.
I do have a Griffons Eye(25) and I do use a crescent moon. My other fcr comes from a ring (10), magefist(20), arach mesh, and vipermagi(30) which gives 105. I currently use a stormshield for resists and DR. When teleporting around for baal runs, I use stormshield + wizspike + tgods, then weapon switch to lidless + crescent moon to clear the minions. lvl 35 lightning spells, -59% enemy light resist and 77+ fcr clears out the minions very quickly. For Mephisto runs, I use tal armor and belt, weapon switch ali baba + rhyme. For pit runs I just use ali baba + stormshield to kill things... And yes, my stash is full of different gear lol.

My main point though, is that crescent moon is by far the cheapest way to get - enemy light resist. It also is the highest damage weapon available for a pure light sorc, especially against mobs with resists.